Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To take child with a temperature to a birthday party

(35 Posts)
PiratePanda Sat 15-Feb-14 08:30:23

Posting in here for a quick response. I'm pretty sure IWBU but here goes:

It's DS's best nursery friend's birthday party today; they're inseparable. DS, however, has been off nursery since Thursday afternoon with a temperature, and he still has it this morning.

He's not particularly poorly - he's jumping around and playing with lego; basically it's just a bad cold. But he does have a temperature.

He will be devastated not to go to the party and so will the birthday girl. But I really do have to keep him home don't I?

saintlyjimjams Sat 15-Feb-14 08:31:40

Yes. Sorry!

lollylaughs Sat 15-Feb-14 08:34:37

I really wouldn't send him.

hercules1 Sat 15-Feb-14 08:36:02

He can't go. If no temp then yes.

MoominsYonisAreScary Sat 15-Feb-14 08:36:06

I wouldnt, but then my eldest sons half brother had a high temp last weekend, was perfectly fine in himself but has come down with scarlet fever this week so now im sat with fingers crossed that my 4 dont get it sad

shallweshop Sat 15-Feb-14 08:37:06

If he is not poorly with it and it is just a cold then I would. Whatever he has he has probably caught it from nursery anyway so all the nursery kids are likely to have had it or get it. As long as there aren't any children going with suppressed immune systems or anything like that then I would let him go.

TarteAuxRiz Sat 15-Feb-14 08:37:27

Ywbu. It's half term, no one wants their kids sick at half term.

Tryharder Sat 15-Feb-14 08:38:08

Hmm. If he's feeling OK I'd probably taKe him. You can always leave if he stArts to feel worse.

TwinkleSparkleBling Sat 15-Feb-14 08:40:45

Too I'll for school/nursery too I'll to go out. I'd call birthday mum though and explain.

TwinkleSparkleBling Sat 15-Feb-14 08:41:28

whoops ill not I'll blush

Lucylouby Sat 15-Feb-14 08:42:23

has he had some kind of medicine for his temperature? If so, that is why he is jumping around playing with lego. The symptoms have been masked but he is still poorly and contagious. There are some really nasty bugs at the moment, please don't intentionally pass them on.

coldwater1 Sat 15-Feb-14 08:43:50

No do not take him. Its not fair on all the other children who may possibly have escaped it so far!

Jinty64 Sat 15-Feb-14 08:46:59

If you turned up with an unwell child at my child's birthday party I wouldn't invited you again.

PiratePanda Sat 15-Feb-14 08:47:29

Yes, he's had nurofen so that's probably what's cheered him up. Dear god please don't let it be scarlet fever!

Poor child; I'll keep him home.

MyCatLovesMeSometimes Sat 15-Feb-14 08:49:19

We had to cancel DD 3rd birthday party as she was ill with a temperature (which later manifested as a febrile seizure with the excitement of seeing grandparents anyway).

If he's running a temperature and goes to a party the over-excitement could cause that. Plus it's not fair on the other children.

MoominsYonisAreScary Sat 15-Feb-14 08:49:26

Luckily he jas a mild case but the hospital have said they are seeing an increase in cases at the moment

lljkk Sat 15-Feb-14 08:52:08

yanbu, I am taking DS today. He was very very hot last night in spite of Calpol.

It's HIS Own party. wink
I did consider cancelling, 2 of the parents I have no contact details for and the venue is 17 miles away. Better to chance it.

We went to a party once where Birthday boy had scarlet fever; he'd been on antibiotics for a day and although less than his usual self still had fun. no regrets.

WaitMonkey Sat 15-Feb-14 09:09:57

Glad you've decided not to take him, good decision.

toospottytofly Sat 15-Feb-14 09:25:22

Glad you're not taking him. For those of you who would, you've got no idea if there are children like mine with immune system problems. I took my son to a party where birthday boy was doped on calpol. Four hours later he was clearly ill and asleep in another room. My child spent over a week in hospital. Other children who were at school with birthday boy didnt go as they were all ill too. So bug spread to another school, one kid hospitalised, birthday boy asleep and not many guests. Still can't understand why we weren't warned.

lljkk Sat 15-Feb-14 09:55:44

The venue we're going to today is minging (today's 6yo chose it, not me). I only bathe sporadically and even I itch to take a bath after spending time there. Anyone that immune compromised would be wise to never set food in the place.

Come to think of it, one of our No RSVPs was from a child with organ transplant, so that fits.

DD would be bounding around as normal for the first few hours after Calpol and then drop very quickly as it wore off. You're doing the right thing.

PiratePanda Sat 15-Feb-14 10:03:07

Ugh - minging venues never a good idea. This one was super posh but I rang the mum and explained and she understood (even if our children won't). I think I'll arrange a special playdate for them later.

TheGonnagle Sat 15-Feb-14 10:09:14

Can I just give you an immunocompromised 'thank you so much for being thoughtful'. Those of us with zero immune system due to random medical trials and tribulations need more thoughtful people like you around!

Brices Sat 15-Feb-14 10:10:26

I wouldn't too poorly to attend nursery too poorly for party, what a shame for him. Hope he feels better soon

ihatethecold Sat 15-Feb-14 10:23:23

I'm suprised you actually have to ask other people something which is so blindingly obvious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now