Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked that this utterly appalling crime hasn't received more coverage (WARNING v upsetting)...

(15 Posts)
ReputableBiscuit Sat 15-Feb-14 08:05:26

Infant boy murdered in his bed by psychopath who tricked his way into the family home:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-26174888

ReputableBiscuit Sat 15-Feb-14 08:05:56

m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-26174888

ReputableBiscuit Sat 15-Feb-14 08:07:57

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2558706/Boy-4-murdered-slept-bed-psychopath-lived-door-Childs-kind-mother-stepfather-let-former-soldier-stay-home-taking-pity-him.html

ElenorRigby Sat 15-Feb-14 08:11:07

Horrid, I saw this yesterday. Poor boy sad
A father killed his 11yo son, a couple of days ago. So so depressing.

gingermop Sat 15-Feb-14 08:12:05

utterly appalled, upset, awful sad hadn't heard a thing in news about this

NaggingNellie Sat 15-Feb-14 08:47:09

God that is horrific I'm surprised it hasn't done the rounds on facebook and been all over the tv, ....although ...why on earth was a 'bullying, violent alcoholic' staying with a family with small children, hate these cases seems like a case of neglect too on some level.

gertrudetrain Sat 15-Feb-14 09:01:05

This cas

gertrudetrain Sat 15-Feb-14 09:07:16

Ooops sorry. My phone went funny.

This case is from my hometown. The local papers have covered it extensively but the nationals only seem to have picked it up when he was sentenced to a whole life tariff.

The details are really sad. I feel so sorry for his twin brother. I'm not sure about the neglect aspect Nellie all the other children are still living with their mum and I'm sure social care have done assessments etc after the death. Both the victims family and the perpetrators are well known in Keighley. Perhaps the family have wanted reporting to be limited to facts published at court?

MinimalistMommi Sat 15-Feb-14 09:13:46

It's because the storm is taking up so much if the news sad

LegoCaltrops Sat 15-Feb-14 09:15:11

I wasn't aware of it until very recently, & it's quite local to me. (less than 10miles.) Saw it in local paper yesterday. Horrible. But, from how it was described in the paper, it doesn't sound like the family were neglectful, the perpetrator basically tricked them into letting him stay, said people were after him & he needed to sleep on their floor.

MsVestibule Sat 15-Feb-14 09:18:26

I only read about this yesterday; maybe there were reporting restrictions? I believe the murderer was only staying overnight on the family's sofa as an emergency measure, so not sure how there is any element of neglect, Nellie?

It is beyond horrific, I can't begin to imagine how the parents felt when they found him.

CaptainSinker Sat 15-Feb-14 09:19:02

Nellie the man was a "friendly" neighbour who was given the sofa for the night when he told the family he had trouble at home. It wasn't like they were a crash pad for strangers.

NaggingNellie Sat 15-Feb-14 09:27:03

Did they know about his tendencies? it is irresponsible to let a stranger in the house when you have small children , as good and charitable as your intentions may be.

Whathaveiforgottentoday Sat 15-Feb-14 09:39:29

i read this and thought it was horrific. I got the impression they were just being good neighbours. I can imagine that weren't happy with him staying but who would imagine he would go onto kill your child. You just wouldn't consider it would you?

DustyBaubles Sat 15-Feb-14 09:41:13

I suppose it didn't get huge coverage as there was never any doubt as to what had happened.

At the same time, as the parents were not responsible, the papers wouldn't have had a 'look at these dreadful people' angle to sensationalise.

I know what Nellie means though. If I knew the sort of people who were prone to hiding out so that others didn't beat them up, I certainly wouldn't be inviting them into our lives. Most people would walk away from people like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now