Talk

Advanced search

To find Fiona Bruce intensely annoying as a newsreader?

(60 Posts)
YouStayClassySanDiego Fri 14-Feb-14 18:37:20

I mean really, her head bobs around, ducking left and right with the odd shoulder dip thrown in. I spend time analysing her and forget what she's saying.

Fucking hell Fiona, rein it in, it's ANNOYING.

Less is more, and all that.

I do like Huw the best.

<pours another glass and dh has flicked over to itv4>

And breathe.

SantanaLopez Fri 14-Feb-14 18:40:23

I like Fiona!

My newsreader rage is directed at Catriona Shearer. I hate that woman.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 14-Feb-14 18:41:29

She's too dramatic, with all the 'I can't believe what I'm reading!' head shaking and eyebrow raising. I want her to just read it, I don't need to know what she thinks, she's just providing information.

MardyBra Fri 14-Feb-14 18:41:32

I find her eyebrows strangely unsettling.

ListenToTheLady Fri 14-Feb-14 18:46:34

I was just watching Fiona right now and got the rage when she said "subatomic particles called neutrinos" with a SPECIAL bob of the head and strange wrinkle of the nose as if to say "well well, those silly scientists, what are they up to now?" angry

I think the more you've noticed her head-bobbing and silly looks, the more it winds you up.

However I love Catriona Shearer! She always looks like has just got back from a wild night out and can't quite be arsed, then smirks inappropriately at completely the wrong things. Me and DP always rate her "late night goth club" outfits grin

YouStayClassySanDiego Fri 14-Feb-14 18:49:50

Yes, those eyebrows!

Also, on the introduction headline when she's standing, what's with the elbow extension, moving her hand gesture,, making a point movement?

Just hold your ipad, folder or newspaper!

YouStayClassySanDiego Fri 14-Feb-14 18:51:58

I don't know Catriona.

I really like Nagagh [sp] weekend breakfast.

shallweshop Fri 14-Feb-14 18:54:03

YANBU - she is vair annoying. Does anyone actually speak like that IRL? I imagine her in the pub talking with her mates l

drnoitall Fri 14-Feb-14 18:54:13

Oh I rather like her.
Fiona Phillips on the other hand, a very annoying person indeed. I press the mute everytime she appears on the bloody postcode lottery. :-0

YouStayClassySanDiego Fri 14-Feb-14 18:56:31

Does she headbob on Antiques Roadshow?

shallweshop Fri 14-Feb-14 18:57:03

Damn phone ... Talking with her mates like that.

longingforsomesleep Fri 14-Feb-14 18:58:30

YANBU!!

I can't stand that overly-smiley/bubbly weather woman on BBC breakfast either. In fact I can't stand most weather people - they behave as if they're auditioning for the RSC instead of telling us it's going to rain again. Bring back Michael Fish.

ListenToTheLady Fri 14-Feb-14 18:58:31

I think Catriona Shearer might be a Scotland-only thing.

Here she is in a classic outfit. DP would rate this highly!

Morgause Fri 14-Feb-14 19:03:35

I like Fiona. Kay Burley, however, is just awful.

mrspremise Fri 14-Feb-14 19:06:41

TBH, I rather like her and her possessed eyebrow

TomaszSchafernaker Fri 14-Feb-14 19:21:33

I'll have nothing said against BBC weather presenters grin

MrsBartlet Fri 14-Feb-14 19:26:08

Her eyebrows drive me mad! I think she sounds like she should be presenting something on Cbeebies.

MorvahRising Fri 14-Feb-14 19:28:44

I'm sure she's lovely in real life and all that, but I have to say I agree with you OP. It's not the mannerisms though, it's her incredibly sloppy speech. Her speech sounds slurred, she doesn't pronounce consonants so her words run into each other, she leaves 't's off the ends of words all the time, and she breathes in the wrong places. It's an effort to listen to her. I say bring back Angela Rippon and Moira Stuart.

YouStayClassySanDiego Fri 14-Feb-14 19:36:15

I love Moira on r2 on the breakfast show but her giggly flirting and 'what, me?' persona chat with Chris has put me off her somewhat.

Her voice is fabulous.

CorusKate Fri 14-Feb-14 19:38:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eliza22 Fri 14-Feb-14 19:40:26

I agree. I think she personalises the news cast. We aren't interested in what she thinks which she displays to the viewer with her brow arching/wrist flexing/voice intonation thing. Just give us the facts, Fi.

MamaMary Fri 14-Feb-14 19:43:09

There is something about Fiona Bruce that is irritating - I've always thought it. Perhaps you're all right - it's the fact she draws too much attention to herself when she should be much more neutral in her presentation. I've always thought she rather fancied herself TBH.

She's not too bad on Fake or Fortune though.

CorusKate Fri 14-Feb-14 19:44:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shouldnthavesaid Fri 14-Feb-14 19:47:23

Moira Stuart used to frighten me. I associated her with dinner time (which as a child I hated) and bad news. She always looked gravely serious and I think I felt she was always saying something terrible that I didn't understand. I had similar feelings towards Nicholas Owen and John Suchet. I still shudder if I hear the news theme starting.

Nowadays I am not frightened of the news but I do have an extra special dislike of Jackie Bird. I wish they'd put her in a secure room and only let her free for Hogmanay and Children in Need (because I feel I'd miss her if she didn't do them, as much as I am irritated by her)

Armi Fri 14-Feb-14 19:54:51

Fiona Bruce does this weird preying mantis thing with her arms when seated at the desk. I really want to like her, but the incredulous tone is very irritating.

I love weather folk, however. Except for the chap on my local news who dresses like a croupier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now