Talk

Advanced search

To be surprised at the lack of food?

(112 Posts)
NightCircus Fri 14-Feb-14 17:09:17

Friend held a 50th birthday party at a social club type place.
It was from 7-12.
Band and disco.
Came with gift and bought own drinks.

Beforehand we had wondered if it would be a sausage roll/ sandwich buffet or maybe a vat of chilli or curry.
But there was no food at all! A number of guests were in their 70s.

AIBU to be surprised and think there should really have been something to eat?

trashcanjunkie Fri 14-Feb-14 17:12:38

YABU and a bit odd hmm

crypes Fri 14-Feb-14 17:13:22

Depressing really.

Elderberri Fri 14-Feb-14 17:13:52

YANBU WTF. I would not stir out of doors for a party that had NO food.

Joysmum Fri 14-Feb-14 17:14:08

??? It may be common but that doesn't mean it has to be so. What a strange thing to think confused

NightCircus Fri 14-Feb-14 17:14:09

Why odd? What an odd response!

Katiepoes Fri 14-Feb-14 17:14:23

Some snacks at least would be normal - in Ireland you'd for sure have some food at such a party. YANBU.

SergeantJarhead Fri 14-Feb-14 17:17:43

YANBU. Very odd in my part of Wales. You must have all been utterly legless!!!

NightCircus Fri 14-Feb-14 17:17:47

That's what I thought.
If it had been from 8.30 most people would have eaten before. I think the 7 o'clock start makes me assume there would be something to eat.
Even just some sandwich platters and crisps would have been nice.

irregularegular Fri 14-Feb-14 17:18:32

I don't think you're unreasonable! I'd be taken by surprise if an event started at 7pm and didn't serve any food. What grown up eats dinner before 7pm? I'd have probably gently enquired whether I should eat before, but I'd have been surprised to be told there was no food at all.

On the other hand an 8pm start could go either way.

Merrylegs Fri 14-Feb-14 17:19:49

www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/happy-50th-michelle-obama-i-hope-your-rules-for-party-etiquette-cross-the-atlantic-soon-9062342.html

She was probably doing a Michelle Obama: 'EBYC'

JRmumma Fri 14-Feb-14 17:20:53

Were there any nibbles?

I'm with you in that id have been surprised to find there wasn't any food, but I wouldn't be particularly put out by it as i would have eaten first.

I get annoyed by people who turn up at do's and tuck right in to the buffet because they haven't had dinner. You should never go expecting a meal.

glasgowsteven Fri 14-Feb-14 17:21:52

eating at 5 pm for dinner and 8 again...no need

YABU

GoldenGytha Fri 14-Feb-14 17:27:04

I'd be surprised at a party that had no food at all provided, even one starting at 8pm,

I don't mean a fancy meal, but just the usual sandwiches/pork pies/crisps sort of nibbles.

irregular I eat my tea (never dinner) long before 7pm! I think 7pm is very late to be eating.

shewhowines Fri 14-Feb-14 17:29:07

I think they should have specified on the invite that there would be no food. Most people would assume that there would be something.

LingDiLong Fri 14-Feb-14 17:29:38

Yes, I'd be surprised too! Food at a party is fairly standard, especially at that time. I must have missed the law that passed stating that we were all supposed to eat at 5pm!

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 14-Feb-14 17:31:16

That sounds really shit and miserable. Yanbu.

Thurlow Fri 14-Feb-14 17:34:26

YANBU. Doesn't need to be anything exciting at all but for a 5 hour party I'd expect something to be available, even if it was just packets of crisps.

sugar4eva Fri 14-Feb-14 17:34:49

Well I had a party that starred at 8 30 and did t provide food . This was because I could not Fford it as xj was expensive and room hire but I wanted my pals to have a chance to let hair down no elderly rels tho . I put old fashioned sweets in bowls tho next to fairy lights !

ShatzePage Fri 14-Feb-14 17:34:58

Tight wads.

MrsLettuce Fri 14-Feb-14 17:35:21

Yy, Yanbu.

I'd not have expected a meal unless it was explicitly stated on the invite, but it'd never occur to me that there might be a party (at any time of day) without some sort of nibbles available.

Viviennemary Fri 14-Feb-14 17:36:47

That sounds totally dire and mean. I think if people can't afford to have a party then they should just not have one. I think people expect a bit of food.

WorraLiberty Fri 14-Feb-14 17:37:05

But there was no food at all! A number of guests were in their 70s

What the buggery does that have to do with anything? grin

It did make me laugh though blush

ScentedScandal Fri 14-Feb-14 17:37:44

Yadnbu. I would have thought the same. And you took your own drinks! I would def have provided some food.

(Cant see why it's an odd thing to notice, at all)

Oblomov Fri 14-Feb-14 17:39:43

YANBU
Would be considered very odd round here.
People drinking and dancing and then no food?
There has been, in the last 4 parties I have been to recently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now