Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to get up with friends posting about how wonderful their DP is

(14 Posts)
CouldDoWithABrew Fri 14-Feb-14 13:49:31

At the risk of coming across as a jealous b***h (and I'm not - but people will say it anyway) my friend bugs me.

Pretty much every status she posts on FB is about how wonderful her DP is, he's so amazing, he's so sexy blah blah blah. She even goes as far as to details bits of the sex life on her FB statuses. Her beloved doesn't go on FB all that often so probably never sees these comments (though I don't think he'd mind if he did). I just find it all a little bit cringeworthy and embarrassing, then I find myself thinking nobody cares (OK, I have definitely just entered b***h territory). We get that you're 'loved up' but please, no one needs to know details!!! Constantly!!!!

She is a good friend to me on the whole so it's not like I'd want to 'hide' her on my newsfeed or anything. It's just nauseating everytime I log on to FB and see she's posted a comment about her other half, which is every friggin day!!!

It wouldn't actually bother me that much but she tells me nearly every time I see her (which is very regularly) that she's not actually too happy with him and has even threatened to leave him recently. So why does she post these continuous updates about how fit, sexy, fantastic he is.

As I say I'm not a jealous person, I think the world of my fella but don't feel the need to knock everyone sick with it. Some things are best left private. Is it just me?

Topaz25 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:51:38

If she's not happy with him the updates are probably because of insecurity and a need to pretend to others that she is happy. She is going OTT and I can see why you would find it annoying. You can hide her updates while still remaining friends with her.

CouldDoWithABrew Fri 14-Feb-14 13:57:03

My thread titles all wrong, I think I got distracted midway thru typing hehe.

I have often wondered if it's a deep-seated insecurity on her behalf i.e. she 'protests too much'. Almost like she has a point to prove. AIBU to think this way. I feel like a horrible cow now for even typing this but it's almost sickening. Most of my friends on FB have other halves and don't feel the need to constantly blow sunshine out their partner's arse.

If I wasn't happy in my relationship I wouldn't be over-compensating and acting like I was. Wow I had to get this off my chest.

MsLT Fri 14-Feb-14 14:03:19

Ask her if she's a good friend. Next time she complains about her DP to you ask her why she makes out everything is great on FB. I feel sorry for her as she is probably overcompensating if things are not good really.

Trooperslane Fri 14-Feb-14 14:07:03

Welcome to the real world of Facebook.

Everyone's life is perfect on there - didn't you know? wink

CouldDoWithABrew Fri 14-Feb-14 14:09:45

I don't know anyone who takes it to her level tho. BS in the extreme. Her fella isn't even that bad of a guy, he's actually pretty damn decent yet she's never happy with him.

She even said to me the other night 'all I ever seem to do is burden you with my relationship problems' of which I don't mind that she does talk to me, at least she has an outlet. I just find my toes curling at her updates. I'm gonna bow my head in shame now for being mean...

Dahlen Fri 14-Feb-14 14:10:01

IME people who are genuinely happy with their relationship only tend to go on about it when either in the first throes or after a particularly lovely gesture. The rest of the time they will only say how wonderful their DP is when asked or if it comes up naturally in the conversation.

Those who go on at length, unsolicited, about their great DPs tend to be the ones who are trying to convince themselves as much as anyone else.

FWIW, that would have been me shortly before the breakup of my last relationship.

Pigletin Fri 14-Feb-14 14:19:59

I can see how this will be irritating. It seems she is trying to convince herself her partner is amazing by putting all this on FB. If this bugs you so much, just hide her from your newsfeed (no need to de-friend her).

Kasterborous Fri 14-Feb-14 14:34:45

I'm with you OP, my news feed is full of these today. I would never post anything like that. DH isn't even on Facebook, even if he was I wouldn't post it.

CouldDoWithABrew Fri 14-Feb-14 14:43:49

Haha Kaster I genuinely don't mind people going a bit V-Day nuts, it happens and is to be expected. And like I've just commented on someone elses thread no-one should begrudge someone elses happiness. I wish it was just the one day tho

SlightlyTerrified Fri 14-Feb-14 14:47:54

There was actually a post being shared on FB the other day say 'you know if someone is happy in their relationship as you don't hear about it on facebook!'

So true!

sugar4eva Fri 14-Feb-14 15:36:39

I really don't understand f. B ! My friend was posting what a fab to e she was havi nh whilst she had just seen me and the woman on f b and the rl woman seemed two different people. You don't have to post on f b . Surely it makes folk feel worse if they post about a life when'd I g another one. Friends should be real and sad and happy and all I between is real .

Misspixietrix Fri 14-Feb-14 15:55:29

YNBU. Most that do that are trying to convince themselves more than others. I don't mean the odd ones. I mean the ones that relentlessly tag their dear OH in every single status they upload. Fear enough if working away etc but not when they are sat in the sameroom. Just hide from newsfeed.

CouldDoWithABrew Fri 14-Feb-14 16:12:20

I'd have to lie if I hid her from news feed cos when I do see her she normally asks 'did you see my FB comment about such and such...' so she'll know I frequent FB often and if I keep saying no, I'm sure she'd get suspiscious. And yup she tags her DP to the nth degree about every and anything....which I find pointless cos he never goes on it and he never works away either. They're both not very outgoing people so they stay in every night together so it's not like they don't see each other

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now