Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why the new Scottish widow is SO young?!

(23 Posts)
Callani Fri 14-Feb-14 13:14:50

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-25859003

Now I'm aware that it is (tragically) possible for someone to be a widow at the age of 24 but really?

Honestly, would it be so hard to have someone over the age of 40 as a Scottish widow? It kinda reminds me of those Fix-a-dent adverts where there's a 70 year old man with a 35 year old wife!

[Disclaimer: As an unmarried 26 year old, I am clearly just bitter that she got married at 21 or whatever]

MrsWolowitz Fri 14-Feb-14 13:38:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whatdoiknowanyway Fri 14-Feb-14 13:50:46

I'm wondering if at 26 you may be getting to the stage of 'don't policemen look young nowadays?'.
The Scottish Widow used in the ads has been a young beautiful woman for as long as I can remember.

Callani Fri 14-Feb-14 14:06:23

Oh no, I really am! I just looked up how old the other widows were and they were 22, 23 and 22 when they started so this is actually the oldest one of the lot!

God, I'm sure I remembered them being way older!? Standing fully corrected (and now having a slight crisis that I'm "old" at 26...)

Grennie Fri 14-Feb-14 14:14:23

grin

glammanana Fri 14-Feb-14 14:14:51

There have been 3 previous models for SW adverts I think the most famous face was Amanda Lamb who went on to do A Place in the Sun & a Property Programme the name of which I can't recall.
I do unfortunatley know of 3/4 widows well under the age of 30 whose husbands where friends with my DS2 so in this day and age it is not impossible to have knowledge of such young women.

Ledaire Fri 14-Feb-14 14:15:54

When I was a young teen I thought that was what forty-ish looked like if you were beautiful. I was wrong grin

Grennie Fri 14-Feb-14 14:18:15

I do think actually that the models are too young. But that has always been the case. And I too remember thinking the model was older than she was. Those days have long gone now.

Shosha1 Fri 14-Feb-14 14:22:24

Wasn't the first one Roger Moores Daughter?

Pigeonhouse Fri 14-Feb-14 14:26:39

I think they're up against the problem that the brand is obviously long-established and associated with a lot of recognition and goodwill, so they need a 'widow' on the ad, but don't want to suggest anything involving grief, recent bereavement, loss. So you end with a glamorous young woman who looks like she just picked a hooded cloak out of the dressing-up box...

Ledaire Fri 14-Feb-14 14:34:46

I used to think that one of them looked a bit smug - as if she'd bumped off an elderly H and was preparing an exciting life with her new lover with the insurance money.

She was probably just meant to look mysterious and I had been reading too many trashy novels confused

squoosh Fri 14-Feb-14 14:35:36

The Scottish Widow has always been a foxy young woman, who it has to be said, has never looked too heartbroken over her widowed state.

glammanana Fri 14-Feb-14 14:54:37

Shosha yes you are right it was Deborah Moore,I just couldn't think who it was first time around.

Callani Fri 14-Feb-14 15:14:16

Haha Ledaire! grin

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 14-Feb-14 15:24:44

I remember the fuss when Amanda Lamb was replaced by someone 10 years younger!

FoxesRevenge Fri 14-Feb-14 15:27:17

You know you're getting old when everyone appears younger.

When I visited my dentist for the first time I worried that he was properly qualified, he looked far too young. I didn't even give it a second thought that it was me who is OLD!

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 14-Feb-14 15:31:29

What Ledaire said... I know exactly which one you mean. Her expression almost suggests a measure of triumph.

I suppose young women are used to illustrate that these things can happen at any age and one should be prepared just in case. I don't know but that black cape isn't very flattering in my opinion, I'd have a scarlet velvet one. grin

Ledaire Fri 14-Feb-14 15:50:07

"Triumph" - yes!

So glad it wasn't just me.

DoJo Fri 14-Feb-14 18:52:06

I would have thought that a reminder that one can be widowed even if young and gorgeous would be sensible. People who assume that life insurance etc is for older people and those in poor health are unfortunately not exempt from suffering an unexpected accident or life limiting illness.

TamerB Fri 14-Feb-14 18:55:38

It is good to draw attention that lots of women are widowed young-it isn't something that you are immune from until you are over a certain age!

Groovee Fri 14-Feb-14 18:58:31

Not all widows are women who were married 30+ years. I sadly know a few women widowed in their 30's and a couple in their twenties.

hiddenhome Fri 14-Feb-14 18:59:18

I was widowed at age 26, so it can happen. I wasn't glamorous though.

GinOnTwoWheels Fri 14-Feb-14 19:20:27

Unfortunately there will be quite a few widows in their early 20s where their DH has been killed in Afghanistan or similar sad, which is quite fitting with the company's beginnings in the Napoleonic wars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now