Talk

Advanced search

Gay gene testing

(143 Posts)
heatseeker Fri 14-Feb-14 10:58:13

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2559021/Being-gay-DNA-researchers-claim-controversial-new-study.html

I don't know why they are wasting time or money researching this no good can come from it. I think it is a backward step in thinking and terminating a baby on the grounds of its apparent sexuality is a nasty concept.

JunoMacGuff Fri 14-Feb-14 10:59:29

I refuse to click a DM link.

Can you summarise? This sounds insane, who is suggesting this is possible?

YouTheCat Fri 14-Feb-14 11:00:08

It is the Daily Mail.

If someone has such a problem with having a gay child (though I am hugely sceptical about a 'gay' gene anyway), then maybe they just shouldn't take the chance and shouldn't have kids at all, just in case wink .

heatseeker Fri 14-Feb-14 11:02:56

Wackos from America Juno. I don't think from the sound of it they will be able to identify a single gene as apparently a few are involved, just don't see the point of looking in the first place.

JunoMacGuff Fri 14-Feb-14 11:10:18

What a disgusting thought process, let alone the aftermath that they are thinking of using it for terminations.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 14-Feb-14 11:13:53

whilst I don't condone termination of pregnancies on the basis that a baby is going to be gay, and please don't take this post as anti-gay in any way, surely there MUST be a gay gene, just as there is a tall gene, or a gene for a sense of humour - what else would make you gay?

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 14-Feb-14 11:15:47

shock

Perhaps people should just concentrate on loving their beautiful children rather trying to determine if they are gay or not.

That line about giving parents all the information for their choices.... sad

MaidOfStars Fri 14-Feb-14 11:16:24

Is there a gay gene? Unlikely. Do genetics play a role? Probably. Is it more likely to be developmental? I think so.

I am a researcher in medical genetics. I spend my time trying to identify genes that cause serious congenital defects. The joy of pinpointing the exact gene is unparalleled. But for homosexuality, I shy away from the need to define it genetically. I think it provides a bit of a cop out (although I recognise that some gay people may feel differently). Why do we need to have a biological basis, if not to be used to "excuse"? What's wrong with plain old choice?

Proudmummytodc2 Fri 14-Feb-14 11:19:44

I thought being gay was something to do with the chromosomes(sp? Sorry) but I could be totally wrong

Anyway this is totally stupid wtf does it matter if they are gay, straight, bi ect that does not define them as a person as long as they are happy and healthy what harm is it doing to anyone else

This has annoyed me actually what a stupid "story"

Proudmummytodc2 Fri 14-Feb-14 11:20:53

Sorry I meant article not story.. I was talking to ds about a story and wrote that lol .. So embarrassing

MomentForLife Fri 14-Feb-14 11:21:19

I don't want to click on the link so don't know what's in it but, aren't a lot of people who are anti gay the people who don't accept that people are born gay?

JunoMacGuff Fri 14-Feb-14 11:22:14

Middleagedmother

So I presume you think there are genes for paedophilia, and asexuality?

Should we test for a paedophile gene? That seems like an actual worthy cause. I'd vote to terminate those pregnancies.

Proudmummytodc2 Fri 14-Feb-14 11:25:36

Moment are you talking about those who say people choose to be gay?

MaidOfStars Fri 14-Feb-14 11:27:13

surely there MUST be a gay gene, just as there is a tall gene, or a gene for a sense of humour - what else would make you gay?

Brains are very plastic things, and can be modelled and remodelled based on interaction with environment. This is what we mean by a "developmental" role in homosexuality. Perhaps it's the particular combo of hormones you are exposed to in the womb, perhaps it can be evoked in a family of particular genders/birth orders, I don't know (and I'm not saying those are definite factors).

2tiredtocare Fri 14-Feb-14 11:30:16

I don't know anything about whether it's genetic or not but agree with Youthecat just don't have any children lest they turn out a 'disappointment'

MomentForLife Fri 14-Feb-14 11:34:33

I don't know really. I just know I've met a few homophobic people who have said gay people should stop being gay and I've said well actually they're born gay.

I wouldn't have thought those kind of people would accept there's a gay gene because they think gay people can control it

KiwiBanana Fri 14-Feb-14 11:36:04

Well it would be interesting to see where our sexuality starts, if being straight or gay is a gene or something we subconsciously decide.

It looks like a dangerous path to go down though. Personally I could give a monkeys if someone is gay or straight, even my own child, but we do know there are still a lot of people out there that do have prejudice against gay people. It would be tragic that they could choose to abort a baby because of it's sexual preference sad

I'm on the fence with this one, can't decide between the scientific interest and moral side of it.

MomentForLife Fri 14-Feb-14 11:36:33

Sorry proudmummy, I could have just said yes.lol. I'm not with it today.

DanceParty Fri 14-Feb-14 11:40:40

I refuse to click a DM link.

Oh MY GOD - it's the DM - I won't clink a link to the DM - WHY??

JunoMacGuff Fri 14-Feb-14 11:45:40

DanceParty Because I am morally opposed to the DM, and every click essentially earns them money via sponsors and advertisers.

FRambridge Fri 14-Feb-14 11:47:12

DanceParty .... because it's the Daily Fail!!!

I often think (and I'm gonna get flamed for this) that people wear this paper where their hearts should be! It's so extreme about everything! It doesn't print the news it prints vile hatred

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 14-Feb-14 11:53:02

Juno - I hadn't thought about that, but I think those are different.

Is being gay a choice? I don't think so, because historically, people were afraid to come out, and hid their sexuality by enduring unhappy marriages etc. That would suggest to me that they were actually trying to chose NOT to be homosexual - that being gay was something within them they were trying to suppress.

Thank God, that rarely happens any longer.

DanceParty Fri 14-Feb-14 12:00:57

FRambridge - It doesn't print the news it prints vile hatred

None so far today grin. Will look out for the 'vile hatred' tomorrow.

FRambridge Fri 14-Feb-14 12:05:52

You do that Dance I'm sure it wont be long before you stumble across an article where it's only purpose is to stir up militant right-wing views and is not even fit for wiping my arse on!

Agree with you Juno

FRambridge Fri 14-Feb-14 12:06:30

And the flaming commences.... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now