Talk

Advanced search

To take toddler back to GP

(25 Posts)
Toddlerfuntimes Fri 14-Feb-14 09:14:10

My 20 month old has been unwell since Tuesday he was sent home from nursery with a temp of 39.7. Took him to doctors on wed saw nurse practitioner who said no infection probably teething. She said doctors don't think teething causes such a high temp but she does!! Since then the lowest his temp has been is 38.0 but is still going up to 39.9 regularly. I am alternating calpol and nurofen. He is is not sleeping and sounds chesty. He just wants to sit on sofa and watch TV which is definitely not normal for him. He is drinking but not eating. I have made an appointment with a dr this morning would everyone else do the same.

yangsun Fri 14-Feb-14 09:16:48

Yes definitely! I'm sure you are advised to seek medical advice for a persistent high temp and teething is not normally something that makes them totally miserable with no let up

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 14-Feb-14 09:17:28

Given the temp has gone on for three days and the calpol box stated not to give for more than three days before seeking medical advice I'd be taking him back too.

Rather gp today than pissing about with the OOH stuff.

Musicaltheatremum Fri 14-Feb-14 09:19:17

I would want to see them after that length of history. So YANBU. I do not believe teething causes temperatures. There is no physiological reason for it to do so. I think for a nurse to make claims like that is very wrong. Hope he gets better soon.

Toddlerfuntimes Fri 14-Feb-14 09:19:51

Thanks lack of sleep thought I was being unreasonable but yes he does need to be checked again.

MorganLeFey Fri 14-Feb-14 10:48:14

YANBU - go back.

I would decline to see a Nurse Practitioner with an unwell child...

TheNumberfaker Fri 14-Feb-14 10:49:55

3 days of a temp means you go see the doctor!

Triliteral Fri 14-Feb-14 10:51:54

Better safe than sorry. Hope he's better soon.

TheRealAmandaClarke Fri 14-Feb-14 10:54:02

Teething doesn't cause a fever like that. The nurse is misinformed.
It's probably a viral respiratory tract infection but I would have the GP listen to his chest and check his ears/ tonsils.
YANBU. Go back today.

TheRealAmandaClarke Fri 14-Feb-14 10:54:50

Good luck btw.

DinoSnores Fri 14-Feb-14 10:55:53

I would go back, especially as you have only been seen by a Nurse Practitioner. They have remarkably little training in diagnosis and treatment, especially of little children. Like morganlefey, there is no way I would see one with an unwell child.

Sick children are difficult. They aren't just mini-adults.

Hope the doctor is able to help or reassure you and that DS gets well soon.

Misspixietrix Fri 14-Feb-14 13:58:29

YNBU. Definitely take him back! Let us know how you get on.

brettgirl2 Fri 14-Feb-14 14:00:35

All this 'its teething' stuff is a load of nonsense imo.

drivenfromdistraction Fri 14-Feb-14 14:06:08

definitely go back. that is a long time for a high temperature. I have had two bad teethers (lots of pain) and neither of them had sustained high temperatures with it. One had regular high temperatures which turned out to be strep throat and needed heavy-duty penicillin.

ksrwr Fri 14-Feb-14 14:11:23

absolutely definitely yes

LEtranger Fri 14-Feb-14 14:22:58

Definitely take him back! Last time one of mine had a sustained temp over several days in spite of calpol and ibuprofen it turned out he had pneumonia!

crazykat Fri 14-Feb-14 14:46:24

I'd definitely do the same. My ds1 was about 18 months and had a very high temp which wouldn't come down, was quite sleepy but not crying or coughing and no cold. Took him to ooh and got sent to a&e where he was monitored until finally his temp came down and told it must be a virus as chest/ears/throat clear.

Two days later his temp was still up so I took him to the GP and he had a chest infection which needed antibiotics but he still barely had a cough.

Hope your ds is on the mend soon.

MigGril Fri 14-Feb-14 14:47:14

I'm surprised you just sour the nurse, our GP practices say all under 2's need to see a GP.

And teething doesn't cause such a high temp. so defiantly not unreasonable to take him back.

Misspixietrix Fri 14-Feb-14 19:22:38

OP how did you get on? Did you manage to get Ds back in?

Hissy Fri 14-Feb-14 19:49:47

Sounds like a virus for sure. My 8yo just had a feverish few days.

Hope you got seen today, i'd have gone and sat in the waiting room until a space was free tbh.

Hope your little one's on the mend!

littleolewinedrinkerme Sat 15-Feb-14 08:50:02

My toddler had the same symptoms and our nurse practitioner did a really thorough check - ears, chest etc. The very last check was throat - tonsillitis and gave us the antibiotics straight away. I think that was poor service by your np. Hope you got sorted with the doctor.

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Sat 15-Feb-14 09:44:55

Yes, you have to be careful with nurses, ours casually told us a temp shooting up from 37 to 39.9 in minuets, was normal...in a 9 month old baby ( and in a heat wave). She was very casual and made me feel alarmist.

I rang back and asked to speak to doctor they got me in straight away and said she had a secondary infection and got anti B's.

It could be ear infection...all sorts....

you need a proper check over. In older children whilst still concerning, I wouldnt say temps worry me too much, however in small children I would always get on going temps checked out.

laughingeyes2013 Sat 15-Feb-14 10:01:49

I would definitely go back.

We saw a nurse practitioner on Sunday evening with our 7 month old baby because I was worried about his wheezy cough.

She said he hasn't got a wheeze or a cough!

We saw the gp first thing Monday morning and had croup diagnosed and a 5 day course of steroids prescribed.

Being of the nursing profession you'd expect me to be pro-nurse practitioners, but I know how that getting a good experiences nurse to the level needed like that is a bit hit and miss, so I would refuse to see one next time.

laughingeyes2013 Sat 15-Feb-14 10:05:20

Always see a doc.

We had to see a nurse practitioner when 7 month old baby had a wheezy cough.

She couldn't detect a wheeze and said there is no cough!

The next morning we went to GP who diagnosed croup and prescribed a 5 day course of steroids.

I will never see a nurse for this sort of thing again. They are not trained doctors.

laughingeyes2013 Sat 15-Feb-14 10:06:19

Oh sorry, didn't mean to post twice! My phone showed my message hadn't sent, so I typed it out again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now