Talk

Advanced search

to buy DS another toy

(10 Posts)
deliverdaniel Fri 14-Feb-14 03:06:25

I know I was U but I jsut felt so bad for him and handled it badly. Question is, how badly. Will he be ruined forever?

DS 3 yrs is very very anxious about going to the doctor after he had some health issues and had a nasty procedure done about a year ago. He had to go today and have another unpleasant thing done so I told him we would go after and choose a new Thomas train at the toyshop. When we got to the toyshop, DS2 was crying, and I was in a rush so I pushed him into choosing quickly. He chose a train, got to the checkout, paid then opened the package, whereupon he burst into floods of tears. It was the wrong train, and not the one he meant to choose. I know I should probably have held firm and said he had to stick with it now it was not returnable , but I remember that feeling from childhood and I caved and bought him another one. Have I ruined him?

deliverdaniel Fri 14-Feb-14 03:06:52

I know this is a total first world problem. sorry. Just on my mind.

Trumpton Fri 14-Feb-14 03:32:22

It was a lovely thing to do. He was rushed and disappointed and you made a small brave boy happy . How could that be wrong ?
Now go to sleep grin

deliverdaniel Fri 14-Feb-14 03:34:48

aw Trumpton, that's the nicest message ever :-) thanks so much.

SavoyCabbage Fri 14-Feb-14 03:38:39

I don't think it was wrong as you say you hurried him so he probably panic bought. We've all done that before! He's not going to be ruined forever.

Cookiepants Fri 14-Feb-14 04:18:57

I remember that feeling! Your boy has had to be very brave, he was flustered and made a mistake. What a lovely mummy for making it right again. You haven't created a monster smile. Hope you are sleeping now, and that I will be sleeping soon.

deliverdaniel Fri 14-Feb-14 04:22:39

thanks so much everyone. You've made me feel so much better. I love mumsnet.

MrsMook Fri 14-Feb-14 05:12:56

He's not ruined.

A bit different but at 2, when I was pg, DS had frequent impulse purchases from the supermarket as it was the only way I could get him round the shop some days as my SPD gave me no alternative to him walkung free range, and a tantrum would leave us stranded for ages until he was ready to walk. Everything is fine now and we don't have the impulse purchases.

you offered him a reward and he now has it

SparklyTwinkleGlitter Fri 14-Feb-14 05:40:51

Sorry, but I don't think you have really helped reduce his anxiety about visiting the doctor.

I'm not saying you've done anything wrong in regards to buying the toys but I would be wary of accidentally reinforcing the idea that visiting the GP is something awful to be endured in return for a material reward rather than just a normal part of life. Perhaps try sweets or stickers in the future?

My adult DSS has suffered very serious anxiety (bordering on phobic) with medics (doctor/dentist/optician). Luckily his partner is a doctor and he's recently had to work inside a hospital (office based) so both these things have helped him enormously.

Sharaluck Fri 14-Feb-14 08:15:34

Yanbu

I would have done the same. It was a treat that meant a lot to him and it needed to be right.

I remember that feeling from childhood too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now