Talk

Advanced search

To be tearful about ...

(22 Posts)
Chippednailvarnish Fri 14-Feb-14 01:48:00

I've been invited to a school reunion and given I went to a medium size high school I have been shocked by how many people have died since we left.
Given we are under 40, there have been 2 deaths of people in my year, 4 teachers (not yet at retirement age) and at least 10 parents who have passed away.
Maybe I have been lucky to have only known older people who have died? But I'm surprised by how sad it's made me...

yolothankgod Fri 14-Feb-14 01:56:59

That's pretty good figures tbh though I do see where you are coming from

I'm mid 20s & went to a small school & at least 16 people from my year have died & I'm doubting many of my teachers are alive as they were all late 50s when teaching me

brew

Chippednailvarnish Fri 14-Feb-14 01:58:32

Blimey, makes me wonder how the average life expectancy is 80+

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 14-Feb-14 02:02:35

Both of my sons went to at least 2-3 funerals of contemporaries while still at school. One 17 yo (not known to us) suicided at the road end, and damn near killed a pregnant neighbour. But we're rural, dc get driving licences asap, teens do daft things in cars. May/June is killing season round here. Hate it every year.

Chippednailvarnish Fri 14-Feb-14 14:29:38

That's tragic old, there fortunately haven't been any suicides, I'm just struck by how many people have gone, given their young ages.

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Fri 14-Feb-14 14:33:10

It is sad.

Two teachers have died from 2 of my schools and they died more than 15 years ago so not that old. One from cancer.

I haven't heard that any of my friends have died but 2 have divorced. I was really happy to see a friend who married very young as was expecting is still with her husband. Another friend is a granddad! That was a shock.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 14-Feb-14 14:35:29

There are at least 4 dead in my year. Too many parents dead to count.

Early 40's.

Chippednailvarnish Fri 14-Feb-14 14:38:20

I've clearly been very lucky in my life. I would strangely find it easier if it had been accidents, but one poor guy went to bed one night and simply didn't wake up again sad

IPokedABadgerWithASpoon Fri 14-Feb-14 14:40:59

Im in my mid 20s and there have been 2 deaths, one severe accident and quite a few who have lost parents from my year group...

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Fri 14-Feb-14 14:44:12

That is sad, Chipped sad.

Just remembered my oldest friend has lost her mother.

My in-laws are the oldest generation in our family now, apart from a Great Aunt of my DH's, and it is sobering.

Chippednailvarnish Fri 14-Feb-14 15:55:48

I just can't see how we're meant to on average live into our 80's? That's probably why I'm so surprised.

manchestermummy Fri 14-Feb-14 16:38:25

Mid 30s, none of my classmates (from my year) have died as far as I know, but sadly many have lost parents.

A number of friends are divorced too.

FrankelInFoal Fri 14-Feb-14 16:44:22

I'm 32, I know of at least 3 former classmates that have died since we left school (1 cancer, 1 drug related and 1 car accident) and another 5 who have been in prison, mainly for drug related offences. I went to school in a classy area me blush

GoldenGytha Fri 14-Feb-14 16:44:33

Mid 40's, and although I don't know the exact number of deaths, I know there have been quite a few, suicides, Iraq war in 1991 and illnesses.

Very few parents still living, but a surprisingly high number of teachers still around, considering that most were in their 50's and I left school 30 years ago.

AcaciaBeez Fri 14-Feb-14 16:59:40

I left school 4 years ago and 2 people from my year have died (including my best friend) - I don't know of any teachers that have died though

Chippednailvarnish Fri 14-Feb-14 20:03:07

Interestingly all the surviving female teachers who were "Mrs So and so" are now "Mrs remarried"... Not sure how many of my year are divorced.

PotteringAlong Fri 14-Feb-14 20:06:23

I'm 34 and 3 of my year are dead - 1 murdered, 1 car crash and 1 on the operating table during a routine procedure sad

3littlefrogs Fri 14-Feb-14 20:14:34

I remember being shocked when my mum told me that every single boy in her class at her primary school was killed in the war. sad

Ellypoo Fri 14-Feb-14 20:24:40

Not sure about teachers, but by the time I was 20, I had been to the funerals of 6 school friends. Not a huge school, smallish town.

AngryFeet Fri 14-Feb-14 20:37:20

Only 1 person in my class has died (I am 35). That was from breast cancer in her mid twenties. I have known 4 other people who died young - 2 suicides, one killed by a drunk driver and one murdered on holiday (all boys). Very sad but considering how many people I have ever met in my lifetime not that unusual I guess. Not that many parents seem to have died yet but most will be early sixties so fairly young for many to have popped their clogs.

sparklyma Fri 14-Feb-14 20:56:17

1 teacher and 1 guy dead from when I was at school. Cancer and car crash.

SoldAtAuction Sat 15-Feb-14 04:42:36

14 died while I was in high school- suicides, car accidents, drownings, snowmobile accidents, skiing accident, boating accident, cancer, meningitis, hit by lightening, drug overdose, and hunting accident.
Since then, 8 that I know of have passed, plus 6 teachers.
More parents than I can count, it breaks my heart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now