Talk

Advanced search

WTAF? Am I growing mold or something?

(17 Posts)
SolidGoldBrass Thu 13-Feb-14 22:11:45

I do leaflet distribution so am always out pounding pavements no matter how lousy the weather. I keep getting soaked through, paticularly around the knees (that gap between coat and welly). ANd now the insides of my knees are swolling, itchy, tender and starting to bleed. DOes anyone else get this? What do you do to make it bettter?

trashcanjunkie Thu 13-Feb-14 22:13:10

sounds like contact dermatitis maybe. Get to the quacks! Betnovate I believe.... sad

Preciousbane Thu 13-Feb-14 22:15:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CMOTDibbler Thu 13-Feb-14 22:16:24

It could be chilblains from being cold and wet a lot. Treatment is keep dry and warm.

Maybe some waterproof trousers?

FiveOwls Thu 13-Feb-14 22:19:58

Are you wearing jeans? Terrible when wet, chafe like hell and can easily get infected if you aren't careful. In fact, any wet item can chafe round there when your knees are constantly bending to walk. That'll definitely be your problem.

footballagain Thu 13-Feb-14 22:24:05

Waterproof trousers!!

ForgettableTampon Thu 13-Feb-14 22:26:40

yes I would say you need to see your GP, you might have infected contact derma

Cotton rich leggings dry fast and don't chafe half so much as denim

Fleecelined trews might be another option this is what I am thinking of

WitchWay Thu 13-Feb-14 22:26:53

Could be chilblains yes. Or simple chafing - do your legs rub together when you walk?

Snicci Thu 13-Feb-14 22:29:00

Sounds like eczema

SolidGoldBrass Thu 13-Feb-14 23:20:05

Eek, yuk, argh, according to pics online it's probably chilblains. What a totally Victorian ailment.

ForgettableTampon Thu 13-Feb-14 23:23:20

ooouf, painful too then, not nice

Catsize Thu 13-Feb-14 23:47:00

It is a place in North Wales. Hadn't realised it could be grown. wink
Are you a planning officer?...

80sMum Thu 13-Feb-14 23:56:59

Chilblains. Nasty buggers! I used to get them every winter on hands and feet all through childhood. They were quite the norm. Most of my friends had them every year too. Thankfully, things are better now that most people have heated homes.
You might like to try a homeopath. My dad resorted to homeopathy for his chilblains one winter and never had a recurrence.

SolidGoldBrass Fri 14-Feb-14 00:02:34

Catsize: No, just a leaflet monkey.

80sMum, thanks for the sympathy but no to homeopathy.

Catsize Fri 14-Feb-14 00:10:30

Oh. Just wondered. I get this too. Are you wearing jeans? Or trousers with a harsh seam? Makes it worse. But seriously, a bit of sore skin is better than an entire Welsh market town between your knees.

MrsWedgeAntilles Fri 14-Feb-14 08:24:59

OP, you have my sympathy, I used to get chilblains every winter when I was wee. There's an (smelly, minging) ointment called wintergreen that used to offer some relief but didn't really do anything to get rid of them. I really struggled with them until one year I found a remedy in an old book at my granny's. It advised that you heat your chilblains in front of the fire until they feel painful and then rub them vigourously. Its not at all medical and it hadn't been tested in any way.

trashcanjunkie Fri 14-Feb-14 16:48:33

go outdoors have a fantastic selection of waterproof trews. I too work outdoors (doggy daycare) and have just spent obscene amounts of dosh on a good waterproof coat/ walking boots, and am now saving up for a pair of pants grin - my utter sympathies whatever it turns out to be, sounds rotten you poor thing thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now