Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be sick of sabotaging my own diet because...

(26 Posts)
mameulah Thu 13-Feb-14 21:54:18

...lovely people keep coming round to visit my baby and bring thoughtful gifts. And I keep buying in cakes and biscuits to serve and then ruddy well eating them.

What do you all serve guests when you are trying really hard to be healthy?

tia

trashcanjunkie Thu 13-Feb-14 21:59:57

Well, I am doing the lc bootcamp on here, and it's helping, I can't recommend it highly enough. You could 'develop' a wheat sensitivity and try and make sure you're already full to the brim with your healthy food before the visitors arrive, and announce you couldn't possibly eat the cakes without dreadful gut rot.

However, as you mentioned baby, I'm assuming that you have a new arrival? How about just not even worrying about it for a while, and then when the fuss dies down you'll be much more in control?

Alternatively, serve nuts and raisins/olives/little chorizos grin

mameulah Thu 13-Feb-14 22:37:13

Thank you for replying.

The allergy is a good idea, I guess I could say I had had a bit of an upset tummy or something. It just pisses me off that I have to buy all the yummy stuff and then it is eaten, or half eaten, and it is left. Either a waste of money. Or a waste of calories and a waste of money.

Our newborn is now 14 months and we have another one on the way. The visitors are great, the endless packets of scones and cookies and chocolates are actually starting to annoy me. Before I would have just not bought the stuff in order to avoid temptation.

trashcanjunkie Fri 14-Feb-14 17:09:32

or wagon wheels? nobody wants wagon wheels - you could buy one packet, and wave them at people each time they come grin

Joysmum Fri 14-Feb-14 17:19:45

I love olives and batons of carrots and celery to dip in my own dip. Love chick peas and butter beans and so keep in tins and then blitz up with yoghurt and garlic as it don't take 2 mins.

I'd only do that at lunch though. I've never kept biscuits and cakes in the house as I eat the packs in one go and have no self control.

Joysmum Fri 14-Feb-14 17:20:24

And mini pickled onions, gherkins, roasted peppers in the jars, ham.

frogslegs35 Fri 14-Feb-14 18:19:40

Give them the offending items as a doggy bag on their way out of the door.

Thornita17 Fri 14-Feb-14 18:40:03

trashcanjunkie i cannot believe you just said that! WW's are amazing.
How about rich tea biccies or something? Not overly tempting a biscuit and cheap too!

trashcanjunkie Sun 16-Feb-14 12:03:03

thornita grin there's places for your kind! She can't serve rich teas man. They're bleargh..... Sorry mameula I'm aware this isn't helping your plight

fatlazymummy Sun 16-Feb-14 13:38:04

Manor house cake is quite good for this sort of thing. It's really boring, so you won't be that tempted to eat the whole lot, but at the same time it is cake, so you can feel hospitable when you offer a slice to your guests.

fatlazymummy Sun 16-Feb-14 13:42:12

Or just buy something that you don't like very much. I don't really like ginger cake, or things with marzipan or blackcurrent so I would get something like that.

SingMoreWhenYoureWinning Sun 16-Feb-14 13:44:46

Sorry, but yabu.

If you want to diet, diet. You need to learn not to eat the biscuits/cake etc and control your own cravings. A diet will only EVER work if YOU learn how to say 'No' and change your own eating habits.

You have a 14 month old, so yummy naughty stuff being in the house now probably isn't too much of an issue...in a few years it will be.

I'm on a diet at the moment. I have crisps, biscuits, cakes and sweets in the cupboards here because I have a 6 and 3 year old and dh who is not on a diet.

The whole family eats healthy meals, but it would be totally ur of me to clear out all the goodies and never allow the dc or dh a biscuit just because I can't control my own willpower.

I'd get used to it now op tbh. Keep a few packets of biscuits handy for guests. Just learn not to eat them.

fatlazymummy Sun 16-Feb-14 14:07:27

singmore no one has to have biscuits or sweets in the house just because they have children .That's your choice, but they're not actually part of a healthy diet. They're just extras, and the OP never has to have them in her house if she doesn't want them.

SingMoreWhenYoureWinning Sun 16-Feb-14 14:14:10

I would say biscuits/crisps and the like are definitely part of a healthy diet.

WorraLiberty Sun 16-Feb-14 14:14:56

But even if the OP pretends to have an allergy or an upset stomach, why would that prevent her buying biscuits and cakes for her guests?

OP, the only way to be successful is to not eat them yourself.

The whole world is full of temptation so these things are unavoidable.

SingMoreWhenYoureWinning Sun 16-Feb-14 14:15:12

I have also never entered a house with children in that has absolutely no treat items. It's not the norm by any means.

SingMoreWhenYoureWinning Sun 16-Feb-14 14:19:02

The whole world is full of temptation so these things are unavoidable.

Absolutely...that's my point.

I'm on a diet now and temptation is everywhere. Dh and I went out for dinner on Friday. Do I have the massive steak with chips or the salmon and veg? The dc go to a party with a huge buffet laid out for all. Do I pick at it or not? Free pizza in work...do I have some or not?

The only way to be successful is to control your response to temptation. Not to remove it. Because removing it from all places is not possible.

RalphRecklessCardew Sun 16-Feb-14 14:22:13

You've just had a baby. Eat. Really. Really really.

BigPawsBrown Sun 16-Feb-14 14:27:34

Serve the biscuits and don't eat them yourself if you are on a diet?

SingMoreWhenYoureWinning Sun 16-Feb-14 14:32:18

Ralph...the baby is 14 months.

oldwomaninashoe Sun 16-Feb-14 15:36:25

Keep packets of Jaffa Cakes only, they are only 40 odd calories each and if you succumb its not too bad as long as you don't eat the whole packet!

CromeYellow Sun 16-Feb-14 16:14:30

If visitors are hungry here, they can snack on ryvita or raw veg and hummus. Few ever aregrin. Dieting is hard at the best of times and it's not unreasonable to want to have your home free of temptation. Being around sugar constantly would kill me with the temptation, it's much easier not to have it available. Buy only what you want to eat.

Joysmum Sun 16-Feb-14 16:17:56

Of course you should remove temptation until you can build up the skills to resist. I did and then gradually reintroduced on my stronger days to prove I could break the habit and be successful. But this also meant keeping away from temptation on the tough days do as not to revert.

Gradually, as you build in skills and confidence, your good days outnumber your tough days and you'll find that you are strong enough if the time to make the difference. This only happened over time for me though but I'm glad I did it this way as it was the only way I successfully lost my 6.5 stone and kept it off.

TalkinPeace Sun 16-Feb-14 17:18:10

watched the latest outnumbered last night

all was sideways till an imaginary illness

I don't eat chocolate : freaks people
pick an "intolerance" (sugar) stick to it
job done

Smileandmakemyday Sun 16-Feb-14 17:22:38

I buy stuff I don't like when dieting, so coffee cake / fruit cake etc then the visitors have something but I'm not tempted. If anyone mentions that you haven't had any just say you don't really like them and had a big breakfast / lunch whatever smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now