Talk

Advanced search

To spoil my cat.

(54 Posts)
HadABadDay2014 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:02:07

I have never been an animal person, but DH and DC wanted a kitten. I agreed as long as the cat wasn't my responsibility.

I have feel head over heels for her. So much that I have finally been able to give up smoking ( well only a week early days) in order to buy her toys and make sure I am able to afford vets and treats.

I am still learning about being a responsible cat owner. I am unsure at times. Like wtf is catnip

MrsDavidBowie Thu 13-Feb-14 21:03:36

What treats do cats need?
(looks at 11 year old cat who has never had a toy or treat in her life...just dry cat food every day)

akachan Thu 13-Feb-14 21:05:25

Mine loves her toys! She's just got a few mice from Wilkos and a bird on a string. I give her tuna as a treat or cooked chicken.

I was the same as you, I wasn't at all fussed until we got her and now she's my baby!

WelshMaenad Thu 13-Feb-14 21:05:37

No.

Mine sleeps on my pillow. She's ruined.

JumpingJackSprat Thu 13-Feb-14 21:06:10

Cat nip is a herb that cats find intoxicating. It doesn't really affect most cats until they're a year or two. Don't waste money on expensive toys just play with her a lot smile my cat goes mad for ham and those soft cat treat sticks made out of meat. I've taught her to do a few tricks for ham. Enjoy your new kitten op smile

Sparklingbrook Thu 13-Feb-14 21:06:18

Mine has a toybox. blush

HadABadDay2014 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:09:16

Things like kitten pate. Kitten chocolate buttons.

Toys lazier pen, scratching post with dangling things, toy mice, bird on a string.

Mrsb999 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:14:00

Rolled up kitchen foil is one our cats love!

HadABadDay2014 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:15:37

Mrs may have to do that now

TotallyBenHanscom Thu 13-Feb-14 21:16:43

Big cardboard boxes with holes cut in for hiding and jumping in/out of. Cost nothing and kittens LOVE them.

HadABadDay2014 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:17:53

Now have I got a box

GerundTheBehemoth Thu 13-Feb-14 21:18:12

Valerian has a similar effect to catnip, as I discovered when I bought myself some valerian teabags (valerian tea is supposed to help with sleeplessness), and the cat I had at the time practically wrestled me to the ground to get hold of them. I put one in a little drawstring bag and it became her favourite thing ever, though it was a little unsettling to see the way she'd clasp it against her face and inhale deeply...

I'm all for cheap cat toys. Lots of kittens will naturally play 'fetch' for ages with a screwed-up ball of paper. My current foster cats spend ages chasing each other around the playhouse I made for them - it's just three big Amazon boxes taped together with connecting holes cut in the sides grin

honeybeeridiculous Thu 13-Feb-14 21:20:12

Our cat goes wild with catnip, it's like a drug! Iv got a tube of catnip spray that i occasionally spray on his toy mouse, he goes orgasmic grin he rolls around on the mouse and cuddles it near his face, so sweet!
He also has a pillow to sleep on and gets a Xmas stocking
Spoilt? Never wink

HadABadDay2014 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:21:46

Kitten loves her new kitchen foil toy.

Sparklingbrook Thu 13-Feb-14 21:22:25

Sparkling Cat strokes my face in the night, and we have a cuddle. I love her so much. DH pretends he doesn't but I know he does.

BadgersRetreat Thu 13-Feb-14 21:23:23

Be careful with food treats - they are really fattening

Toys - ours go mental for a bit of string. Yes to balls of foil too.

Also little soft mice filled with catnip. The kitten carries them round the house and stops to give it a good battering every now and again!

Get them a scratch mat too - cheapo cardboard ones do the job.

<goes off to find a box to cut holes in>

BadgersRetreat Thu 13-Feb-14 21:24:08

oh and well done for giving up the fags!

mrsjay Thu 13-Feb-14 21:24:20

the lazer pen send them loopy i know it seems fun but it drives them to distraction , all the toys my cat needed was a box or a gift bag sge loved those, oh and yes flcking paper she loved batting it about

HadABadDay2014 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:24:49

She also likes balls of off socks or socks that have holes in.

Sparklingbrook Thu 13-Feb-14 21:26:20

Drinking straws are always popular here. She pushes them about and picks them up.

Corygal Thu 13-Feb-14 21:26:28

Cats respond really, really well to spoiling - and the best games are free; piece of string, box. I talk to my cat loads and he mews back, too.

mrsjay Thu 13-Feb-14 21:28:32

my cat used to sit in the tumble drier and BAT our dog as she walked past I am sure i heard the cat cackle grin

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:30:54

All cats should be spoilt, they bring so much love into a home.

I want some valerian tea bags now.

RandomMess Thu 13-Feb-14 21:33:43

Mine prefer fabric ribbon over string - it was an accidental discovery btw!

HadABadDay2014 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:35:16

Tbh before I had a cat I didn't know what a small fur ball could bring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now