Talk

Advanced search

to not give a shit about Valentine's Day?

(22 Posts)
MrsPeeWee Thu 13-Feb-14 20:50:26

My DH and I have been married for 5 years this year and together for 8. We have never celebrated Valentine's Day at all. Not even a card. We find it the biggest, most ridiculous money making scheme and prefer to stay away.
I was telling two of my friends this morning and they couldn't believe it. hmm

We celebrate our Wedding Anniversary, and are spontaneous throughout the year. That's good enough for us! wine

💩💩thanks

MeepMeepVrooooom Thu 13-Feb-14 20:52:58

I'm with you, through any relationship and my marriage I refused to acknowledge this silly day (sorry to those who like it)

I did receive mystery flowers last year and the year before though. Still don't know who they were from and that was nice and a little creepy however flowers are nice any day of the year.

RayPurchase Thu 13-Feb-14 20:53:03

Good for you hmm

Annunziata Thu 13-Feb-14 20:54:08

YABU you big grump.

MsVestibule Thu 13-Feb-14 20:56:25

YANBU to not celebrate Valentine's Day. YABU to think it's a money making scheme - well no more than Christmas, Mothers and Fathers Day. A token present or card can cost less than a fiver.

Laquitar Thu 13-Feb-14 21:01:53

If you dont want to celebrate is fine.
I dont understand the 'money making' thing that everybody goes on here. Dont you ever buy chocolates? Or wine or steak or anything? So why refuse to buy it in february? If anything there are some good offers around especially for chocolates and.....any excuse!

Mind you i dont get the cards but if people like them i dont care.

HadABadDay2014 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:05:57

There is only 1 date that I care for that is our anniversary. We both book it off and arrange child care. I would hate to be alone that date.

To some valentines is. Yanbu to not give a shit but yabu to expect that valentines not to be special for others.

LaQueenOfHearts Thu 13-Feb-14 21:17:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsjay Thu 13-Feb-14 21:20:59

och i am old and grumpy so not now but when i was young and smiley i loved valentines day the eldest dd is working tomorrow night so she and her boyfriend are going out in the afternoon and youngest dd is going out on her first valentine date aww I think it is a nice thing for couples to do it isn't a money making excerise well unless you think the same about christmas or mothers/fathers day

MrsPeeWee Thu 13-Feb-14 21:23:01

Woah, Woah, Woah! I never said I didn't expect others to celebrate, just that we don't.

Annunziata Thu 13-Feb-14 21:24:53

Oh mrsjay she is not grin What's he like, and where are they going? And are you following them!!!

mrsjay Thu 13-Feb-14 21:26:26

he seems ok a bit quiet he was at her birthday party last week he is a 6th year so an older man grin they are going to the cinema and nandos

mrsjay Thu 13-Feb-14 21:27:16

well i DO have to go into town tomorrow about 2ish so who knows wink

AlpacaLypse Thu 13-Feb-14 21:29:25

DP and I have been together for nineteen years now, and about two years in I asked him not to bother with the flowers stuff. My (horrible) grandfather was a West End florist, I know exactly how big the mark-up for roses (about 500%) and other red or pink flowers (about 200%) this weekend is, and I can think of so many better things to spend £50 on.

We will probably have a nice meal, at home, with our children.

And will go off somewhere nice (without our children...smile) in a few weeks.

yanbu OP.

Annunziata Thu 13-Feb-14 21:30:08

grin

StealthPolarBear Thu 13-Feb-14 21:30:18

The last valentines gift I got dh was alien vs predator on DVD. We've not really celebrated since

2tiredtocare Thu 13-Feb-14 21:33:37

We dont celebrate it but I have bought some little love tokens for my DC's

WaitMonkey Thu 13-Feb-14 21:34:23

Oh, Mrs.Jay, I read that as your dd's date was 6. I thought it odd a pair of 6 years olds where going in a date. grin

mrsjay Thu 13-Feb-14 21:34:29

I was pregnant on a valentines day with dd1 and i was ill with a terrible UTI and in bed dh then bf bought me roses I managed to get them in a bucket of water he still goes on about that fucking bucket 21 years later

mrsjay Thu 13-Feb-14 21:35:01

no she is 16 and he is 17 he is in 6th year at school (scotland) grin

youmakemydreams Thu 13-Feb-14 21:37:02

I can't get excited about it either.
I just feel it's a bit forced. I love do every day and before you all jump on and say so do you yes I know that but we do little things for each other all through the year and have the odd weekend away or meal out staring into each others eyes and making the neighbouring eater boak so we aren't bothered about it. Maybe if we were less lucky and this time alone rarer I'd feel differently.

RighteousSausage Thu 13-Feb-14 23:47:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now