Talk

Advanced search

To be a little bit annoyed with new neighbours

(115 Posts)
PeriodFeatures Thu 13-Feb-14 19:46:42

We live in a semi. The house next door was recently brought and the couple are working on it.

About 4 weeks ago at about 7pm it sounded like they were hammering skirting board and drilling walls. Really noisy for ages.

I popped round and ever so nicely asked how long they were going to be, said we were trying to settle baby. They were very apologetic and decent and I wished them well with the work etc.

A couple of weeks ago a man, i assume it was the father of one of the couple popped around to tell us he would be drilling until 7pm. I said thank you for letting us know, he looked really stressed.

A few days before this a storm tore through the gardens ripping down fence between our gardens. We put a note through their letter box saying that we'd cleaned up mess but not sure who is responsible for the fence, perhaps they could look at their deeds and we'd have a look at ours. Happy to go halves. No mention of this by stressed man!

We have now replaced fencing having had no response from neighbours. Monday an abandoned sink was left in front of our house on pavement. Sheepish builder came and removed it

T9onight more drilling until about 15 mins ago. DD woke up crying.

AIBU to be annoyed? Do I sound like an arse? I get they are probably stressed and busy but is it reasonable to be doing noisy diy until 7.30pm on a weeknight? Not to respond to note about damaged fence?

formerbabe Thu 13-Feb-14 19:49:25

I don't think 7.30 on a weeknight sounds too late.

hercules1 Thu 13-Feb-14 19:49:35

Sorry but noise until 7.30 during building work in a semi isn't a big deal. Very difficult for them to organise it round a baby.

Wantsunshine Thu 13-Feb-14 19:51:26

Why should they stop at 7. Would they also have to stop work for the baby to have its afternoon nap?

DevonFolk Thu 13-Feb-14 19:51:36

I'm assuming they both work? Evenings and weekends are probably the only chance they're getting to do any of the work. I agree it's annoying but as PPs have said 7:00-7:15 isn't actually that late.

Mrswellyboot Thu 13-Feb-14 19:51:41

I wouldn't get too annoyed with 7.30 but would chase them up on the fence thing. They probably don't in from work that early and the DIY is bound to settle down soon.

cansu Thu 13-Feb-14 19:52:17

no it isnt reasonable to be doing this at 7.30 especially now they know you have small children. I recently moved into a place requiring work. we worked in day time and I insisted that noisy stuff stopped at 6pm. unless it is emergency work then I think this is only fair. I think yabu re fence as they probably have massive list of jobs to do and fence will be low down on list at the moment.

Morgause Thu 13-Feb-14 19:53:44

7.30 - 8pm seems reasonable for new neighbours with lots to sort out.

Fifyfomum Thu 13-Feb-14 19:53:47

They can make as much noise as they want until 10pm.

I would consider yourself lucky

Icelollycraving Thu 13-Feb-14 19:54:40

Having had hideous neighbours who thought nothing of drilling at 11

Icelollycraving Thu 13-Feb-14 19:56:20

Having had hideous neighbours who thought nothing of drilling at 11pm, I think the fact it's over by 8pm is very reasonable. Yabu to think they should stop because of your baby.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Thu 13-Feb-14 19:56:23

They sound massively busy and stressed; I imagine that tb

RevoltingPeasant Thu 13-Feb-14 19:56:30

How can you work in the day time if you work full time though? confused

YABU unless you are going to keep your garrulous toddler quiet until 10am on Sundays so they can have a lie in in a few months' time.

LetZygonsbeZygons Thu 13-Feb-14 19:58:03

look up your council noise diy rules on the internet.

diy noise is supposed to be 8am-6pm mon-fri.

WhoNickedMyName Thu 13-Feb-14 19:58:12

I don't think they're unreasonable about doing work in their house at that time, and the fence is probably waaaay down on their list of things to do.

Sixweekstowait Thu 13-Feb-14 19:58:17

I don't have small children now but would be absolutely furious if there were noise after 6pm

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Thu 13-Feb-14 19:58:41

Sorry - that they intended to talk to you about the fence, it wasn't a priority then they saw you'd done it and probably assumed you'd looked at your deeds, found it to be yours and so replaced it - as you'd not discussed cost with them.
Hope it gets better for you.

WhoNickedMyName Thu 13-Feb-14 20:00:11

My local council website says 8am to 9pm is acceptable for DIY noise.

PeriodFeatures Thu 13-Feb-14 20:01:01

they are hammering the walls again now! I'm getting that they are really stressed and busy and the fence isnt a priority. They seem nice people and I dont want to be an arse but really? Nailing things into the party wall at 8pm?

LetZygonsbeZygons Thu 13-Feb-14 20:03:17

IT IS AGAINST THE LAW.

TELL THEM OR CALL 1O1.

NOISE 8AM-6PM.

ChaosTrulyReigns Thu 13-Feb-14 20:03:19

I don't think 8pm is that late really.

It's just diy - they'll be finished soom. Honest. It won't last forever.

ChaosTrulyReigns Thu 13-Feb-14 20:04:14

CAN YOU LINK TO THE LAW, ZYGONS?

Pippilangstrompe Thu 13-Feb-14 20:04:57

Look up your council rules and see what you can expect. It is ok until 10pm here.

NewtRipley Thu 13-Feb-14 20:06:07

Sorry, I know how stressful the noise is for you, with a young baby, but I think you meed to keep your powder dry for bigger issues than this.

I think the point about the noise your baby makes/will make is a good one. You want to keep things cordial

PeriodFeatures Thu 13-Feb-14 20:07:26

Well that would endear us to them Zygons !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now