Talk

Advanced search

Being asked to move on a long haul flight ..was I unreasonable not to move

(411 Posts)
34DD Thu 13-Feb-14 17:05:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DanceParty Thu 13-Feb-14 17:07:43

Nope, not unreasonable. She should have booked what she required. I wouldn't have moved either.

I loathe 'entitled' parents !

booksbooksandmorebooks Thu 13-Feb-14 17:08:45

I think it was not unreasonable to ask if she could have your seat, many people don't like to pay the (extortionate) fees to sit in the nicer seats with legroom, however she is being VVVU to roll her eyes at you for saying no. If it was that urgent, she should have booked ahead.

x

lessemin Thu 13-Feb-14 17:08:45

yanbu

DipMeInChocolate Thu 13-Feb-14 17:10:19

Definitely not unreasonable. I'd have done the same too.

bodygoingsouth Thu 13-Feb-14 17:10:19

I most definatly wouldn't have moved. cheeky cow.

I managed not to be an entitled princess travelling with 4 children. she should have ore booked her own seats.

the stewardess shouldn't have asked you and I would have told the woman's kids that 'mummy should have booked them proper seats'.

Poledra Thu 13-Feb-14 17:10:20

Nope. You paid extra for the seat, you were clearly able to pre-book your seats on the flight, why didn't she? Or should you subsidise her decision not to prebook seats?

OneHolyCow Thu 13-Feb-14 17:10:25

I don't know how tall you are (even though I can probably guess your norkage, funny that) but on a long haul flight I would not easily be coaxed out of my extra legroom seat either. I've been cramped up and it's no fun. She should have booked seats, tough.
YANBU

MillyONaire Thu 13-Feb-14 17:10:50

She (the mother) took gamble that she would get them moved once on the flight rather than pay to pre book. She lost and was feeling sore so took it out on you.
YANBU.

scarletforya Thu 13-Feb-14 17:11:30

Why would one of the children having a peanut allergy mean they'd need different seats? confused

HortenMarket Thu 13-Feb-14 17:11:33

YABU. If her child had a life threatening peanut allergy, then she was irresponsible for not ensuring appropriate seating before boarding the flight. Not your problem. YY to annoying entitled parents.

cathpip Thu 13-Feb-14 17:11:46

Yanbu, she knows her child has an allergy and she should of pre booked seats altogether. I hate the fact that parents who don't book feel that they can just expect other people to move so that they can sit next to each other!

HortenMarket Thu 13-Feb-14 17:12:36

Ah, meant YANBU!

Ragwort Thu 13-Feb-14 17:12:50

No of course you weren't unreasonable (but aren't peanuts banned on flights nowadays? confused.) If the adult knew that she and her children needed to be sat separately due to serious medical issues then of course they should have booked their seats in advance. How old was the child? Could he/she managed their allergy themselves?

It's a shame you couldn't have been upgraded to First Class though grin.

DanceParty Thu 13-Feb-14 17:12:58

I think it was not unreasonable to ask if she could have your seat, many people don't like to pay the (extortionate) fees to sit in the nicer seats with legroom

But they expect people who HAVE paid to be accommodating? Dream on.

MrsSquirrel Thu 13-Feb-14 17:13:27

YANBU, her passive-aggressive glaring was U

expatinscotland Thu 13-Feb-14 17:13:43

YANBU. I wouldn't have moved, either.

Gruntfuttock Thu 13-Feb-14 17:14:07

You were perfectly reasonable and I would have done exactly the same.

MothratheMighty Thu 13-Feb-14 17:14:07

How useful, OP. smile
Now she knows that she has to be more proactive to get the results she wants. If the airline had known when she booked, they would have accommodated her. So she will know for next time.

maggiemight Thu 13-Feb-14 17:15:13

Cheeky moo.

Yes, def sounds like she was chancing her arm, really, if you can afford to fly three people long haul you can if you really want to, pay the extra for seats.

YouseewhathappensLarry Thu 13-Feb-14 17:15:30

Definitely YANBU a bit unfair for the air stewardess to assume you should move because you were on your own,the peanut mum should have booked her own seats.

sillylittleperson Thu 13-Feb-14 17:18:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Freddiefrog Thu 13-Feb-14 17:19:51

YANBU

I pre-book seats and pay the extra so I ensure I'm sitting with my kids,

I wouldn't expect random people on a plane to move around for me. If you take the chance and don't pre-book, you can't get snotty when people who have pre-booked refuse to move for you

CrohnicallyFarting Thu 13-Feb-14 17:21:31

Peanuts aren't banned on all flights however I recently travelled on a flight where they made an announcement that a passenger had a severe peanut allergy, therefore no peanuts were to be served on the flight and could passengers please refrain from eating anything they had brought with them which contained peanuts.

The mother should have made arrangements before and YANBU.

HesterShaw Thu 13-Feb-14 17:22:11

And the correlation between peanut allergies and legroom is? confused

YWNBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now