Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that the next step will be to ban smoking around children in people's homes?

(56 Posts)
Carter1 Thu 13-Feb-14 15:43:11

OK, first off, I don't smoke and, yes, I do think it is selfish to smoke around children in enclosed spaces OR around other adults who hate it for that matter. So just to get that out of the way. But...

The reasoning behind this ban is that it protects children from adult cigarette smoke in enclosed spaces even if the enclosed space such as a car is privately owned. This is important as all bans previously have concerned public buildings NOT owned by the smoker.

Now I may be missing something here but what's the difference between an enclosed space- i.e. a room in a privately-owned house- and a car when it comes to smoking around children?

I see none. So if it's wrong in cars then logically it must be extended to homes too, right?

If right, then how will this be enforced? Will the police have right to enter homes uninvited? So they can just enter uninvited to somebody's home because they suspect somebody is smoking around a child? If they have to give warning then the law is useless as it is impossible to prove who has smoked where.

AIBU?

AnotherHastyNameChange Thu 13-Feb-14 15:45:53

Well, a car is usually quite a bit smaller than any room...
...And people can leave the room in a home, but that would be a tad tricky in a moving car.

bluebirdonmyshoulder Thu 13-Feb-14 15:53:36

Some of us think that should be the next step.

fluffyraggies Thu 13-Feb-14 15:54:50

No idea how it will be policed. I hope it will at least make some people stop and think before making their kids inhale vile fag smoke in close quaters though.

I don't think it's any adult's right to perform an act which inflicts damage on their kids lungs - private space or not.

ohfourfoxache Thu 13-Feb-14 15:57:15

It should be the next step.

Smoking around children is wrong. End of.

And I say that as someone who loves smoking but have had to give up as I just don't have the lung function to allow me to continue. I miss it dreadfully.

Carter1 Thu 13-Feb-14 15:59:43

Yes a car may be smaller than a room, but not always and, even if it is, what if the child cannot reach the door handle/is too small to walk out?

The issue-as I see it - is this, logically, it HAS to be banned in people's homes if it is banned in cars.

So how is this to be enforced? Does everybody have to inform the government if they smoke? I mean a smoker may not have children themselves in their home, but they can visit the home, can't they? Can the police have carte blanche to enter a home if they think a child is there? Will a smoker have the police demand entry on suspicion of there being a child present even if there are none around?

UriGeller Thu 13-Feb-14 16:00:04

Well it's very visible isn't it? Its horrible to look inside a car and see adults smoking in the front and children strapped in, unable to move away having to breathe in the foul visible smoke. Its distasteful to witness.

Whereas, as we know from the many news stories, adults can do what they like to children if we cant see them doing it. We don't have to look so our senses aren't offended.

UriGeller Thu 13-Feb-14 16:01:18

But yes, smoking anywhere near children should be banned.

Carter1 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:02:10

And how do you define anywhere?

forceslover Thu 13-Feb-14 16:03:27

Sounds a good idea to me, smoking is repulsive.

Dahlen Thu 13-Feb-14 16:03:46

I think it will be extended to homes eventually, although whether it's actually an enforced law or one in principle only remains to be seen.

There has already been discussion about banning smoking as part of the tenancy agreements of social housing in the way it's already been a part of some private tenancies for many years. And I believe it's already the case that you can't foster a child under 12 months if you're a smoker. It seems to be an extension of that, really.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It goes against my natural liberal tendencies and it's only ever going to be able to be prosecuted by accident rather than design (e.g. some sort of official arrives at the house, realises smoking has been going on and reports it). I feel it is an invasion of people's rights to quiet enjoyment of their homes.

At the same time, I think it's incredibly selfish of people to smoke around children when children have no option to escape it, and in cases where children have health problems affected by smoking, such as asthma or glue ear, it is a form of neglect IMO.

fluffyraggies Thu 13-Feb-14 16:04:07

There are lots of things which are a child safety/protection issue which go on in private behind closed front doors.

Just because something is hard to police doesn't mean it should be left to go on.

RedFocus Thu 13-Feb-14 16:04:56

I believe it should be the next step too. I am also an ex smoker but smoking around kids is disgraceful.

blahblahblah2014 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:05:01

Smoke in a car goes straight out the window (if the car is moving)

Not the case in a room

Nanny state alert!

Carter1 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:05:33

Yes, I agree that smoking is repulsive as a matter of personal opinion but what also is repulsive is the police having the right to break down a smoker's door (when smoking, remember IS legal) just because they suspect a child is present.

Smoking is not a crime.

ohfourfoxache Thu 13-Feb-14 16:05:44

Schools may well be asked to help to police this - kiddie arrives at school smelling of smoke and an alert is raised that way.

GPs and health visitors will probably be involved too.

Then there is peer pressure.

Also I suppose hat there could be the threat of future litigation

DanceParty Thu 13-Feb-14 16:06:32

bluebird - some of us think that should be the next step

Well as they won't know who smokes and who doesn't, and it will require regular weekly patrols to find out, I am sure YOU won't mind people knocking on your door weekly and demanding to come in so they can see whether you smoke, or not, yes?

Pootles2010 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:06:43

I would put money on them slowly, slowly moving towards banning smoking entirely.

ohfourfoxache Thu 13-Feb-14 16:08:15

Think they are already Pootles

Carter1 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:09:40

They'll only ban it once the revenue they receive from tobacco is less than the harm it does.

UriGeller Thu 13-Feb-14 16:10:27

"Smoke in a car goes straight out the window (if the car is moving)"

Yeah, if its well-behaved smoke, it says excuse me on its way out. hmm Honestly, that is also counting on the smokers being considerate enough to have the windows open in winter. Consideration for others isn't a characteristic one would immediately attach to smokers.

Mim78 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:11:43

Maybe just ban it altogether. After all why cannabis etc and not tobacco? Is it just degrees of dangerousNess we are talking about?

UriGeller Thu 13-Feb-14 16:12:33

I expect if it became law it would rely on "good citizens" reporting that they've seen it going on. Like telling on benefits cheats.

WilsonFrickett Thu 13-Feb-14 16:14:25

There's no way they will ban smoking entirely, it raises far too much money. That said, I'd rather that than this creeping semi-criminalisation of what is, after all, a perfectly legal act.

I hate smoking. I don't smoke. But the idea of someone knocking on my door to see if I partake in a legal activity is beyond Orwellian to me, and I agree, it feels like that will be the next logical extension.

Carter1 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:15:22

Now I do think smoking is a repulsive habit, but what people do not consider is that it is perfectly legal to smoke if you are an adult in this country.

To legislate against people smoking around children in their own homes would have all kinds of unintended consequences:

1, That government having the absolute authority to be informed if an individual starts smoking.

2, The right of the agents of government to enter the home of a smoker just because they suspect a child might be around.

So a normally-law abiding citizen is on the loo having a quick fag and in bursts in the police.

Without sounding like the daily hate, haven't they better things to do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now