Talk

Advanced search

to have just realised that childhood bullying wasn't my fault?

(10 Posts)
NotBrittaPieHonest Thu 13-Feb-14 15:37:17

I just had a realisation...

When I told XH about me being bullied at school, and he said that it wasn't real bullying because they never hit me, and I probably brought it on by being annoying and weird anyway.

Fuck.

Change 'bullying' for 'abuse'.

Twat.

Thetallesttower Thu 13-Feb-14 15:38:54

Notbritta absolutely you weren't to blame! I have friends whose lives were really affected by bullying. I'm sorry you swapped one bully for another but glad you got out.

WaffilyVersatile Thu 13-Feb-14 15:40:38

Huh! XH is clearly XH for a good reason. Twunt.

Glad you had your epiphany grin

NotBrittaPieHonest Thu 13-Feb-14 15:45:32

I'm doing it regularly now - suddenly thinking 'oh! He was actually really out of order then!' and often 'wow, Mumsnet was right... I should have LTB ages ago!'

Liberating

grin

eltsihT Thu 13-Feb-14 16:04:46

I realised not that long ago that I dressed a particular way at school (no uniforms) so the other kids would pick on that, think Cardy with 36 different colours. So they didn't pick on me for something I couldn't change like having red hair.

Bullying/abuse is a funny(not haha) sort of thing

mrsjay Thu 13-Feb-14 16:12:07

maybe that that is why he is your ex lovey , i was bullied all the way through high school nobody ever touched me ever, it stays with your for a long time forever in some peoples cases, you are well rid of that bully you were married too,

NotBrittaPieHonest Thu 13-Feb-14 16:16:58

It's quite possible it's the childhood bullying that made me think EA was ok in a marriage.

mrsjay Thu 13-Feb-14 16:20:18

many people don't realise they are being abused until they find the strength to leave

KissesBreakingWave Thu 13-Feb-14 16:30:33

Britta, I had the same problem. At home more than at school - I preferred school because I was allowed to hit back - and I didn't register the EA as abuse because I wasn't being hit. Result was tolerating two terribly abusive relationships far longer than I should've.

NotBrittaPieHonest Thu 13-Feb-14 16:35:27

The weird thing, I kind of did realise it was abuse. But didn't leave because I didn't think it was 'serious' enough. Or something.

The actual thing that tipped me into leaving him wasn't the abuse, or the debate about it being abuse or not. It was the realisation that people split up just cos they are unhappy. The reason for the unhappiness was less relevant.

It's only now, a year later, that I'm actually mentally unpacking what happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now