Advanced search

regarding storm damage insurance claim

(4 Posts)
RoomWithNoView Thu 13-Feb-14 14:53:59

I'm in the Midlands and the weather has been windy and horrid, but not as awful as its been in some other places around the country.

Thing is after a particularly windy night we found a strip of roof tiles had been blown off our roof. DM tells me I can't just claim on the insurance because its been a bit windy, it has to be gale force or summat.

AIBU to make a claim?

BrokenFairylights Thu 13-Feb-14 15:04:11

Your house insurance should cover it, although by the time you stump up the excess and pay next years inflated premium you might be better off getting a local roofer to fix it yourself. Plus you won't have to wait for a visit from an insurance assessor or be made to use an -a ridiculously expensive- 'approved' contractor grin

ScarlettInSpace Thu 13-Feb-14 15:13:59

You can claim on buildings insurance, I have done exactly that this morning after some of my ridge tiles blew off last night and took half my guttering with them... They told me to get someone out asap to make safe & quote for repair, assessor only required if over a grand otherwise they would authorise over the phone and reimburse by return.

Speaking as someone with a pathologic hatred of insurance companies and who only insures because it's a mortgage stipulation I was surprised how apparently straightforward it is!

Preciousbane Thu 13-Feb-14 16:11:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: