Talk

Advanced search

To want to be....

(6 Posts)
notthedressiwanted Thu 13-Feb-14 12:11:14

An undertaker?

I'm trying it think ahead because my job in the Armed Forces is in the redundancy bracket.

I've being doing my current trade since leaving school (20+ years ago-yikes).
I'm certainly not squeamish, and can't think of a better way to care and give people their last bit of dignity.

Are there any ladies out there that have experience in this line of work??

Dahlen Thu 13-Feb-14 12:18:30

No experience in this trade (although I've seen my fair share of bodies), but I'd say if you're not squeamish and you're an empathetic person who has good people skills, why not?

Have you looked into it? Are there organisational bodies you need to join? Are you planning to be employed or start your own company?

Have you had experience of your own loved ones dying an having to deal with organising funerals, etc? If you've gone through the process, I think it would help a lot.

There is good money to be made in it and it's an industry that's never going to go into decline.

Good luck.

notthedressiwanted Thu 13-Feb-14 12:32:48

Thanks Dahlen.

I've had cause to attend multiple post mortems so death and bodies don't scare me.

I'm looking Into it have already made contact with a couple of funeral homes, for advice also.
As far as I've found out the organisational bodies require you to be on the job before joining and can do training and gain qualifications once in the job too.

I lost my dad almost 9 years ago, and was the strong one who organised it all.

Obviously I'll need paying but it's not the reason I want to go into it, I really want a worthwhile job.

lljkk Thu 13-Feb-14 13:51:40

It's a good trade, go for it!

Hassled Thu 13-Feb-14 13:53:39

I think wanting to be an undertaker is admirable - such an important role in any community, and undervalued really. The best of luck with it.

themummyonthebus Thu 13-Feb-14 15:32:49

My Mum was one and she found it very rewarding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now