Talk

Advanced search

To think when there are storm warnings and torrential rain the school should ease off on the uniform?!

(68 Posts)
GraduallyGoingInsane Wed 12-Feb-14 18:42:01

I'm a huge fan of uniform, really I am. I have 4 DDs and there is no doubt that it saves me from endless morning battles. I'm the first to say that rules should be kept and come down on my DDs.

However, when it is pouring with rain, there is howling wind and the local news is awash (pun intended!) with storm warnings, I am not impressed with a detention note for my DD wearing a coat. Personally I think I should get a medal for convincing a teenager to wear a coat!

The rules are it must be navy, have sleeves and be free from logos. We bought the official coat in year 7 and it remained unworn so we haven't replaced it. After much nagging she took her barbour coat, no obvious logos, but it's dark green. She doesn't have a navy coat. She has a navy gilet but the school are really hot on them not wearing those, and in fact one of the 'strikes' leading to the detention was from wearing that.

The school policy is 3 'marks' in one term equals detention, so I am also angry with DD3 as one mark was entirely her own fault (rolling up her school skirt). 2 were for wearing coats in grim weather though, and that irks me.

I'm also irritated that the school is clearly inconsistent. DD1 took her ski coat which is grey with lime green checks on! No uniform mark for her though! DD3 said that her form tutor had indicated it was a school-wide clamp down on coats but this clearly wasn't the case.

I totally accept clamping down on scruffy shirts, short skirts and makeup. I will back the school to the end with that. But a clamp down on coats on a stormy day? I'm angry.

I am frustrated that my 13 year old is now saying she will just wear her blazer tomorrow as she doesn't want to get in more trouble. We will rectify the lack of navy coat this weekend, but in the short term she is going to be soaked.

FlyingDucky Wed 12-Feb-14 18:45:24

Back the school up OP.

She should wear uniform. And she has hd 3 chances already.

pixiepotter Wed 12-Feb-14 18:46:23

The strike was not for wearing a coat in foul weather, it was for wearing * a non-regulation* coat

Sirzy Wed 12-Feb-14 18:46:52

Normally I would go with the school but when the weather is so exteme then some leniency should be allowed.

CaterpillarCara Wed 12-Feb-14 18:48:37

Weeelll.... if there is a uniform coat, then I suppose you should have probably bought that colour. My children have to have a coat which is black, grey or red. I have ensured that their coats fit this, even though I am relatively unconvinced about the merit of the rule. It did take ages to find one which was (a) a decent price, (b) a decent quality, (c) fit for all weathers, (d) school colours, (e) met with child approval. It was possible though!

It seems to me, that if you are a uniform supporter, you should be cross DD1 didn't get a mark!

FunLovinBunster Wed 12-Feb-14 18:48:38

Back the school up, please OP. Parents and school have to speak as one re school rules/discipline.

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Wed 12-Feb-14 18:50:41

I'm fine with school uniform except these silly school coat rules. My school was strict on uniform but the coat rule was neutral colour. Makes much more sense to me

crashbangboom Wed 12-Feb-14 18:52:15

Uniform school coat. What planet are these schools on! Oh yes the money making planet.

NonnoMum Wed 12-Feb-14 18:52:28

I don't think uniform restrictions should extend to coats...

steff13 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:53:07

The coat is part of the uniform requirement. If your daughter doesn't have a coat that fulfills that requirement, then you know that any time she wears it to school, she is violating the uniform requirement and is subject to a demerit. If the school's uniform policy extends to coats, why didn't you make sure they had the appropriate coats?

I think it sucks that they aren't applying the policy equitably, though.

Lj8893 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:56:27

Ok I only have a baby and its been several years since I was at school myself but uniform regulation coats!!!! Never heard of such a thing!!

steff13 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:56:41

I don't think uniform restrictions should extend to coats...

I don't think so, either. But, if it does, it does.

Uniform school coat. What planet are these schools on! Oh yes the money making planet.

Not necessarily. It doesn't seem that the school requires a specific coat, just a specific type. Presumably the OP could have bought the regulation coat in lieu of the green coat.

KatnipEvergreen Wed 12-Feb-14 18:58:25

I don't think uniform should be allowed to apply to raincoats.

ikeaismylocal Wed 12-Feb-14 18:59:18

Why did you buy a coat thay wasn't navy blue? If you had just refused to buy a coat that wasn't navy blue there wouldn't be an issue.

Why pander to her vanity and buy a different coat?

AmberSpyglass Wed 12-Feb-14 18:59:20

Why doesn't she have a coat she can wear to school? Even without storms there are plenty of days where its cold/wet enough to need a coat, do you just send her without every other day? Surely navy coats are reasonably easy to find?

FlyingDucky Wed 12-Feb-14 18:59:47

crashbangwallop you can get a navy coat in new look for £19

livelablove Wed 12-Feb-14 19:00:30

I agree a bit of leniency about these things in difficult conditions would be great. For example if it is really cold they could wear an extra thick coat or boots. For those saying back the school up I will when they are like dds school and have a little flexibility towards these things, but if they start being super strict, bringing in more and more expensive uniform and kit and getting Ott on the punishments I will feel less inclined to back them.

AuntieStella Wed 12-Feb-14 19:03:03

If she won't wear a coat willingly, let her go out without one (yes, I have teens). If she won't wear a uniform coat, tell her she must go without.

If you want to offer her some storm protection, get a navy cagoule that she can squash up into her bag.

Unless she has a clothes/uniform allowance, is it really her fault that she does not own a uniform coat?

ComposHat Wed 12-Feb-14 19:05:23

I think this is a problem of her and your making OP

Barbour coats are expensive, so cost is not an issue. You could have got her a Waterproof school approved waterproof navy coat and a more fashionable out of school coat for the fraction of the cost of one Barbour.

I agree that school uniforms are becoming increasingly restrictive and petty, but knowing the policy you shouldn't be surprised if they enforce it.

GraduallyGoingInsane Wed 12-Feb-14 19:05:50

As far as DD knows I completely 100% back the school. She will be doing the detention, she has had a talking to, largely revolving around how if she had not broken the rules before she wouldn't be in this position, and maybe the school wouldn't have been so hard about a dark green coat. She had a detention last year for her uniform (not coat related) and I went bonkers, she was grounded and DH did his disappointed face (reserved for v serious occasions only).

I don't feel I can be too harsh about the coat itself though - I as the parent should have ensured she had a coat. If she doesn't have a navy one, she can't wear it, and I told her to wear a coat.

I guess what irritates me is that in previous years if it was a dark, plain coat it was ok in reality if not officially. Gilets have always been a no, but black/dark green/dark grey were winked by. When DD found a coat she'd wear at weekends (the green one) I always assumed she'd get away with it at school.

If the school are going to 'clamp down' I'd rather it was on a clear day or we were given some warning - ie a letter saying 'we've noticed some children in coats that are not navy. From Monday we will be clamping down.'

winterhat Wed 12-Feb-14 19:06:28

Why did the coat in year 7 "remain unworn"? Was there no bad weather that year? hmm If she likes Barbour coats why doesn't she have a blue one instead of a green one?

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 12-Feb-14 19:07:10

Uniform coats are just ridiculous. Who can afford to buy two coats plus summer coats on top.

They wear it from the bus stop to the class room then take it off.

IamInvisible Wed 12-Feb-14 19:08:08

I would normally say back the school, but in this case they should let it go imo.

When my DSes were at school they had to wear a dark coloured coat with no logos, so that was easy to provide.

I don't think regulations should extend to coats. A coat should be something that is practical to wear to and from school and at weekends/holidays imo. Not everyone has the money to buy one for school and one for home.

Stinklebell Wed 12-Feb-14 19:10:38

Yes, I do think there should be a bit of leniency with uniform when the weather is like it is currently.

My Year 7 DD got a "uniform strike" today for wearing boots to school - she had her correct uniform shoes in her bag and was going to change into them when she got to her form room but there was someone on the gate checking uniform on the way in and refused to listen when she tried to explain. We're not flooded but it's extremely wet

Mine won't usually wear a coat either but she did today, just plain black one - they're not allowed to wear them inside the school gates though, so IMO they don't get an opinion on the colour

steff13 Wed 12-Feb-14 19:10:47

Why would you buy one coat for school and one for home?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now