Talk

Advanced search

AIBU re children

(24 Posts)
Tolstoysjudge Wed 12-Feb-14 18:31:15

To think that children nowadays are less well behaved than 20/30 years ago?

LEMmingaround Wed 12-Feb-14 18:32:20

YABU

Sirzy Wed 12-Feb-14 18:47:47

Yabu

ikeaismylocal Wed 12-Feb-14 18:48:52

Yabu, I was a child 20/30 years ago, I was shockingly naughty.

hazeyjane Wed 12-Feb-14 18:53:15

Yabu

CoffeeTea103 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:53:58

Yanbu

OneStepCloser Wed 12-Feb-14 18:54:07

YABU 20/30 years ago kids were the same, sometimes good, sometimes naughty, in 20/30 years time, it`ll be the same.

AmberSpyglass Wed 12-Feb-14 18:54:57

Yabu

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Wed 12-Feb-14 18:55:23

And?

HoneyDragon Wed 12-Feb-14 18:55:36

Based on what?

cory Wed 12-Feb-14 19:33:07

Which children? The one who threw rotten tomatoes at me (heaven knows where he got those) on my first walk to school 44 years ago? Or my friend's son who has just finished volunteering in the nursing home for dementia patients?

Fighting in the school ground was pretty well accepted in my childhood and nothing that denoted bad manners as such. These days it would be considered very ill mannered and a repeat offence is likely to get you excluded.

cogitosum Wed 12-Feb-14 19:35:12

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

lazyhound444 Wed 12-Feb-14 19:35:46

Our Principal Teacher trots out this quote from Socrates every time this subject comes up:
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

So, yeah, YABU and so will every generation after you.

lazyhound444 Wed 12-Feb-14 19:36:21

Cross posted with cogitosum!

cogitosum Wed 12-Feb-14 19:36:32

X post!

PandaFeet Wed 12-Feb-14 19:40:20

I do think children have become the focus of our lives more than before. But I don't think their behaviour is worse.

When I was a child children at family get togethers were expected to amuse themselves and leave the adults in peace. Nowadays, children sit in the same room and dominate the evening.

Its not a bad thing necessarily. Just different.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 12-Feb-14 19:42:33

I think young children today are less capable than in generations preceding them.

Super awesome on an iPad, not so much at anything else.

ouryve Wed 12-Feb-14 19:42:34

YABU

Iwannalaylikethisforever Wed 12-Feb-14 19:43:38

Yabu
I was an absolute PITA as a child & very naughty at school.
I think the difference is everyone takes more notice of children. Going are the days "seen and not heard".

Joysmum Wed 12-Feb-14 19:44:59

My daughter is better behaved than I was.

lljkk Wed 12-Feb-14 20:01:30

I'm not seeing it...

My cousin in a temper smashed a glass shower door when he was about 8yo, 1978.

My dad & his twin used to get regularly paddled for their bad behaviour at school in the 1940s. This went on until they were 11.

My mom's sister got drunk with the town paedophile at around age 11, 1933 (I've read furious letter from my grandfather blaming his absent wife hmm ). Same sister had an abortion around 1940. She was a wild thing. Sweet old lady now. smile

natwebb79 Wed 12-Feb-14 21:18:16

YABU. My grandad (now 90) used to lock his teachers in the cupboard and steal things from shops. My dad (now 60) used to behave badly enough to be physically punished every day at school. He also used to bunk off and steal. According to both of them they were far from the only ones (my grandad is my mum's dad so wasn't my dad's role model!). I've taught for 10 years and would gasp at what those 2 got up to!grin grin

My mother used to climb out of her bedroom window and take the night train into town, party all night and get the milk train back and climb back in. Her parents were none the wiser.

My dad used to wedge the carpet under the toilet door (aged six) so that the babysitter was locked in and he could do what he liked.

Ps loving that Socrates quote

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now