Talk

Advanced search

The beauty of mumsnet is its diversity

(7 Posts)
Takingthemickey Wed 12-Feb-14 18:19:14

I get to see how others live their lives:

- the wealthy mnetters help me see how the 1% live, satisy my nosy nature and help me dream;

- those struggling have taught me a lot about empathy and a better understanding of the challenges people face.

- and of course the many of us that are living ordinary lives

Why does it appear that 'wealthier' lifestyles are criticised here? How will I know the lifestyles of the rich and famous if people jump on them when they post?

mistermakersgloopyglue Wed 12-Feb-14 18:25:22

I totally agree with you. The thing I love most about mumsnet is that you can read about pretty much any subject (including things that are nothing to do with parenting) from an absolutely huge range of viewpoints and experiences. I know there are certain 'mumsnet party lines' on some issues, but i still think the range of views is huge. I think you would struggle to find it in many other places actually.

I also agree with you on the jumping on the wealthy/successful as well though.

kelper Wed 12-Feb-14 18:29:38

I love reading the threads about private schools because I wish I had that much money spare that I could justify it
I also love reading threads about travelling upper class on a Disney forum I use, I love to dream smile

TamerB Wed 12-Feb-14 18:33:12

I agree- it is the appeal.

Takingthemickey Wed 12-Feb-14 18:34:48

I love to dream too. Please don't stop sharing.

cricketpitch Wed 12-Feb-14 18:41:41

Agree absolutely. It has certainly taught me a lot. From tips about cleaning, to what it is really like to live with a child who has difficulties; from seeing things from a feminist/more left/ more right wing point of view to really useful advice when I have needed it.

I have had my eyes opened and my mind broadened - and laughed hysterically at times.

Wonderful to exchange views with people who have such a different experience from my own. Hugely value it.

ChaosTrulyReigns Wed 12-Feb-14 18:45:14

I agree, I have had minimal exposure to SN on my life.

I have far more awareness and, hopefully, empathy now.

Thanks MN.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now