Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be outraged by this (abortion clinics)?

(18 Posts)
louloutheshamed Wed 12-Feb-14 15:00:23

Can't find a thread...

Videos here showing women at abortion clinics being told that having an abortion will increase their risk of breast cancer, miscarriage, infertility, mental illness and could make them more likely to sexually abuse their children...

www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/10621459/Abortion-will-make-women-child-sex-abusers.html

How is this happening??

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Wed 12-Feb-14 15:08:07

YANBU, it is shocking.

But just to be clear, this isn't happening at abortion clinics. It's happening at bogus "crisis pregnancy centres", which masquerade as abortion clinics to trick women and then attempt to lie and manipulate them to prevent them from having an abortion.

Abortion clinics like BPAS continue to provide the ethical services they always have.

Calloh Wed 12-Feb-14 15:10:06

YANBU. That is sickening. How can people justify doing this to themselves?

Calloh Wed 12-Feb-14 15:11:51

Sorry, I didn't put that well. I meant how can people's consciences allow themselves to lie to manipulate vulnerable people all in the cause of their own personal morals.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Wed 12-Feb-14 15:14:35

I feel sick watching that. Who the fuck do they think they are?

JanePurdy Wed 12-Feb-14 15:16:24

I've reported your thread asking for the title to be changed. This isn't happening at abortion clinics, it's happening in so called counselling/pregnancy crisis centres.

LoonvanBoon Wed 12-Feb-14 15:16:35

There was a piece about this on Woman's Hour this morning - should be on iplayer now. There were recordings of real "counselling" interviews in which these claims were made. It was really quite shocking.

Fairy1303 Wed 12-Feb-14 15:17:21

YANBU. That is a disgusting way to treat vulnerable women.

Hobbes8 Wed 12-Feb-14 15:19:52

Abortion clinics are very highly regulated, so this wouldn't happen in one. However anyone can set themselves up as a "counsellor" and give all manner of dodgy advice.

louloutheshamed Wed 12-Feb-14 15:22:46

Huge apologies I didn't about the terminology.

I'm so shocked at how people can make such claims for which there is zero evidence.

I heard it on women's hour too- it was horrific.

LoonvanBoon Wed 12-Feb-14 15:45:26

Can't remember all the details without listening again, but I think one of the issues, Hobbes, was that there are links on NHS websites to an organization called CareConfidential, & the dodgy counselling services are affiliated to them.

A rep. from the organization was on Woman's Hour & trying v. hard to distance herself from the examples of counselling heard on the programme - said they were "looking into it" etc. - but couldn't offer any guarantees as to when they would be able to say with confidence that this wasn't happening in any affiliated clinics.

Another contributor was arguing that NHS info. shouldn't be pointing women in the direction of such poor counselling.

TheFabulousIdiot Wed 12-Feb-14 15:49:50

Care Confidentials Website says "Centres provide educational programmes into schools, colleges and youth groups; plus post-abortion support service into women’s prisons"

blergh

It's fucking awful.

TheFabulousIdiot Wed 12-Feb-14 15:53:46

I would urge anyone who has chosen to have an abortion and felt absolutely fine about their decision to fill in this us your story' http://www.careconfidential.com/TellUs.aspx form from tehir website to stress that tit is entirely possible to have an abortion and for it not to damage your life.

TheFabulousIdiot Wed 12-Feb-14 15:58:32

this is the story they are displaying at the moment on their website as an experience of abortion:

"I'm a fourth year student at University and due to graduate this summer. I'm single, with no clear life path and 12 weeks pregnant to a random who took serious advantage of me walking home after a heavy night out. I weighed up every option but I think realistically I knew my decision long before I said it out loud. I understand fully the pro-life argument and agree with many aspects of it but ultimately I'm not ready to raise a child, especially under these circumstances. I couldn't guarantee it the best start in life and I decided it wasn't fair on it - or me.
Honestly though I (naively) didn't realise how bad the procedure is going to be until I read similar stories online and I'm bricking myself. I had no idea it was a fully formed baby that could be seen or that there is an umbilical cord to be cut. I know my head has been in the sand here but nobody really speaks about the procedure just about the decision. It's just difficult when you know you've made the 'right' decision but it's the hardest thing you've ever had to do. I'll post again after Tuesday about the experience and hopefully help someone else in a similar situation as they have really helped me through this."

FOR FUCKS SAKE!

LoonvanBoon Wed 12-Feb-14 16:00:53

The most disgusting thing I heard in the interviews on Woman's Hour was the claim - utterly unsubstantiated by any evidence at all - that a woman who's had an abortion is more likely to sexually abuse any subsequent children.

WilsonFrickett Wed 12-Feb-14 16:02:07

Dear God. That is fucking disgusting.

MaidOfStars Wed 12-Feb-14 17:39:22

Jeremy Hunt is pretty anti-abortion, I seem to recall (or at least, only under very limited circs). So no chance of our Health Secretary addressing this, I assume?

WhereYouLeftIt Wed 12-Feb-14 19:35:34

I listened to this on Radio 4 Women's Hour this morning; totally gobsmacked by the lies these people told.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now