Talk

Advanced search

to expect my local Ford garage to be more helpful on this

(9 Posts)
RawShark Wed 12-Feb-14 14:04:17

Sorry this just happened so I am a bit ranty

The knob on my integral SATNAV (2011 Focus Titanium) broke and fell off - I still have it. It is a simple knob which just slots over the piston bit coming out of the satnav, not glued or anything just a simple sleeve. Without it I can use the SATNAV but it is really difficult and looks shit.

Apparently this knob is "trim" and therefore not covered by the 3 year warranty. Fine I say, how much for a new knob?

New knobs cannot be obtained, I have to replace the whole SATNAV unit (manufactured by another non-Ford company) at > £1,000 despite only the "trim" being broken, and the SATNAV not being classed as trim. Clearly I am not about to do this.

Leaving aside the environmental profligacy of this - surely they should be able to replace bits which are categorised as separate to the SATNAV?

And if anyone has any good ideas on how to get another knob please message me!

And the guy refused to acknowledge that this was a bad thing from a customer perspective (what a knob etc) and tried to argue with my value attribution of circa £1 for the part (oooh a knob like that with chrome trim will be more expensive)

Bombaybunty Wed 12-Feb-14 14:16:55

Ring the head office in Eagle Way, Brentwood and let them know about this. They can be quite helpful.

RawShark Wed 12-Feb-14 14:18:27

THank you, it just makes me so cross that they would suggest scrapping an expensive unit like this

DandelionGilver Wed 12-Feb-14 14:22:54

Appalling service, absolutely. But I imagine that Ford buy the whole complete unit already manufactured and do not have any spares.

If you know what make of satnav it is, you may be able to go to the manufacturer or an authorised reseller.

Alternatively, can you carefully stick the knob back on?

Is this your satnav?

www.oemretrofits.co.uk/zenec-ze-nc3811d.shtm?gclid=CJicwIvkxrwCFeXKtAodh0YA4g

If it is here is the manufacturer's website. They may be able to help.

www.zenec.com/

RawShark Wed 12-Feb-14 14:33:50

Thanks Dandelion, as it happens that is not my SATNAV, they said it was made by BOSCH but there is no branding which makes me think that going to BOSCH would be a long shot, i.e. they would no be required to send me a spare for something they supply only to a third party company for resale.

I could understand if the screen had cracked or the panel - but a slide on knob, which is not fixed? Even if they get the unit manufactured it would be reasonable to have spares......however I accept , as my husband works in purchasing gizmos, that the easy sensible solution is not the one necessarily put in place (i.e. if Ford got a unit with a broken knob they would return the unit and get a new one, rather than just getting a new knob and saving everyone the postage)

I suggested to them I could stick the knob back on but I would want them to confirm this did not invalidate the remaining warranty on the SATNAV itself......

Interestingly apparently a steering wheel is trim too but that's OK because they never break according to FORD man.

eggsandwich Wed 12-Feb-14 14:36:11

We stopped buying their over priced shit customer service cars a few years ago after we brought a new focus and it had an annoying squeak every time we drove it, they couldn't solve the problem so then decided to tell us it was a design fault on the car so live with it!

tripecity Wed 12-Feb-14 14:42:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RawShark Wed 12-Feb-14 19:18:35

tripecity I will try that too. Thanks

kelper Wed 12-Feb-14 19:20:28

FixOrRepairDaily is what my mechanic dh says about fords! However he is currently letting me drive a focus so he clearly doesn't have too much of a problem!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now