Talk

Advanced search

To think using such a skinny model is irresponsible?

(158 Posts)
Awkwardsis Wed 12-Feb-14 07:32:20

yes Next, I'm looking at you
I came across is when I was browsing for some new jeans. Surely noone is actually that thin? And I've been anorexic! Whatever do shops still insist on using such skinny models? And no, this isn't 'thin shaming', I know we all come in different shapes and sizes. Not to add, those jeans are gopping.

ithaka Wed 12-Feb-14 07:37:15

Probably been photoshopped - which is a whole other issue.

WholeNutt Wed 12-Feb-14 07:38:25

Ynbu whilst there are women who are very slender it would be great if companies would also hire the UK average sized models too. At a size 12/14 how am I meant to know how those jeans might look? Guess, buy them, try them then feel like shit when they look crap!

JenBehavingBadly Wed 12-Feb-14 07:38:50

Some definite photoshopping there, but yes I agree. <sigh>

Joules68 Wed 12-Feb-14 07:50:41

Isn't a 14/16 uk average? And for most people, that's over weight

I'm 6 foot tall and size 14 and still need to lose some weight to be at a healthy bmi

MrsDavidBowie Wed 12-Feb-14 07:54:54

I wouldn't say she's really thin.

WooWooOwl Wed 12-Feb-14 07:54:56

Of course there are people that thin!

It's incredibly rude of you to say that surely no one is, because some people are.

Joules68 Wed 12-Feb-14 07:56:33

And exchange the word 'skinny' for 'lardy'... hmm

ArgyMargy Wed 12-Feb-14 07:58:26

YABU. These are not marketed at middle aged lardies - they are what they say they are!!

Honeysweet Wed 12-Feb-14 08:00:41

I read that films are now being enhanced or photoshopped or whatever it is called.I cant think of the right words exactly, but no way do I think of it as a good idea.

DowntonTrout Wed 12-Feb-14 08:12:30

I would say that the model is within the normal range of thinness. Plenty of people are that slim naturally.

However, presenting it as normal as in average, is wrong. most people are not that slim.

oliviaoctopus Wed 12-Feb-14 08:16:43

Im that slim, and always have been. I am sitting on mn right now eating a hot breaded chicken piece and pasta and sauce with loads of cheese and its only 8am! I can just eat what I want thats all.

JapaneseMargaret Wed 12-Feb-14 08:18:25

No clothes-flogger is going to put someone who doesn't have spectacular legs and is very slim into those jeans to try to sell them. They're just not. Put someone 'normal' sized in them, and they won't shift a pair.

pictish Wed 12-Feb-14 08:26:42

Gosh yes...those legs are very slender.
I'm not going to criticise them, because some fortunate folks are naturally slim, and it's not for me to have a pop at them. Even though I'm a fat curvy girl, I hate all those 'real women have curves' things you see. We're all different.

But bno - that phot does not give any sort of representation as to what those jeans would look like on my stumps legs.

I will say this...I would not consider the model as having 'fabulous' legs. They're not 'bad' in any way, and are obviously way better than mine....but I don't view legs like that as MY ideal.

oliviaoctopus Wed 12-Feb-14 08:29:55

I think some women can get very very nasty abuyt this. When I was younger at school I heard the works your going to snap, chicken legs, you will blow over etc. Never heard a horrible comment from a man though. All the people who said that to me have grown up very overweight so I think its must of been their problem not mine.

Joules68 Wed 12-Feb-14 08:30:05

What is normal though? In this society ' average' usually means 'overweight'... Next would be irresponsible if they promoted 'normal' weight models unless labelled plus size

Our thinking has become skewed over time. That model is quite possibly the correct weight for how the human frame is intended! It's just that seeing overweight humans has become the norm

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 12-Feb-14 08:34:03

It's so been photo shopped one leg is half the size of the other.

This is someone's body you are talking about though. Would you be so critical if she was overweight?

worldgonecrazy Wed 12-Feb-14 08:35:28

It's photoshopped - look at the length of the left thigh compared to the right one.

I found myself thinking "I am too fat" when looking at one of the glossy magazines in a waiting room - you know, the adverts for Gucci, Pucci, LV, etc. Then I caught myself (I'm a size 10-12) and started looking at the photoshopping and how weird the photoshoppers had made the women look. Now the first thing I do when I see an advert is look for the photoshopping and it has changed my view point.

Joules68 Wed 12-Feb-14 08:36:40

Looking at that link again I see you have the option to buy in extra long length ( I but all my jeans at next as they offer the best fit, 6 foot tall so extra long fits up to 36 inch leg length)

Maybe they are modelling the extra long pair?

manicinsomniac Wed 12-Feb-14 08:38:29

huh? She looks like a normal size 8 (size 10 if she's over 5'8" or so I'd say). Bottom end of normal weight, possibly slightly underweight.

Huge numbers of people are thinner than that. If you've been anorexic you must know that?!?! Weird thread.

Birdsgottafly Wed 12-Feb-14 08:39:38

This picture has been examined in the past.

It has been photoshopped and Next were criticised for it.

There isn't a need to photoshop pictures of models, so that they look thinner, so companies that do it should be named and heavily criticised.

You can protect your DD from most crappy media, but a Next catalogue is something that you should be able to have in your house, without any issues.

Stinklebell Wed 12-Feb-14 08:39:39

It's been photoshopped - badly

But, I'm not far off from the size of that model - I'm slim, always have been, I even have the thigh gap that everyone seems to be so outraged about. I don't starve myself, as a family we have a fairly healthy diet and an active lifestyle.

I'm beyond fed up with being told I'm too skinny, should go and eat a burger, I'm not a real woman, I've even told my husband must be gay as I have no womanly curves.

Trills Wed 12-Feb-14 08:41:35

They are hideous jeans

Samu2 Wed 12-Feb-14 08:41:36

She isn't that thin at all I don't think.

My legs are that thin thank you very much.

Samu2 Wed 12-Feb-14 08:43:47

The rest of me isn't than thin btw, but my legs are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now