Talk

Advanced search

To teach DS to mend clothes

(12 Posts)
QueenofLouisiana Tue 11-Feb-14 20:49:43

This morning (6.20 am- about to leave home for a before school sports session) I realise DS has destroyed the knee on his trousers. I spent half an hour mending the hole while he trains. I managed to buy new trousers tonight.
I collect him from Cubs tonight to find his t-shirt ripped from neck to shoulder (down the seam). He says someone grabbed the neck and pulled, but leader isn't sure.
I have told DS that the next cub badge he works towards will be sewing as he is going to learn to mend the tshirt. Clearly he thinks I am a horrid mother, I am fed up with mending/ replacing clothes! So AIBU?

Iwannalaylikethisforever Tue 11-Feb-14 21:26:54

Yadnbu
It's a very useful skill, my ds (12) is proud he mended the sleeve on his jumper. It looks hideous, but at least he tried.
The motivation was there, rather than thinking its ready for the bin, when it wasn't.

immortalwife Tue 11-Feb-14 21:35:13

No yanbu. I learnt at a youngish age too as I forever fell over and tore stuff up. And it was my dad who taught me to sew.

SomethingkindaOod Tue 11-Feb-14 21:41:23

YANBU. DS can replace buttons and use hemming web, not very well in all honesty, he's all thumbs with an iron even at 13! But he can do a passable job. Am currently teaching myself to darn and DD1 the same things as her brother.
They're all useful life skills.

SomethingkindaOod Tue 11-Feb-14 21:42:23

I am going to teach them to hem properly btw, hemming web is so much easier!!

ThreeBeeOneGee Tue 11-Feb-14 21:46:28

It is a useful skill. My grandmother taught me to take up hems, replace buttons, make minor alterations. I'm the only person in my family who knows how to do this. DS1 & DS2 have done a tiny bit of basic sewing at Cubs/Scouts, but not enough to sew a badge on so it looks presentable. DD would love to be able to sew, but her fine motor skills aren't really there yet. I'm pinning my hopes on DS3 as he is quite dextrous.

Felix90 Tue 11-Feb-14 21:46:34

Yes please teach him! My DP has no idea how to even do a simple running stitch and it drives me mad as I have to sew up and repair all of his things (he thinks I enjoy it as I studied textiles hmm). His Mum used to do it all for him and he was never taught, apparently. It's a royal pain in the arse.

QueenofLouisiana Tue 11-Feb-14 21:48:38

Thank you all- I am feeling a bit less like an evil cow now. I looked up the cub badge- home help activity badge is our challenge for half term!

SugarplumKate Tue 11-Feb-14 22:12:57

Yadnbu ! However, bet of British luck. I have a very intelligent but clumsy and no common sense DS aged almost 14. Whilst I persevere on the household tasks, washing etc, attempting to teach him to sew a badge on his scout uniform nearly finished me off!!

mousmous Tue 11-Feb-14 22:14:04

yanbu
it's a good skill to have.

LondonInHighHeeledBoots Tue 11-Feb-14 22:27:34

Everyone should know how to mend their own clothes, or they go to school with ripped knees. Tell him if he has a go that boys don't sew that all soldiers have to be able to mend their own kit.

acsec Tue 11-Feb-14 22:33:10

I am wanting DSS to do this badge too - he's always ripping/ tearing/ putting the knees out of his clothes, and I too am sick of mending them.

We can be evil cows together!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now