Talk

Advanced search

School/medical/medical knowledge people about??

(81 Posts)
Altinkum Tue 11-Feb-14 18:48:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Altinkum Tue 11-Feb-14 18:50:13

Sleepgrumpydopey Tue 11-Feb-14 18:55:57

Epipens all have the same dosage for kids (I think). The school nurse should go into school and do a training session with staff on how to give the epipen. They have packs and dummy pens they can use to do this. They do this in the private and public sector.

Ensure the care plan states the epipen should be taken on trips too.

I think contacting the Consultant was innapropriate as the should have gone o school nurse first.

Waitingforthephonetoring Tue 11-Feb-14 18:59:05

But surely it is in your child's best interests for the school to feel really confident about how to meet your child's medical needs and have all the relevant information? It is a scary thing knowing a child has such a life threatening condition and the required medical treatment is so invasive. My nephew has a similar condition and I am terrified every time I am is sole charge of him. Teachers just signing the care plan in a "formal" meeting doesn't always give them the confidence they need. Is there some reason you are so concerned about the school having additional information about this medical issue?

Altinkum Tue 11-Feb-14 19:03:30

Waitingforthephonetoring Tue 11-Feb-14 19:06:57

Who actually wrote the care plan and explained it at the meeting? My SIL attends the annual meeting at school, but the consultant writes the plan and a special nurse (not the school nurse) attends and explains it all to the staff.

Altinkum Tue 11-Feb-14 19:08:10

DoJo Tue 11-Feb-14 19:10:19

Is it a case of wanting to know, for example:

how much water to dissolve the prednisolone in?
how long between puffs of salbutamol?
how to recognise whether it's a mild/moderate reaction or spot the early signs of anaphylaxis?
how long to wait for the mild/moderate solutions to work before giving the epipen?

Because although it might sound very simple to you, there are actually quite a few variables there for someone who might be unused to dealing with this sort of situation should they actually need to act on your son's behalf. Ironing out every single piece of information so that there can be no confusion and no delay to your son receiving the care he needs will help the staff and your son, so I wouldn't object to them asking a professional for more details on how best to handle a situation which could be potentially life threatening.

If they are just being difficult, however, then screw 'em, but as someone who has allergies themselves and sometimes cannnot really discern how severe a reaction is or is going to get, it can be a bit of a nightmare ascertaining how much is too much intervention.

TheGruffalo2 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:11:21

But they are not asking for all your child's medical records, just clarification on the dosage of Cetirizine, Prednisolone and/or salbutamol.

Altinkum Tue 11-Feb-14 19:13:33

Altinkum Tue 11-Feb-14 19:17:24

Altinkum Tue 11-Feb-14 19:19:04

Nomama Tue 11-Feb-14 19:19:29

You are going to have to get used to it.

Your kid has a 'thing', an unusual 'thing' and adults put in charge of him are going to be nervous and want information and reassurance from a high up medical bod as well as his mum!

No school teacher, nanny, childminder should take you child without as much info as possible. That would make them irresponsible.

So you'd be best off using this as a learning experience and preparing yourself for next time.

Having said all of that, I can imagine how annoyed you are. It is a bit of a cheek, to go to a consultant without letting you know. I would have thought asking you would have been the minimum courtesy.

TheRealAmandaClarke Tue 11-Feb-14 19:22:04

It must be hard for you with your DS at school and having this issue.

Yes they can contact the consultant without permission.
But the paediatrician would be required to share only relevant information with them.
they can't obtain records without written permission through the hospital's legal team.
It sounds as though someone needs another training session.

TheRealAmandaClarke Tue 11-Feb-14 19:23:12

And it would have been better practice for them to ask you first.

quietlysuggests Tue 11-Feb-14 19:23:42

quietlysuggests Tue 11-Feb-14 19:23:56

JackNoneReacher Tue 11-Feb-14 19:24:34

I think the school can ask whatever they like. Presumably the consultant/hospital won't give out any details because they are confidential. Perhaps you should ring them and check this with them tomorrow.

I don't see that you are going to have to get used to it.

Since when did having an allergy mean you're not entitled to confidentiality?

Mushypeasandchipstogo Tue 11-Feb-14 19:25:13

Your consultant or GP is not allowed to discuss the medication given to your child without your written permission. I have had exactly the same issue today with my DS and the school nurse.

TheRealAmandaClarke Tue 11-Feb-14 19:29:19

Professional people are expected to share information when it is in the best interests of the child.
This is not a breach of confidentiality.
People can have their choice of what to share called into question though.
So, they can't just reveal anything without good, considered reasoning IYSWIM.

CrohnicallyFarting Tue 11-Feb-14 19:30:19

I'm presuming the 30g of prednisolone is a typo?!

OK, I work in a school and am a first aider so could conceivably be in this position. The 'standard' dose of salbutamol is 2 puffs, every single child that I am aware of who uses a puffer has 2 puffs. If a care plan came to me saying that 10 puffs were needed, I would query it just to be on the safe side. Consultants can and do make mistakes, they're only human. Perhaps the letter was dictated and the secretary misheard? Or it was a typo? And then the consultant was in a rush and signed the plan without reading it through thoroughly.

One time I had a hospital appointment, was weighed, I noticed that I had put weight on. When I saw the consultant, he was concerned that I had lost so much weight. Obviously I was dumbfounded, and when he read out the previous weight reading we realised that someone else's notes had been filed in my folder!

So I would always, always clarify any information I was given re doses of medication, particularly if it contradicted something I had already heard. Likewise, with the cetrizine, it's possible that the packet has a different dose recommended for a child your son's age, so they would need to query it.

They obviously didn't mean to go behind your back about it, else they wouldn't have mentioned it to your husband. I'm not entirely sure, but by doing e care plan you have given the school permission as they are only checking the info that's on there, they're not asking for anything new. So all they need to say is 'is this right' consultant says yes or no, and if the person phoning wasn't who they claimed to be they would be none the wiser (if that makes sense!) it's not like they're phoning up and asking the consultant to tell them everything they know about little Johnny's medical condition.

Mojang Tue 11-Feb-14 19:30:34

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that they contact the consultant if they have concerns/queries

It's not like they'll ask for or be given any info they don't already have They just want to make sure they get it right, which is understandable and a very good thing. You should be reassured not annoyed

Altinkum Tue 11-Feb-14 19:34:35

TheRealAmandaClarke Tue 11-Feb-14 19:39:25

Yes I would agree that 30g of prednisolone would have to a typo.
And the salbutamol dose is unusual.
so no, they don't have everything they need really.
Anyway. You have your answer. They are allowed to contact the doctor.
Hopefully this will get sorted out and everyone will be confident about what needs to happen.

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Tue 11-Feb-14 19:40:07

YANBU

I suspect you feel like the staff are making you feel that you don't know what is best for your child.

I am livid with my child's previous school for passing on medical information that wasn't even true!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now