Talk

Advanced search

To think that if you drive like an idiot you shouldn't be offended...

(7 Posts)
BerniceBroadside Tue 11-Feb-14 18:40:06

By being called an idiot?

Went to cross the road at a pelican crossing. Was with dc. Traffic on one side stationary. One idiot in a massive 4x4 with extra boot thing was parked across the crossing. Green man comes on & only way to cross was to squeeze through tiny gap between the cars. Someone in a wheelchair or with visual disabilities would not have been able to cross.

I mouthed at him 'idiot'. Not my finest moment, but he was commiting a traffic offence.

He opened the door to shout at me that if wasn't his fault as the traffic wasn't moving and he'd been there 10 minutes. Um, yes, it was your fault, you're not allowed to stop on a crossing.

And 5 mins later on the way back another dipstick had done the same thing. At least she had the grace to look very apologetic.

And don't get me started on the morons who think a zebra crossing is a decorative feature. If I'm half way across I have most definitely set foot on it.

And breathe.

WitchWay Tue 11-Feb-14 18:42:52

This drives me berserk angry Nothing to do with the slow traffic - you're supposed to wait till you can pull completely across. Same with junctions.

CrohnicallyFarting Tue 11-Feb-14 18:43:08

Oh, the crossing thing used to really annoy me. I used to bike along a cycle path to uni, and so many cars would do that! It was a pedestrian crossing so I had to dismount and walk my bike across and often there wouldn't be room for me and bike to fit through! I used to stand next to their window and just stare pointedly.

everlong Tue 11-Feb-14 18:51:16

He was an idiot a d he should have waited for the traffic to move before he moved forward.

But mouthing idiot to an unknown man feet away from you is a bit idiotic also.

You don't know if he's aggressive or not.

DoJo Tue 11-Feb-14 19:13:51

He was an idiot, but these things do happen sometimes and although he was in the wrong, you probably didn't help by mouthing insults at him and could have provoked a situation needlessly. On a good day, I would take my own advice, but on a bad day I would probably have gone for a mouthed expletive or possibly inappropriate hand gesture. grin

BerniceBroadside Tue 11-Feb-14 19:14:02

Take your point, ever long. Really though, people should be pulled up on idiotic behaviour and we shouldn't have to put up with it for fear of being smacked. Or worse.

Next time I'll photograph the idiot in situ and report him. Three points on his licence would be far more satisfying than calling him an idiot.

JCDenton Tue 11-Feb-14 19:52:26

This happens a lot on a very busy crossing near me. I have been known to slow clap when a car completely blocks the crossing blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now