To buy my DP'S socks? If I am, why?

(143 Posts)
hickorychicken Tue 11-Feb-14 15:03:41

hickorychicken Tue 11-Feb-14 15:03:55

Just that.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 11-Feb-14 15:05:07

if he needs socks why wouldnt you buy him some? strange question

Fairyneuf Tue 11-Feb-14 15:06:08

I buy my DH socks (then I can steal them grin)

CaptainHindsight Tue 11-Feb-14 15:08:30

You purchase socks shock

Thats all DH gets for Christmas and he gets enough to last him the year.

UABU
LTB

BillyBanter Tue 11-Feb-14 15:08:52

you are an awful person if you buy him socks, a boring gift-giver and an enemy to feminism.

AlpacaLypse Tue 11-Feb-14 15:08:57

Because you will (apparently) magically transmogrify into a 1950's housewife and/or infantalise your OH.

Well several people said it on MN - so it must be true! grin

CoffeeTea103 Tue 11-Feb-14 15:10:52

As a gift, then yabu.

Because he needs them, then yanbu.

Loopylouu Tue 11-Feb-14 15:12:04

I just bought my dh a few packs of socks and boxer shorts while at the supermarket today. And some underwear for me and ds too. Never really thought about it tbh.

hickorychicken Tue 11-Feb-14 15:12:05

Not as a gift, in general smile

Loopylouu Tue 11-Feb-14 15:13:34

I must add that I buy his boxers as I usually nick a pair to sleep in. I make sure I choose nice comfy ones!

natwebb79 Tue 11-Feb-14 15:14:58

I buy my DH's if I happen to be near a shop that sells them when he needs them. He, however, buys me tights if he's near a shop that sells them when I need them. Rocket science it ain't.

LegoStillSavesMyLife Tue 11-Feb-14 15:18:36

Why would you not buy him socks?

MinesAPintOfTea Tue 11-Feb-14 15:21:23

I buy DH socks because I do the supermarket shop which is where plain black socks are cheapest. I don't do all the chores, but it seems daft to make him make a special trip to buy socks.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 11-Feb-14 15:26:54

I buy a year long supply once a year and purge the old ones. I also wear them. I do not understand the problem.
NB. He buys all my clothes.

RainbowSpiral Tue 11-Feb-14 15:30:02

I buy my husbands socks, whilst he is home looking after the kids on a Saturday. This way I can tour the city centre shops buying things which are much more exciting than socks (for myself)

Davsmum Tue 11-Feb-14 15:31:24

Do you WANT to buy your DP's socks??
If you do, then that is what you do - You don't need approval from any of us or indeed, anyone.

Dunno why you would even ask.

BadgersRetreat Tue 11-Feb-14 15:39:32

I buy most of DH's clothes. I work in town near the shops and it gets me out of the office of a lunchtime.

saves us going to the mall on a Saturday <shudder>

ephemeralfairy Tue 11-Feb-14 15:50:15

DP will only wear very brightly coloured/patterned socks, and never ever a pair. If I see some good ones I will buy them (if not too expensive) and I always make an effort to get extra-snazzy ones for birthday/Christmas presents. I wear them on occasion too. It's the only sartorial effort he makes, so I feel it must be encouraged.

If however I bought him plain black socks they would never get worn, and I wouldn't do it anyway unless he specifically asked because he could get them himself when he goes to Tesco.

Starballbunny Tue 11-Feb-14 16:12:33

I buy all DH's clothes because he would only bother when his things were actually holes. He would own two sets of casual and two sets of work clothes max. and all his casual clothes would have wood stain and oil on them.

He would own nothing fit to be seen in at a weekend.

He's just not interested!

He delegates clothes to me, I delegate defrosting freezers and fixing the septic tank to him grin

MaryWestmacott Tue 11-Feb-14 16:36:08

I'd find it really odd if DH came home with some new tights for me because he'd kept note that I needed them, equally, it would seem odd if I did the same for him.

For those who buy them, did your DP/H ever ask you to take on this task or did you just randomly decide that it was a wife/girlfriends job to buy their socks? Surely before you were living together they managed to make sure they had socks and pants themselves? Or is it they went from their mum dressing them to their DP/W doing it with never actually chosing the socks they wear themselves?

Just seems a strange thing to do without being asked. If DH asked me to pick up some socks for him while I was out I would, but I have no idea if he needs any. I don't monitor his sock situation.

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Tue 11-Feb-14 16:39:40

mary I wonder about that too.. same with men who "can't" pack their suitcase. Of course he can. He did it before he met you surely?

Dh might ask me to buy some socks if I am going to the grocery store (as I would him), but I don't think to myself.. dh'socks are looking a bit holey, time to replace them.

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 11-Feb-14 16:42:22

YABU because it obviously bothers you enough to post on MN about it.

mary - I think I'd be the same, but I believe there are men out there who are as we speak kindly replenishing their wives' stocks of scratchy bright-red crotchless knickers out of the goodness of their hearts.

hickorychicken Tue 11-Feb-14 16:45:10

Its when i notice they are dwindling in numbers i buy more. I dont know where they go. I also buy his clothes.... im sure hes more than capable but he hates shopping and i love it grin
and he asks. If he needs or wants anything and im going say trafford centre or meadowhall he will ask me to find him it.
He wouldnt buy his own socks he would just moan that he cant find any forever.

MinesAPintOfTea Tue 11-Feb-14 16:46:18

Mary yes he's never bought himself many clothes, we started dating at 19 and it was another couple if years before the clothes dmil bought him when he lived at home wore out. Maybe I could stop but holey socks bother me more than him and our marriage isn't based on not doing things for each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now