Talk

Advanced search

To think its irresponsible and possibly dangerous to out the location of a child

(21 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Tue 11-Feb-14 14:46:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MiniSoksMakeHardWork Tue 11-Feb-14 16:37:06

Yanbu. In the same way I dislike the amount of posts saying they're searching for x and y, they were adopted z years ago and haven't seen their brothers/sisters etc, or the missing people ones. Unless you know that person they could be anyone looking for a person who has a good reason to be avoiding the seeker. Missing people are fine to share from local forces websites though as they will be genuine and up to date (an ex-colleague of mine has been missing 10 days now sad)

SummersDumbAsPie Tue 11-Feb-14 16:40:53

People actually do this?! shock

Altinkum Tue 11-Feb-14 16:41:03

Topseyt Tue 11-Feb-14 16:41:26

Agreed. I think anyone who does this is onto a rather sticky wicket.

I sometimes do wonder though, if some people bother to think at all before putting their thoughts on social media. Some do seem to think that they are just airing opinions amongst friends, and not seeming to realise that it can be read by others, and often is.

Altinkum Tue 11-Feb-14 16:42:43

moldingsunbeams Tue 11-Feb-14 17:00:17

moldingsunbeams Tue 11-Feb-14 17:01:18

SummersDumbAsPie Tue 11-Feb-14 17:03:14

Exactly. Imagine if this man hadn't turned out to be who he said he was and was an abusive exP. No one knows either way yet they will supply information blindly.

SarahAndFuck Tue 11-Feb-14 17:15:02

I agree OP, I've seen similar things and wondered about how safe it is or if the person wants to be found.

Even the fairly innocent looking ones that say someone had found a lost camera and does anyone know this family from the photo's on it so it can be returned make me wonder if it's the real reason they are looking.

I know people want to help and that's a lovely thing, but unless you personally know the person starting the search you can't know if their intentions are genuine or safe. And even then, you'd have to be very certain of the facts.

MoominsYonisAreScary Tue 11-Feb-14 17:32:31

I had this a couple of weeks ago, someone posted on the local fb page and I knew the people she was looking for. I have her dh as a fb friend so messaged him to tell him this person was looking for his wife.

In the end I had to accept them both as friends so they could contact each other, they were cousins and really happy to be back in contact.

Wouldn't do it without checking with the person though and certainly not with a child

moldingsunbeams Tue 11-Feb-14 17:54:41

BoneyBackJefferson Tue 11-Feb-14 18:01:44

I agree with your premise that anyone giving out information over facebook is unreasonable, but I think that setting up a page is actually quite sweet.

Imagine that your child who hasn't seen you in years starts looking for you and finds a facebook page dedicated to finding them.

moldingsunbeams Tue 11-Feb-14 18:10:50

pluCaChange Tue 11-Feb-14 18:57:53

Even if the "OP" of a FB page were "ok", there's no telling what members of the public might have been after, by "eavesdropping" on such a public discussion. For example, school/ workplace/ neighbourhood bullies could have a fine old time, jeering at/ gossiping about someone with a dysfunctional family member, a parent who walked out, etc.

deakymom Wed 12-Feb-14 00:08:58

how do you prove that it is a, your child your looking for b, your not an absolute monster and c, you have done everything you said you have re courts mediation etc?

for example i could set up a facebook account swipe a few photos off the net and start a campaign to "see my kids" because the "ex from hell" wont allow me i've done nothing wrong moved on with my life all sorts of BS and people will share it and they will look for the children (who aren't mine) im all for genuine cases but facebook is not fact its fake

CrohnicallyFarting Wed 12-Feb-14 07:14:00

I'm not entirely sure, but I think there has been at least one case where a mum and child had fled an abusive relationship, and he used a Facebook appeal to track them down.

There are other implications too- what about people in witness protection? There are many reasons why someone might not want to be found, and so I won't share any of these appeals unless they come directly from an official site (such as police, or missing persons uk or wherever).

GinOnTwoWheels Wed 12-Feb-14 09:54:25

I don't think she's particularly thin for a model, especially if you get past the bad photoshopping.

Surely by now, everyone knows that models are a very slim teenagers and most of the pictures are photoshopped, so are not in any way a picture of reality, or something that is generally acheiveable in older women? In any case, the models themselves probably don't look like that in real life.

Just concentrate on being a healthy weight for your size and ignore the unrealistic images? And if you want to get really upset about unrealistic models and pictures, have a look at this available in sizes 20-28 at M&S!

moldingsunbeams Wed 12-Feb-14 10:07:30

GinOnTwoWheels Wed 12-Feb-14 10:14:03

Yup, sorry. I thought I'd done a 'wrong thread' post, but clearly I need to go back to posting school smile.

moldingsunbeams Wed 12-Feb-14 10:14:53

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now