Talk

Advanced search

AIBU this young mother should have thought a little harder about what toys to take to the library?

(136 Posts)
Morgause Tue 11-Feb-14 13:17:41

Local studies department of the library all is quiet as people researching their families, local history or looking through old newspapers make quiet notes. The only sound is the hushed whispered request to the librarian. It's always like that there - a little oasis of peace and tranquillity in the middle of a big city.

Enter young mum with small child clad all in pink. Small child is very loud and questioning (but very cute). Eyebrows are raised all around. A shudder of disapproval meanders its way around the gathering. Mum explains loudly to small person that she needs to look at some things in the old newspapers. Small person not impressed (loudly). Neither are crusty researchers.

"I won't be very long", I've bought you some toys to play with. Sighs of relief all round.

Mum roots round in large bag and produces a xylophone. Small child accompanies herself to a rousing chorus of "Winkle, winkle ickle star" several times without once hitting the right note.

The sense of outrage was palpable. I left before the drum came out.

I found it quite amusing but I guess people who'd travelled a long way probably didn't. I can't help but think some books and dolls may have been a better choice than a xylophone.

CoffeeTea103 Tue 11-Feb-14 13:20:55

Yanbu, selfish inconsiderate woman. Can't stand people like this who give no thought to anyone else.

HSMMaCM Tue 11-Feb-14 13:23:01

Excellent. I want to do that grin.

No ... Not really ... I love the quiet in the library.

GandalfsOtherHat Tue 11-Feb-14 13:23:20

What does her age have to do with it? I had the most rude and inconsiderate 70+ Couple in front of me in the q at Sainsbury's a few months ago.

ReallyTired Tue 11-Feb-14 13:24:17

Libaries in towns have changed and they actually try and welcome people especially young children. Certainly our local library does not expect children to be silent. I do think that taking musical instruments is unreasonable and I am surprised that the libarian didn't say anything.

I feel that this would have been an occassion to have shown the mother the children's section of the libary. Prehaps the little girl could have been encouraged to have looked at some beautiful pop up book while her mother looked at newspapers.

Belchica Tue 11-Feb-14 13:24:22

YANBU about the xylophone. But I don't think the fact that she was young or wearing pink have any bearing on that.

pigletmania Tue 11-Feb-14 13:26:07

This is a wind up. Libraries are for everybody. How are you going to encourage children to read and enjoy books with an attitude like that!

Annoying to say the least but thanks for giving me a laugh smile

Morgause Tue 11-Feb-14 13:26:44

"Young" and "pink" are adjectives, not insults. I was trying to create a word picture.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Tue 11-Feb-14 13:26:44

I love the atmosphere in your post - you really captured it well smile

Books, a colouring book, a puzzle.... what on earth was the mum thinking?!

Morgause Tue 11-Feb-14 13:28:06

The local studies section is in a separate room away from the main area piglet, in some areas it's called the archives.

CrimsonDay Tue 11-Feb-14 13:30:15

I am sorry but I had to laugh grin

bellablot Tue 11-Feb-14 13:35:57

Hehe sounds very cute to me. And what has being 'clad in pink' got to do with it?

manchestermummy Tue 11-Feb-14 13:39:44

Would have said the same if the child in question was wearing a blue, green, orange and burgundy cord pinafore from Boden and the mother was 42?

Callani Tue 11-Feb-14 13:39:47

Oh honestly, this isn't about trying to encourage children to read - it's about bringing a child to the ARCHIVAL section of the library and then letting them disturb people trying to work.

Who blinking carts around a xylophone and a drum anyway?!

There are fantastic children's facilities at my local library that include singing along to stories and nursery rhymes as well as reading books, but that doesn't mean the whole area becomes a boundary-free zone.

manchestermummy Tue 11-Feb-14 13:40:03

Would you have said the same even.

manchestermummy Tue 11-Feb-14 13:40:51

A Local Studies library is not the same as an archive. Just saying.

Mim78 Tue 11-Feb-14 13:42:49

Very funny. In theory I agree it was not Best choice of toy but it would be fun to do this to see outraged looks!

pigletmania Tue 11-Feb-14 13:42:52

Morgause mabey she had no one to leave her dd with, what was she to do,leave her at home!

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Tue 11-Feb-14 13:43:07

Not the wisest of choices, but did anyone (not even the librarian) come over ans say 'hello lovely little girl, we don't play musical instruments in the library, here is a book for you to look at, there are lots more nice quiet books over here'. OR did everyone just stare and huff?

Tangentally the thought of taking two year old PFB into a library archive so that I could look at something makes my blood run cold. Not fun for everyone.

goldenlula Tue 11-Feb-14 13:43:30

Sorry, but reading it made me chuckle, but I can understand it would have been very annoying and yes she should have thought a little bit harder about appropriate toys. It just made me giggle blush

AtiaoftheJulii Tue 11-Feb-14 13:43:47

A xylophone is a hilariously terrible toy to take to the library, hard to imagine the thought process that led to that! Perhaps it's the only thing the kid will play with atm so it was xylophone or screaming?

AtiaoftheJulii Tue 11-Feb-14 13:44:53

A xylophone is a hilariously terrible toy to take to the library, hard to imagine the thought process that led to that! Perhaps it's the only thing the kid will play with atm so it was xylophone or screaming?

Morgause Tue 11-Feb-14 13:47:31

As I said before manchestermummy just adjectives to describe the scene I'de have used different adjectives if the circumsatnces were different.

Some archives have a local studies section in the same place. Just saying.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 11-Feb-14 13:48:17

This made me grin

Hey at least she thought to bring some toys and not let the child run riot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now