Talk

Advanced search

to think that DD shouldn't be watching telly at school every day?

(13 Posts)
Flowerface Tue 11-Feb-14 13:02:38

DD started school in January (Welsh system). She is just 4.

Every afternoon they watch telly - something like Lazy Town or Peppa Pig. I am not very happy about this. I am quite fierce about telly at home, and think that if they need some down-time, they should be read a story, or something. If they have to watch telly (which I don't really accept) then couldn't it be something educational, or in Welsh? It just seems like lazy teaching to me. AIBU?

HoratiaDrelincourt Tue 11-Feb-14 13:53:24

It might be "wet play" when it's bucketing too much to go out during breaks?

Swanhildapirouetting Tue 11-Feb-14 13:57:19

YANBU.

CorusKate Tue 11-Feb-14 13:58:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mim78 Tue 11-Feb-14 13:59:25

Yanbu. They can watch telly at home!

dashoflime Tue 11-Feb-14 14:01:31

It seems a bit odd. What do the school say about it?

Every day? For how long? Maybe they are breaking them in gently - as you say she only started in January and at 4 she is tiny, there must be a method in their madness surely.

It may be worth speaking to the teacher finding out exactly how much tv they are watching and ask her to explain it to you.

My DS started school a week after his 4th b/day and by mid afternoon he was pooped for the first term.

Nanny0gg Tue 11-Feb-14 14:05:52

I could understand if it was Alphabots or something, but no, I can't believe the Welsh curriculum is that lax!

Flowerface Tue 11-Feb-14 14:23:40

The school haven't said anything about it yet, because I haven't asked them... I am saving myself for parents' evening next week. Or should I make a separate appointment? I am new to this school lark (DD is my oldest) and my inclination is to march in and start making speeches, though the (tiny) reasonable part of my brain realises this might not be the best approach...

It's not wet play though - it's a regular every afternoon thing...

I understand that they need down time but I don't see why they can't have a story. Or at least something that links to their 'theme' and activities more generally. I am extra grumpy about it because she is going to be in this 'year' for 18 months, and I think they don't really know what to do with them for all that time. In which case, why make them start so flaming early. Arg!

MummyPig24 Tue 11-Feb-14 16:07:01

Our docs school put on a movie when it's wet play. As it hasn't stopped raining for about 5 months that's way too many movies IMO!

HoratiaDrelincourt Tue 11-Feb-14 16:51:48

I wonder if some of the children are having a sleep?

I agree that more educational tv would be more appropriate - eg Alphablocks rather than Peppa.

Lucitania77 Tue 11-Feb-14 17:16:15

My son's Reception class does this as well. I'm considering complaining, as last week it was Spongebob, which I don't think is appropriate for a four year old. He is being investigated for spectrum disorder and he can get really, really upset by older children's shows that mention harm, fighting, being hurt or death. I'm not saying we shy away from those issues, but we teach him about them without using the bloody TV! We also try and watch Hollywood movies with him so he can ask us any questions, because some frighten him, but the school thought it OK to show him some movies anyway. Even a U movie can include themes of death I need to chat with him about first.

They have it at playtime, so, on a rainy day (why did I need to buy a raincoat and wellies again?) they watch it twice, but they also have it at snacktime.

I really dislike it. The school's got poor SATs results with a large proportion of children leaving in Year 6 unable to read. I don't send him to school to be plonked in front of CBeebies!

Flowerface Wed 12-Feb-14 11:47:44

This school has excellent reports and reputation, which is why DH thinks there is a method in their madness. But I don't think there's any excuse, really. On the other hand, he is right that I only have DD's account of the situation to go on, so I will reserve judgement until they explain it at parents' evening.

I think some children could be sleeping - DD was a bit confused on this, I did ask her - but I still don't see why the others couldn't have a story.

Initially I thought that they could watch nature documentaries instead (DD loves them) but someone pointed out that animals are always either fighting, eating each other or having sex, so perhaps not...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now