Talk

Advanced search

To think I should give them something?

(27 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Tue 11-Feb-14 10:23:17

My dog has been behaving questionably for about a week because he's had a horrible infection...

The ridiculous weather we've been having has pushed a fence back behind some the compost heap, behind some trellis in my garden.

Sunday afternoon my dog was running around outside, I put DD down for a nap, came back, and he was gone!

I panicked, and me, DH and a friend who was here went running into the garden shouting his name, over both neighbours fences. Nothing.

The back is has a line if trellis with a gate, then behind that, a compost heap, shed and wheelbarrow etc..

It's where the foxes seem to congregate and stinks, and is like a mudslide.

I went round there, stepped up onto the heap and noticed the fence had pushed back at the corner and then heard him behind there.

Tried to push through to get him, no luck. DH tried and my friend and I shouted and shouted.

A boy came into the garden and called out that there was a dog there. My dog was panicking and bit me the other day (when he had a high fever) so I called out to the boy not to touch him but asked for the house number so I could come and get him.

His mother came into the garden and told me it and while DH is still trying to push through branches and brambles and the fence to get our dog, I drive to the next street.

I am Covered in mud and foxes shit and soaked due to the rain.

I knock on the door and start to pull my boots off and the owner says don't worry, she'll just mop, I protest that it's no problem but she clearly just wants the dog gone. I go into the garden and my dog has destroyed a football and is covering behind trees. I grab him, pick him up (because he's dirtier than me!) and try to pass him to DH but there's too many branches and brambles.

There is so side gate or anything so I have to carry my mud covered dog through
their pristine house and apologise profusely.

The don't look happy!

I was ridiculously busy yesterday so asked DH to pop round there with a new football and a bottle of wine or something.

Yesterday evening I asked him if he's done it, he said no, he doesn't need to, it's not a big deal, we never have to see them again.

I think he's wrong, he laughed it off and said they probably found it funny.

WWYD??

curiousgeorgie Tue 11-Feb-14 10:23:55

So many typos! Sorry!

Corkyandviolet Tue 11-Feb-14 10:28:18

I'd do what you suggested, send round a gift of some kind to say thanks and sorry. You may well see them again, and I doubt they found it that funny!

Angiefernackerpan Tue 11-Feb-14 10:29:12

I'd definitely replace the football and take something round, it'd be nice to thank them for helping you retrieve the dog.

meerschweinchen Tue 11-Feb-14 10:29:43

Taking them something would definitely be a nice gesture. If your dog escapes again, you will be seeing them again....!

whomadeyougod Tue 11-Feb-14 10:29:58

i would get the ball and wine for them , you might need to go back another time if the dog gets out again .

AlpacaLypse Tue 11-Feb-14 10:30:48

Your DH didn't see either the chaos your dog's escape attempt caused or how gracious the lady was. Definitely new football and bottle of wine!

AlpacaLypse Tue 11-Feb-14 10:32:32

Sorry - just seen the bit about 'they didn't look happy'. So not that gracious... still, until fence is sorted (and that won't be soon in the sort of weather) best to keep them onside.

PumpkinsMummy Tue 11-Feb-14 10:38:22

I would definitely pop round and do as you suggested. I have two dogs so am quite used to clean up after them but would be less than thrilled doing it for someone else, especially if it was stinky fox poo as the smell will have lingered (not to make you feel worse, sorry). In fairness I think the offer to come back when changed and help clean would have been a nice gesture, and may have taken any sting out of the tail for your neighbour.

You said she didn't look happy so I very much doubt she found it funny. I would go round myself, with the wine, football and apologise profusely again for not only the mess, but the delay in apologising. Also maybe some reassurance about the fence being repaired would be good!

Try not to worry too much though, these things happen. If it was my house I would have been more concerned about your poor dog than my floors!

LEMmingaround Tue 11-Feb-14 10:46:27

YANBU - how is your dog now, you had a thread the other day didn't you? poor thing - hope he feels better. Definately replace the football at least!

MidniteScribbler Tue 11-Feb-14 10:50:48

New football and bottle of wine is the absolute minimum I would do in the circumstances.

WaitMonkey Tue 11-Feb-14 10:52:59

You certainly need go replace the football.

ConferencePear Tue 11-Feb-14 10:56:28

If you made their house stink of fox shit I would say two bottles of wine at a minimum.

HeadfirstThroughTheTimeVortex Tue 11-Feb-14 10:57:04

I would, football and wine minimum, if money isn't an issue a nice bunch of flowers too! Good neighbourly relations are priceless.

BrianTheMole Tue 11-Feb-14 10:58:01

Yes I certainly would replace the football and give them a bottle of wine. Even if they are not gracious about it, I think its the right thing to do.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Tue 11-Feb-14 11:00:04

Football and flowers with a nice scent to cover up the stink!

MellowAutumn Tue 11-Feb-14 11:00:05

Can't see why they SHOULD look gracious and think your gesture would be spot on !

chandlery Tue 11-Feb-14 11:00:45

Fox poo smells for DAYS ! I'd definitely take something round yourself, don't delegate to DH!

Prettykitty111 Tue 11-Feb-14 11:00:59

Yes absolutely and I'd probably include chocolate too. My dog has escaped a few times. Luckily our neighbours can just hand him over the fence because hes easy to catch for them (he goes straight to them to say hello) but I would always get them something to say thank you. It's just good manners isn't it? Maybe your DP didn't realise what you had to do, going through their house mudy with a stinky dog but if you asked him to do it it should have been done?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 11-Feb-14 11:01:45

he laughed it off and said they probably found it funny.

I bet they didn't.

A new football and a bottle of wine would be a very nice thing to do, OP.

eurochick Tue 11-Feb-14 11:07:29

I think a new football and a bottle of wine sounds just right. You put them to some trouble (mopping etc) so it's only right that you properly thank them.

cingolimama Tue 11-Feb-14 11:22:52

OP, you are right and your DP is wrong. When in doubt, always choose the generous option.

CrazyOldCatLady Tue 11-Feb-14 11:27:49

Definitely bring them something. What's wrong with not looking happy when someone muddy and stinking is carrying a muddy dog through your house? It doesn't matter whether you have to see them again or not - you inconvenienced them and should make amends.

Topaz25 Tue 11-Feb-14 11:29:23

You live nearby, you may well have to see them again, definitely take the diplomatic approach!

kinkyfuckery Tue 11-Feb-14 11:33:47

Definitely replace the football and a gift as a thank you and apology.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now