Talk

Advanced search

to think Cameron might rethink his attitude towards "green issues" after the flooding in Conservative areas

(15 Posts)
HollyMiamiFLA Tue 11-Feb-14 09:55:03

The recent rain might be due to climate change. It might not.
But I wonder if Cameron might just take on board the fact that it could be and that if we keep polluting the environment with greenhouse gases, we might have a problem with flooding and unusual weather in the future.

So fracking etc might be an issue. Despite the economic potential. Alternative energy sources could be useful. Reducing our use of fossil fuels could become important.

Now that's it affected the Home Counties, he might take it seriously.

MoreBeta Tue 11-Feb-14 09:58:42

Cameron is quoted as saying that the recent storms were likely as a result of climate change but it seems the science is not quite there yet:

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-02-10/british-government-says-climate-change-likely-behind-its-wettest-winter-ever

"When Prime Minister David Cameron speculated in early January that climate change was probably playing a role in what already seemed an unusual string of winter storms, his government's own climate science agency, the Met Office, wasn't ready to back him up."

HollyMiamiFLA Tue 11-Feb-14 10:01:28

But it's ok to generate more CO2 through fracking because it's good for the economy.

Which it probably is. But flooding and climate change isn't good for the economy.

Triliteral Tue 11-Feb-14 10:04:18

Yes. YABU to think that Cameron might rethink his attitude. It might hurt the economy and the future only extends as far as the next general election.

gamerchick Tue 11-Feb-14 10:08:03

The problem is though.. we are just a little island. We could do everything right but the countrys that cover more of the planet can just go on their merry way, pumping god knows what into the air and pumping christ knows what into the sea.. the lungs of the planet are being cut down by massive amounts every day which common sense tells you isn't a good thing.

It's just a matter of time before the planet drowns our arses just to get rid of us and good on it.

HollyMiamiFLA Tue 11-Feb-14 10:09:48

True - but every little helps.

HollyMiamiFLA Tue 11-Feb-14 10:10:40

"It's just a matter of time before the planet drowns our arses just to get rid of us and good on it"

Are you a fan of Gaia? The planet adapts and gets rid of humans. Then carries on as normal without us.

gamerchick Tue 11-Feb-14 10:21:10

yes but is it enough?

never heard of it. i believe getting rid of the parasites that are humans would be the best thing the planet could do.

HollyMiamiFLA Tue 11-Feb-14 10:37:35

The Gaia theory is by James Lovelock.
Essentially he imagines the world as a living organism which adapts to situations to maintain stablilty.

If it has a problem with parasites, it will adapt and get rid of them. Then carry on as before.

Guess who the parasites are.

CaptainGrinch Tue 11-Feb-14 11:28:35

Gaia is how I look at it.

The world is in no danger, human being are. Much like the dinosaurs were when the environment changed, became much cooler & the Ice Age started.

When the Ice Age finishes, we'll be back at the temperatures the Dinosaurs had.

Won't matter how Green Dave was TBH as it's going to happen one way or the other.... One volcano farting will undo all of our CO2 savings anyway...

CaptainGrinch Tue 11-Feb-14 11:29:31

That doesn't mean I don't think we should look after our planet - just that anyone that thinks we can stop these changes is mad as a box of frogs....

Ubik1 Tue 11-Feb-14 11:30:04

Loved the TV interviews with Cameron in his high visibility jacket - relax everyone! Dave's here to sort it out, not like he's been holed up in cosy Westminster while people have been rescuing each other because no help has come.

And I see the environment agency is taking the flak rather than the Tory administration.

ageofgrandillusion Tue 11-Feb-14 11:38:57

The Gaia theory is by James Lovelock.
He also says in his book that the horse bolted a long time ago on climate change and that attempts to slow change down via tokenistic carbon cutting strategies will make bugger all difference now. Given the man's credentials and the esteem in which he is held by his many of his peers, im inclined to believe him.
It all boils down to one issue - population growth. The elephant in the room as far as politicians are concerned.

FuckingWankwings Tue 11-Feb-14 11:42:00

YABU, because he's a tosser.

grandillusion, I think you're spot on about population growth.

MoreBeta Tue 11-Feb-14 14:51:56

Its been flooded for the fortnight in my town and no one has batted an eye lid.

The town is virtually cut off as there is only one bridge open although supermarkets are still being restocked or we would be on a rat diet by now. We have plenty of those as they come up into the streets when it floods. grin

I used to live in Oxford which does flood moderately but quite amused at the sudden interest and panic when the Thames floods.

Politicians only care if the Thames floods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now