Talk

Advanced search

Parents in school evil undertone

(14 Posts)
littlewaltham Mon 10-Feb-14 22:17:21

I over heard a volunteer mum (goes in one day a week to support reading etc) engineering the kids' friendships by chastising a girl for ignoring her daughter and playing with another. WTF! I am not often at the school gates and assumed all the social joy/pain was a result of kids bundling along not adults poking their nose in. The kid that was told off was not mine but I know her parents well enough. should I tell the kid's parents or am I then also guilty of being a nause?

littlewaltham Mon 10-Feb-14 22:22:06

Ps the child in question cried

scaevola Mon 10-Feb-14 22:22:59

No, do not tell more parents.

If you think you should intervene, tell the teacher. This arises from her overstepping the boundaries of her role as a volunteer. That needs to be sorted out by the school.

Salmotrutta Mon 10-Feb-14 22:24:14

If you overheard this volunteer chastising a child and making her cry then have a quiet word with the teacher.

What ridiculous behaviour from this woman! shock

Mishmashfamily Mon 10-Feb-14 22:24:31

Why didn't you enquire how she was at the time if you know her well enough?

She probably already has told her parents.

Salmotrutta Mon 10-Feb-14 22:26:15

And what scaveola said!

She sounds like a she could be trouble if she's willing to go poking her nose into friendships like that - and possibly may not treat everything she hears or sees in confidence I'll bet

<cynical>

tiggytape Mon 10-Feb-14 22:27:42

Agree - you need to tell the class teacher about this.
She is abusing the trust placed in her as an adult at the school - one that the children will assume is to be respected and will treat them fairly.

If she was simply another parent it would be bad enough but she is using the authority the children will perceive she has to manipulate them and that's not on.

littlewaltham Mon 10-Feb-14 22:29:57

Do you know what that is what is eating at me I should have said something on behalf of the child at the time but it is not my child and I know the parents well enough to say hi but not visited their home or been out socially. But I also feel if I said something I am as guilty as the class helper.

mindthegap01 Mon 10-Feb-14 22:31:51

Have a quiet word with the teacher. I'm a primary school teacher and would be very unhappy about someone overstepping the mark like this. Anyone working in school must abide by certain codes of conduct, volunteers as well as staff. I'm sure she probably doesn't realise.

tiggytape Mon 10-Feb-14 22:33:43

littlewaltham - to be honest it is better dealt with by the school because they can have a follow up chat with the girl and check she is O.K. whereas you confronting the mum might have made her angry / the girl more upset.

And if you had confronted this mother direct, it risks her doing it more sneakily next time whereas, if the school know, they can make sure she doesn't get the chance

littlewaltham Mon 10-Feb-14 22:39:21

I feel v angry. Could have been mine and I would want to know. Too much hidden power to those that have access to the class room. Criminal checks are one thing but I would rather the kids in my family had exposure to manipulation the natural route.

Pregnantberry Mon 10-Feb-14 22:40:18

Report to the teacher!

Parent helpers shouldn't be involved with their own children's classes/play times unless there is a severe shortage of helpers/assistants IMO... There was another thread on here the other day about parent helpers 'spying' on their children's peers and making inappropriate comments/comparisons to the mums after school at the gates, and this is yet another reason.

littlewaltham Mon 10-Feb-14 22:41:03

On a balanced playing field siblings friends same age etc!

littlewaltham Mon 10-Feb-14 22:44:35

Funny you should say that PregBerry Class helpers have a canny way of knowing your own child' s stage ability etc and they are always verbose in their opinion and talk oddly at the child and you at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now