Talk

Advanced search

To think this will not work?

(12 Posts)
Edenviolet Mon 10-Feb-14 14:43:25

A trip out locally taking 24 2,3 and 4 year olds, 7 staff and 12 parents on the bus?

I really don't think that the bus driver would allow that many people on, especially small children who will have to stand?
Buses here are always quite busy and I really doubt that it will go smoothly. The bus drivers also tend to pull away before everyone is seated/holding on and often brake sharply sending people flying.

It has been arranged with the best intentions and possibly would work well with a smaller group but with that many people I think it will be very difficult.

WestieMamma Mon 10-Feb-14 15:22:28

Sounds fine to me. 5 people will have 2 children to deal with and the rest will only have 1.

YABU

emsyj Mon 10-Feb-14 15:25:24

It sounds like a logistical nightmare if they are aiming to keep the whole group together. I think having a group that big doing the same thing at the same time is always going to be difficult. It sounds like the reality of this sort of trip would be 3 parents and 5 kids on one bus, everyone else waits for the next one, 2 more parents and 4 more kids on the next one, wait for the others at the destination, kids getting restless etc. It wouldn't be my idea of a good time!

Edenviolet Mon 10-Feb-14 15:28:23

I avoid the buses with my own four dcs due to having a double buggy and the older two needing a seat. Often I am not allowed on as they are so busy.

I really can't see how it will work! To be fair, I don't think they realise it has been arranged by staff who drive and don't often use buses so they are unaware of just how busy it gets. I tried to mention it and said I'd make my own way with dd2 as can't risk her not having a seat on the bus.

CrohnicallyFarting Mon 10-Feb-14 15:50:58

There will be a full risk assessment carried out, don't worry. I would imagine that they will be split into smaller groups (maybe 8 children, 2 staff and 4 parents in each?) so if there isn't room for all the children on one bus, they know exactly who will get on first and who will wait.

Presumably they are also planning to make sure the children get seats on the bus (asking passengers if anyone kinds standing, and wait for the next one if no seats available), adults will stand if necessary, and for one adult to wait one foot on pavement, one on bus until the children are seated so the driver can't pull off!

Having said that, I know your DD has health problems and if you feel the risk is too great, arrange to meet them there. I know parents at our school have done this with children with SEN that meant they were unable to safely walk 15 minutes to a local event.

Edenviolet Mon 10-Feb-14 16:05:28

Dd has told me (although I'm not sure how much I can rely on information from a four year old!) that they told them all today they will have to stand up but hold on tight when on the bus!

I did mention that I felt it was safer for me to just meet them there but they were saying about the ratios if I do that but I had made it clear whether I went on the bus or made my own way that I was there just for dd so my presence or not makes no difference to their ratios.

TheGreatHunt Mon 10-Feb-14 16:08:05

I wouldn't like that. Especially not with two year olds! Older ones maybe but anyone with a 2 year old will know that they won't "hold tight" - their hands are too little, they're too little. Especially if the bus driver is a bit hard on the brakes. Ridiculous idea.

CrohnicallyFarting Mon 10-Feb-14 16:13:17

As far as I know, the ratio for 3-4 year olds on a trip is one adult to 2 children. So even with 1 less parent they are still well within ratio. Besides, that's not your problem- it's theirs. You need to do what you need to do to ensure your DD is safe.

Fantissue Mon 10-Feb-14 19:24:37

How lovely for all the other passengers on the bus.

nancydrew Mon 10-Feb-14 19:36:08

When my DD was in reception, teachers and parents took the class (of approx 30) to the town centre for a trip. The teacher telephoned the bus company in advance and they were fully aware of the trip and put on an extra bus. It was not for exclusive use of the school, other passengers were on there too. We all got seats. I know the children were older but it worked, hope even at that age they would have the presence of mind to hold on!

Imnotmadeofeyes Mon 10-Feb-14 19:48:11

I've seen this a few times on the very busy bus route I take to work (madness at rush hour if you ask me, even the tail end grin) and the bus driver and passengers have all been fine about squeezing over and taking longer over the stops to let them all get on and off.

Ringing the bus company is a great idea, they can't stop them but it might mean they can plan a little.

Where are they going? I'm pretty sure crowd control will be the hard work bit, so if you're ok with that then I would try not to worry too much about the transport.

Littleen Mon 10-Feb-14 21:24:23

Will need a lot of babyseats in that bus! As long as they get safe seats, I don't see the issue smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now