Talk

Advanced search

Can I take tablets after I have been drinking

(14 Posts)
HadABadDay2014 Fri 07-Feb-14 23:10:39

I am having a major flare up on my knee, waiting for MRI and the consultant thinks I will need an operation.

I know I have been stupid in having alchol but I have been out tonight and had 4 pints of magners.

I am in a lot of pain and struggling to walk, I am on 400mg of iburfen ( not sure of the spelling)

Would it be foolish to take the dose. If so what else can I do.

WitchWay Fri 07-Feb-14 23:11:46

It will be fine but swallow it with milk - less likely to give you indigestion after the alcohol

Witch (GP in spare time)

bolak Sat 08-Feb-14 02:53:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

maddy68 Sat 08-Feb-14 08:55:53

It's fine

Hoppinggreen Sat 08-Feb-14 09:04:10

I regularly take Ibruprofen after a night put to stave off potential headache in the morning.
I used to work with junior doctors and this along with stomach acid lowering drugs was part of their routine when getting in from a night f drinking!!
If they were still suffering badly in the morning ( and had to work) they would give each other IV's to rehydrate though so this might not be the best advice ever !

ChubbyFeets Sat 08-Feb-14 09:25:15

Hopping, that sounds terrible. I wouldn't want to be treated by doctors so irresponsible that they'd go drinking the night before a shift. I can't believe any hospital would allow this.

HadABadDay2014 Sat 08-Feb-14 09:28:44

Well I did and I woke up alive.

Hopping that's awful

Oldraver Sat 08-Feb-14 09:49:35

Yes its fine, though I wouldn't routinely take Ibuprofen on an empty stomach

Spockster Sat 08-Feb-14 10:18:10

Why can't doctors drink on a night out ?

ChubbyFeets Sat 08-Feb-14 10:20:04

They can drink, but isn't it irresponsible if they have a shift the next morning? Would you like to be treated by a hung over doctor?!

mrsjay Sat 08-Feb-14 10:20:19

ibuprofen taken after drinking is great for a hangover ,

Spockster Sat 08-Feb-14 23:11:47

Would you want to treated by a hungover nurse? Taught by a hungover teacher ? Driven by a hungover bus driver? Served by a hungover shop assistant? Shall we just make being hungover a criminal offence?
Seriously, a dr can do the job whilst bring slightly hungover, same as anyone else.

HadABadDay2014 Sat 08-Feb-14 23:19:19

A hung over doctor can make serious mistakes.

Ledkr Sat 08-Feb-14 23:25:02

I was a nurse and I quite often had an Iv on a Sunday morning after a night out! And anti sickness jabs if we needed them.

I'm old and sensible now though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now