Talk

Advanced search

Catching them young- AIBU to find this Birdseye advert horrendously sexist?

(63 Posts)
BOFtastic Fri 07-Feb-14 21:50:25

I just caught this for the first time now- Birdeye's latest advert seems to be all about coaching girls to "win their man" with food. Apart from the usual guff at the end about discerning mums, which always irritates me anyway, aren't the kids portrayed a bit young for all this malarkey?

It leaves a rather unpleasant taste in the mouth. Much like the product, I'd imagine.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 07-Feb-14 21:54:36

Oof what a load of sexist crap! I note it's "mum" who's doing dinner as well. What is wrong with the people who came up with that? Is it 1952?

Ledaire Fri 07-Feb-14 21:57:23

Oh, but the way to a man's heart is through his stomach...

Yy. It's awful.

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Feb-14 22:00:48

YANBU

It's the same with the one before it where a little girl comes home from school and asks if her friend can stay for tea. The Mum's horrified because apparently the little girl is really fussy.

Why is it always the Mum cooking the tea?

I like the Branston pickle advert where the father apologises to his son because he's rubbish at building model rockets/making birthday cakes etc. Then he makes him a really nice sandwich instead grin

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Feb-14 22:04:09

Branston pickle advert

2tiredtocare Fri 07-Feb-14 22:05:35

And the schoolgirl appears to have a polar bear pimp

BOFtastic Fri 07-Feb-14 22:07:20

It's like they are making the little girl a "mum-in-training", urgh. But not a hygiene-certified chef, mind- quite what the implication that she takes home some sweaty part-defrosted drumsticks home from her locker says about Birdseye cuisine, I shudder to think.

deakymom Fri 07-Feb-14 22:09:27

i just shudder over the whole creepy polar bear in the freezer talking to me thing feels like acid trip advertising to me

BOFtastic Fri 07-Feb-14 22:12:14

And why encourage girls who can't be older than, what, year 7, to chase boys anyway?

Yama Fri 07-Feb-14 22:18:44

The most enforced rule in my house is to mute the adverts. The kids have a Pavlovian response to adverts - dive on the remote and MUTE!

It really does diminish the message.

I know that I should fight the message makers but in the meantime I diminish the message.

BOFtastic Fri 07-Feb-14 23:05:20

I don't really have the knack for starting threads, but I have to say that I'm surprised this one has died...

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Feb-14 23:13:37

Did you look at the Branston pickle add BOF?

Ahh g'wan it's nice grin

<< Shamelessly bumping thread >>

AdoraBell Fri 07-Feb-14 23:21:03

DD1 has just watched. She walked away shaking her head saying "idiot" - she means whoever came up with the idea. And she says she'll cook toad's flesh marinated in poison for him.

BOFtastic Fri 07-Feb-14 23:21:13

Not yet, give me a sec...

BOFtastic Fri 07-Feb-14 23:23:47

Aw, I love that grin. How have I never seen it before?

100% better than bloody Birdseye.

caruthers Fri 07-Feb-14 23:24:54

I can't see a problem with it at all.

The little girl is trying to impress a boy just the same way a boy would impress a girl.

And god forbid a mother cooks? What's wrong with that?

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Feb-14 23:28:14

I love it too grin

It's a shame that it stood out to me because it's actually the Dad doing things for his child...and he has what I assume is a wife standing next to him. So it's not as though they're making him out to be a single parent.

There's nothing wrong with a mother cooking, caruthers.

It's just that it always seems to be the mother cooking...especially with the Birdseye ads.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 07-Feb-14 23:28:52

The Branston one is great. And, I REALLY want that lunch box.

caruthers Fri 07-Feb-14 23:30:59

I think it's quite sweet but I suppose if people want to nitpick then they'll nitpick.

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Feb-14 23:33:50

Does anyone old gimmers like me remember Ben and Mary from the Birdseye beef burger ads in the 70s?

She was all love sick and besotted by him but all he was interesting in was her burgers shock grin

caruthers Fri 07-Feb-14 23:37:29

Here you are Worra smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBTN9EMeHzY

caruthers Fri 07-Feb-14 23:38:31

And here in Paris on a school trip.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGIWxj1quoE

Ledaire Fri 07-Feb-14 23:42:12

At least three separate examples of blatant sexism in a short television ad is "nit-picking"?

Okay...

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Feb-14 23:42:46

Thank you grin

Frogggggs leggggs???

caruthers Fri 07-Feb-14 23:47:00

Ledaire write to the makers or broadcasters.

3 examples of sexism really?

It's an advert where mum whips up a bit of dinner sheesh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now