Talk

Advanced search

To think BabyCentre members are a bunch of wet sponges?

(11 Posts)
ATotallyOriginalUserName Fri 07-Feb-14 17:24:49

I like this website, opinions are given and it isn't the whole "oh you'll be okay" generic response as with netmums, bc ect.. Drives me insane, as soon as a poster gets a comment that goes against what they want to hear they get all upset and shit their pants having a go at you for putting your personal opinion...

But maybe i'm just a soul-less shitbag... Does it annoy you?

ForgettableTampon Fri 07-Feb-14 17:27:07

Look

Horses for courses

Don't go dragging grievances around the internet

MNHQ rightly don't like other-forum-slagging

[folds arms]

gordyslovesheep Fri 07-Feb-14 17:28:08

I don't think it's on to slag off a whole website* on a different website - if you have an issue with them raise it there

*NB except Nethuns, obviously grin

TrampledUnderfoot Fri 07-Feb-14 17:30:41

Plenty of room on the internet for 1000s of different forums.

Don't like one, don't post on it.

Pancakeflipping Fri 07-Feb-14 17:32:37

Not seen it but think your generalisation is stinky mean. If you don't like it say so on there or don't look at it.

Stop stirring up.

I am sure there's lovely people on there and not so lovely people. Bit like this place though beginning to think the lovely people on here headed for the exit signs

waterlego Fri 07-Feb-14 17:33:16

I like the fact that MN posters are free to give their opinions, and that many are quite direct! It's refreshing compared to many other forums I've been on. I've read some truly tragic/scary/bonkers/hilarious things on here over the years, but to me, that seems a more realistic reflection of real life than I've found on NM and BC, for example.

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Fri 07-Feb-14 17:39:01

Never been on it.

I think there are a lot of people who like that sort of thing. Validation, tea and sympathy, a virtual there there. They don't want solutions, or to be challenged in any way, they just want to be comforted regardless the reality of the situation so it absolutely meets that need.

ATotallyOriginalUserName Fri 07-Feb-14 17:46:51

Maybe I've worded it a bit harshly...

I've been on BC since day one.
Initially I liked it until about 5 months in, then people started getting quite ratty.
If you disagree over anything, you were flamed and you were the one who had comments deleted/reported over those actually flaming you as their defending the OP... Bit of an unfair system.

I mean I must have seen about 30 whooping cough/flu jab forums thats ended with women angrily declaring they're leaving, and others threatening to press the oh so evil report button on someone that doesn't follow the trend...

I've preferred MN for a while... I like the brutality of it at times, and others the sheer "you know you'll get the right answer" as a rule...

And may I ask, what is this hate for just NM?? Did they steal your name nearly or what?

phantomnamechanger Fri 07-Feb-14 17:51:06

the american BC was the first internet forum I used, it saved my sanity and I will forever remember it fondly because of the wonderful support I received on a thread for bereaved parents. I came across it by accident when trying to research the condition my DD was dx with in the womb - we later lost her. The condition was so rare the consultant in London had never known a case in the UK. It was so rare there were no stats on the probabilities of it happening, they could only guess at less than 1 in a million. It doesn't even have a proper name - it just goes by a description of what is wrong with a specific chromosome. By googling the name, to try to find a better understanding of causes and probabilities, I found on BC one other parent who had been through what we had, and then many more who had endured similar loses due to foetal abnormality.

But that's probably too heavy for this thread, sorry smile - I have not been there since about 6 months after our loss as I decided to move on and that other peoples grief was becoming too much for me. I don't know, OP, whether they are wet sponges or not. But I am glad they were there for me.

ATotallyOriginalUserName Fri 07-Feb-14 18:01:08

PNC i'm sorry to hear that about your baby. Most sites are good for advice in that respect, when people need that. I'm referring more as too the birth boards though as a rule, obviously sensitive forums not so.

piratecat Fri 07-Feb-14 18:05:42

yabu, it was my absolute saviour years back when i became pg, and had various health issues. helped me through loss too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now