Talk

Advanced search

to ask if false negatives really happen?

(47 Posts)
PinkHardHat Fri 07-Feb-14 13:31:47

My periods restarted four months ago after having toddler dd. The second one was about 28 days after the first, the third 30 days later and the fourth 30 days later - so fairly regular it seemed. However now it's been about 44 days since the last one. I did a test last week and it was negative so I assumed I wasn't pregnant and forgot about it. My friend is TTC and she asked about us trying for more this morning so I mentioned I'd done a test last week. She asked if my period had arrived and when I said it hadn't she said she doesn't know how I've waited to test again as it's likely to be a false negative. I assumed my periods are just still a bit messed up and tbh, didn't really believe false negatives occur if the test is done when period is late. Have you had a false negative?

ilovepowerhoop Fri 07-Feb-14 13:34:16

you could get a false negative if the hormones the test was detecting werent at a sufficient level for the test to detect them. I would take another test tbh

ThePearShapedToad Fri 07-Feb-14 13:35:18

POAS! grin (again)

steff13 Fri 07-Feb-14 13:35:24

Yes, my SIL has three kids and never tested postive on a home test, or in fact on the urine test in the doctor's office. She had to have a blood test each time.

anklebitersmum Fri 07-Feb-14 13:38:24

I tested negative for a full 6 weeks with biter 3. I knew I was pregnant but the test (even the pricey ones) still read negative.

Give it a week and try again..the local chemist can usually test for a few quid (cheaper than a home test too).

Dawndonnaagain Fri 07-Feb-14 13:42:27

My false negative was 29 a couple of weeks ago. For some reason he just wouldn't show. My GP was fascinated by this and the last test we did was the day before I had him, at 38 weeks! Test still said negative.
Similar thing when I had twins who are now 17. Yet ds2 was a positive one day after period was due.

Faverolles Fri 07-Feb-14 13:44:03

I have two false negatives, they are 13 and 11.
Tested several times, not one positive.
The dr said to assume I was pg and see what happened at the 12 week scan.

WooWooOwl Fri 07-Feb-14 13:45:32

From my experience, false negatives do happen, false positives never happen.

dementedmumof6 Fri 07-Feb-14 13:47:39

I had a number of false negatives with my first, including the ones done at the doctors, finally had a positive results while 6mths pregnant and he is now 16

cashmiriana Fri 07-Feb-14 13:48:27

With DD2 I didn't get a positive until about day 40 something of a 29 day cycle. I think it was day 43. I'd started testing every 3 days or so from day 29. I think it was the 4th or 5th test that was positive, and then only the faintest little line. I didn't think the pregnancy was going to stick tbh. DD2 is an awkward madam though. She's never been on time for anything.

PinkHardHat Fri 07-Feb-14 13:48:54

This was only a supermarket test but they worked with the other two so assumed they would this time too. Have felt bloated and achey like period would start but it hasn't, but I guess they could be pregnancy signs too confused

WaitMonkey Fri 07-Feb-14 13:52:59

Test again. Test again. grin

thegreylady Fri 07-Feb-14 13:55:01

You can get a false negative but not a false positive.

Stinklebell Fri 07-Feb-14 13:55:25

I had a couple of false negatives when first pregnant with my now 12 year old

PinkHardHat Fri 07-Feb-14 13:55:46

Ooh I want to but have a poorly sleeping toddler on my lap! Will get a test on way back from school run. Nervous! shock

underachievingmum Fri 07-Feb-14 13:56:02

Yep - ds1 now 3! Not ttc at the time so was a bit of a shock when it was positive a week later!!

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Fri 07-Feb-14 13:57:22

yup. I had a false negative with my second.

sebsmummy1 Fri 07-Feb-14 14:00:41

Oh yes, a false negative when I tested too early with my son at around 8 dpo. Test again woman !!!! grin

Calloh Fri 07-Feb-14 14:00:43

I had seven false negatives over a two weeks when my period was officially already late. DD is now 4.

In the end it was the Boots cheapest one which came out with a positive result. Part of me was certain I was pregnant and part of me thought I was being deranged by optimism.

AmberLeaf Fri 07-Feb-14 14:00:57

My friend had false negatives with one of her pregnancies, she even had a blood test at the doctors that was negative! It took repeated visits and eventually the doctor being able to feel the baby at about 5 months pregnant for her to be believed.

mattsmadmum Fri 07-Feb-14 16:30:15

Yes it does happen
have a year 6 to prove it!

Hassled Fri 07-Feb-14 16:32:36

I had a false negative with DC1.

But in your case your hormones are probably still all over the place and after only 4 months you probably haven't settled down into a regular cycle yet. I take it you've been using birth control? If so, I wouldn't panic.

Joysmum Fri 07-Feb-14 16:34:05

I used to do pregnancy testing as part of a previous job. Yes you can get false negatives (if not enough pregnancy hormone is there to be detected) but not false positives.

Wait a but before retesting and test in the first wee of the day.

AmelieRose Fri 07-Feb-14 16:34:17

Yes. I had 3 or 4 false negatives before a positive. I am currently 21 weeks pregnant. Test again!

Joysmum Fri 07-Feb-14 16:34:18

*bit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now