Talk

Advanced search

To put my bins out tonight on the pavement at the end of my property instead of on my drive meaning the newish neighbours can't.

(21 Posts)
b584 Thu 06-Feb-14 18:44:25

I usually put my large bin and recycling boxes at the end of my drive for collection however I am expecting visitors later so do not want to block my drive off, I do not own a car myself so this isn't normally a problem.

I had new neighbours move in just before xmas and they have been putting their bins on my side of the fence on the pavement so that they do not have to move them in the morning when they go out.

I have lived here for 15 years and the previous neighbours have never done this so me doing it on the odd occasion was never an issue but now I feel like I'm treading on someone elses toes even though I know I'm not.

To be clearer I have a grassy/flowery area next to the drive with a fence put up by the previous neighbours dividing our properties, it is at the end of this that they put their bins but I need to tonight.

RunRunRuby Thu 06-Feb-14 18:52:27

I don't fully understand the layout, but are they in front of your property, to the side of your drive entrance? So your drive is not the full width of your property. If so, I think that's perfectly fair. Really they shouldn't be putting their bins in front of your property, they should put them in front of theirs and move them. Are they blocking the pavement for pedestrians though?

FunkyBoldRibena Thu 06-Feb-14 18:54:44

Put your bins where you want to...if they put them in front of your house again, go out and move them and put yours in front of your house.

ShadowFall Thu 06-Feb-14 18:55:33

I'm not quite understanding the layout either.

If the new neighbours put their bins in front of your property where they normally do, are they blocking access to your drive? Is that the problem tonight?

ShadowFall Thu 06-Feb-14 18:56:52

Although, whether the neighbours' bins are blocking access to your drive or not, I think you're justified in moving them away from in front of your property if they're in your way.

KayleeFrye Thu 06-Feb-14 19:00:47

If I understand correctly, you are saying that at the front of your property, between your drive and that of your neighbours but immediately in front of your own house, is just enough space for one set of bins (which I will call the "safe" space). Normally you put your own bins so as to block your drive as you don't have a car, and don't object to your neighbours putting their bins in the "safe" space so that they don't block their own drive. However, tonight you need access to your own drive so will occupy the "safe" space yourself with your bins.

If that's correct then: YANBU. It's fine.

b584 Thu 06-Feb-14 19:10:17

They do not block my drive with their bins as I normally do that myself as my drive is mostly unused unless we have visitors,

As I am having visitors tonight I need to keep access to the drive free so I need to put them just in front of the grass/flowery area which is where the neighbours have been putting their bins since they moved in,

It is on my side of the fence and yes it does block the pavement a little so pedestrians have to walk around but I only do it on very rare occasions ( maybe 10 times on bin night in 15 years).

I don't want to cause bad feeling with them but I don't see why I should have to go out in the rain to move my bins when my visitors arrive and leave because they have their bins in my only other avalible space.

I don't know these new neighbours, never see them so couldn't knock and say anything really.

SuburbanRhonda Thu 06-Feb-14 19:18:55

Am I understanding this right, OP?

You don't want to move your bins to let your visitors in, then move them back after they've gone?

Is this really worth an AIBU thread?

Bloodyteenagers Thu 06-Feb-14 19:20:10

If it is your property, put the bins there.
If they come knocking and moaning about it, ask them what their problem is with you putting rubbish on your own property.

b584 Thu 06-Feb-14 19:20:56

Yes you have it right and yes it is because I feel like I am being unreasonable but I don't really think I am,

Is that ok with you?

SuburbanRhonda Thu 06-Feb-14 19:25:36

Well, OP, I'm not your neighbour, so of course it's all right with me wink

ScrabbleBabble Thu 06-Feb-14 19:29:17

Yanbu op, just do it

cozietoesie Thu 06-Feb-14 19:29:23

.......I don't know these new neighbours, never see them so couldn't knock and say anything really.........

So you'd rather maybe start some sort of feud about something they may not realize? Go and have a word with them for Goodness Sake.

MartinSheensTeeth Thu 06-Feb-14 19:31:05

I don't get this - have your neighbours been blocking/using your drive for their bins, which isn't an issue usually as you don't use your drive but today as you will have the audacity to use your own drive, they might have to use their own drive for their own bins - is that right?

Spaulding Thu 06-Feb-14 19:33:32

Are your visitors staying all night? If not, and I might be pointing out the obvious but I thought I'd comment anyway, but why don't you put the bins out after they've left tonight?

cozietoesie Thu 06-Feb-14 19:41:42

The neighbours might well put their bins out before the visitors leave. Most/many people put their bins out an hour or two after darkness falls and not in the early hours.

cozietoesie Thu 06-Feb-14 19:43:09

But I take your point.

All this over some ruddy bins.

Pimpf Thu 06-Feb-14 19:46:42

Just move the bins!

b584 Thu 06-Feb-14 19:51:32

I have put them out now, only one car on next doors drive and no bins so still someone to return home. ( They can fit 2 cars as previous neighbours tarmacked over their grass bit so 2 cars would fit)

I don't want to cause a feud and maybe they didn't realise but you only have to look around the close of about 60 houses to see that everyone puts their bins at the end of their own property, Don't think it's my responsibility to explain that to them.

cozietoesie Thu 06-Feb-14 20:01:40

It may or may not be your responsibility but it would be the neighbourly thing to explain your actions perhaps. These matters are rarely as confontational as you seem to fear.

RunRunRuby Fri 07-Feb-14 19:01:54

I'd be rather hmm if a neighbour came round to tell me where they were putting the bins!

OP, as it's in front if your property you have every right to put your bins there and they were a bit cheeky to put theirs there without asking you. As long as you're not fully blocking the pavement that's fine.

I don't see why you should have to go out to put your bins out after your guest has left when you could put them out earlier, in front of your own property. It's nice that you let the neighbours put their bins there but it's not their absolute right.

Anyway, I hope it didn't all end up in a bin war! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now