Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to wonder if you conceived while you were on your period?

(14 Posts)
annauk1 Thu 06-Feb-14 18:33:41

I know that it's unlikely that a woman can concieve while she's on her period, but i've heard that it's not an impossible thing to happen.

The thing is, i'm more or less constantly bleeding at the moment with about 3 hours respite per day (unexplained Mennoraghia...I'm having scans to determine what's wrong).

When i'm not bleeding, in the three or so hours respite, DP have been shagging like rabbits, in the hope to miraculously ttc. Can anyone give me hope and tell me that they got pregnant whilst on their cycle?

NorthernLurker Thu 06-Feb-14 18:36:20

No personal experience but if this is going to happen it would be to somebody like you whose body is giving out confused signals and so could be ovulating. You can't know when you ovulate so if you are going ttc you need to do what you're doing. Hope it gets sorted with a BFP for you soon.

NorthernLurker Thu 06-Feb-14 18:39:08

The NHS says you can!

tiredbutstillsmiling Thu 06-Feb-14 18:40:39

From June to Sept last year I bled almost continually & DH & I were desperate to conceive - especially as we had lost a baby in February.

I had scans & it was discovered that hormone levels kept fluctuating, making my body believe I was ovulating when I wasn't, so although we were DTD crazily on my bleed-free days I wouldn't have fallen pg. I was given clomid, I'm now 15 weeks pregnant.

I hope they discover the problem soon, I know how horrendous the wait is.

paperdress Thu 06-Feb-14 18:50:29

i conceived whilst mid- cycle spotting related to PCOS hormone imbalance. obviously that is different to a period. so in my case, as long as i was ovulating, it proved possible to conceive whist experiencing light bleeding.
wishing you all the best

Plateofcrumbs Thu 06-Feb-14 18:57:45

I once went family planning clinic for MAP after condom split, but I'd come on literally a couple of hours later. They didn't give me the MAP as they said it would have been impossible for me to be pregnant.

annauk1 Thu 06-Feb-14 19:58:03

Thanks so much for your replies. I have hope after reading your post NorthernLurker. I am 30, so getting on a bit where babies are concerned, especially with my reproductive system problems! I have hope smile

Melonbreath Thu 06-Feb-14 20:10:52

Yup. I'm fairly certain I did on the first day of Auty Flo, or the day before.

Bodicea Thu 06-Feb-14 20:14:55

If you ovulate at the time you are bleeding of course you can conceive. Also sperm can survive 5 days in there which increases the "window". So someone with irregular bleeding whose cycles is all over the place can easily conceive.
However someone with a regular cycle wouldn't ovulate near the time of their period so wouldn't be able to conceive.

Bodicea Thu 06-Feb-14 20:14:56

If you ovulate at the time you are bleeding of course you can conceive. Also sperm can survive 5 days in there which increases the "window". So someone with irregular bleeding whose cycles is all over the place can easily conceive.
However someone with a regular cycle wouldn't ovulate near the time of their period so wouldn't be able to conceive.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Thu 06-Feb-14 20:27:39

I think I conceived dd the day before my period started.

Naturally v short cycles (20 days) so I ovulated around day 6. Had sex at end of last cycle "just for fun" then not again until about day 8 (period days 1 - 5,flying across the world day 6 - 7.

Only realised what had happened at my 12 week scan when my dates moved by 8 days. I think they thought I was an idiot who couldn't count. I can count.

I had been on the pill for years so had forgotten how short my cycles were.

MammaTJ Thu 06-Feb-14 21:53:35

I had a mc and was told to wait until I had had three periods before trying again. I did, then fell pregnant on the night my period ended. I worked nights and didn't DTD for a while after, then found I was pregnant!

Bodicea Thu 06-Feb-14 22:25:07

People forget that you don't necessarily get pregnant the night you "DTD" as sperm can survive up there for 5 days. So it can be another 5 days before sperm meets egg: when you technically conceive.

splasheeny Thu 06-Feb-14 22:28:56

It is possible, but the unexplained bleeding may be caused by something that would affect fertility as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now