Talk

Advanced search

...to question the sense of exercise when you are sleep deprived?

(19 Posts)
LauraPashley Wed 05-Feb-14 18:17:23

Very willing to be proven wrong here!
I did couch to 5k in the summer and can now successfully run 5k/30 mins. Looking to stretch that a bit more, trying to run for 40mins etc. trying to get out 3 times a week, in reality it's working out at about 5 times over a fortnight.

BUT I am knackered!! Dc2 does not sleep, never really has, but is at an all time low just now! I have lots of work to do in the evening so a typical evening involves me working approx 9pm-11ish, bed by 11:30ish, a few broken bits of 2-3hrs sleep at a time then up 6:30ish to start all over again.

Recently when running it just feels like I'm dragging a dead weight along. I'm not always even managing the 5k any more!

Am I flogging a dead horse? Or is it worth persevering? I thought it would raise my energy levels but it seems to be doing the opposite!

nothingbyhalves Wed 05-Feb-14 18:41:43

No advice, but understand. I ran 10k 2 years ago. Used to regularly have 7k runs 3 times a week. But 2 years on I have given up. Dt's used to have buggy which I could push whilst running, but since they have gotten too big it's an ordeal just trying to find time. Joined a gym 3 weeks ago. Have managed to go once! My energy levels are at a all time low. hmm

ocelot41 Wed 05-Feb-14 19:19:19

LauraPashley you are so right. Give yourself a break.

Bar the occasional brisk turn around the park I couldn't do much else for the first year. It has taken me til my youngest is 3 to even contemplate properly getting in shape again. Keep chanting 'this too shall pass'....

Cakecrumbsinmybra Wed 05-Feb-14 19:21:14

I usually find it energizing, even if I have to drag myself along. Some days I feel much fitter than others. Some days I can't face a run and might go on my exercise bike instead. Just do what you can, now is probably not a time to be pushing yourself and setting new goals - but about keeping active, getting fresh air, etc. Don't beat yourself up over it. What about getting a yoga DVD or something too and lie in the corpse position for half an hour, meditating

LauraPashley Wed 05-Feb-14 21:48:26

Now that I could do cakecrumbs! grin

My dc are not exactly tiny so I don't know how much of a valid excuse that is, (6&2), BUT neither of them sleep well, the 2yr old especially seems out to torture me at the mo. It's 6yrs since I had an uninterrupted nights sleep, I sometimes wonder if I will suddenly turn into a whole new person when the wee one finally sleeps!

I think you are right, maintenance rather than pushing myself should be the goal atm. And sfter all before I did c25k I did NO exercise...am I sounding convincing?!

ocelot41 Thu 06-Feb-14 06:32:52

I can relate Laura.Even when one of mine EVENTUALLY 'slept through the night' he just didn't seem to need much sleep. Down at 9, a little break for a sing song (at the top of his voice) around three, and then up and full of the joys of morning at 5 . 20 ish..Urgh!

I tried EVERYTHING. But I have just found that as he has started learning all about letters and numbers in preschool SUDDENLY he is tired by 8.30 and sleeps until 6.30 and sometimes even 7. I AM A NEW WOMAN. Seriously, it is such a different bag when you can sleep until you wake naturally AND get some relaxation/chores time in the evening. It will just 'pop' at some stage and come right. Big hug though, living on survival mode for so long is really stressful.

JeanSeberg Thu 06-Feb-14 06:39:02

You also have my permission to do the corpse yoga position for half an hour.

Hey we could turn it into the new thing CYP30!

Kveta Thu 06-Feb-14 06:41:55

I keep trying to exercise too, and do manage to walk a few miles most days, but with a toddler who wakes every two hours or so, it is like wading through treacle. So I think yanbu to wonder how to exercise with no sleep, as I also find it totally exhausting doing anything at all most days. DD actually slept through the other night though, and I did a really long walk with lots of hills, the type that normally makes me cry because I am so shattered, but I felt brilliant after it. So I am looking forward to her sleeping a bit more often!

cozietoesie Thu 06-Feb-14 06:52:06

I did some sums and realized that the cost of an exercise bike on sale on Amazon was much less than a year's overall charges to the local gym - and I could us it without leaving the house. (Or even watching a DVD or telly if I was really naughty. blush)

Some mornings it's a bit of a grind to get up on it but there's no question that I saw the lack of it after several days 'holiday' during the festive season. My body felt sluggish and loose. Nowadays, I usually give myself the weekend off exercise but the weekday routines definitely benefit me.

If you have room and some spare funds, that's worth considering, I think.

badbride Thu 06-Feb-14 07:49:41

Dear Laura,

You are doing this the wrong way around. Make the kids run 5k each day and I guarantee you a full night's sleep grin

On a more serious note: it's worth doing some exercise because it helps you deal with stress and can protect you against the physiological effects of stress

badbride Thu 06-Feb-14 07:51:14

Sorry, posted too soon: meant to add, obviously, you don't want to push yourself too hard. But to answer you OP, yes, exercise does make sense (in moderation), IMO

cozietoesie Thu 06-Feb-14 07:57:01

I'd agree - and it's also worth noting that a little bit of exercise (even if you feel that it's not as much as you personally should be doing) keeps the system going. It's much harder to start up again at any point if you've stopped for some length of time.

Bear in mind that it's also great Me Time. While your body is working away, your mind can range free and clear - and you may enjoy that in your situation.

msmoss Thu 06-Feb-14 09:27:29

I've been here still am actually, and I would say that yes it is worth it overall. I think life is just easier when you're fit.

MrsMook Thu 06-Feb-14 09:28:08

I'd try a different plan that fits your life and energy levels better. I sleep better for exercising. If I've been sedentary for a couple of weeks I go twichy at night. Although DS 2 still heavily controls my sleep, at least I sleep well when I get the chance from exercising.

msmoss Thu 06-Feb-14 09:29:07

It might be better to phrase that as life is harder when you're not fit, as I think the word easy could be a bit misleading smile

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Thu 06-Feb-14 09:32:28

YANBU. Hard exercise does energise you in the long term, but only if you're getting enough rest. I find when I'm training hard I need more sleep.

A few walks in the fresh air would probably do you loads of good, but if I were you I would save the harder stuff for when you are better rested. Listen to your body.

Mim78 Thu 06-Feb-14 09:33:36

I did read somewhere that you lose some of the benefits of exercise if you don't rest afterwards and give your muscles time to recover.

Can anybody help you to get some rest as this seems to be the big issue rather than whether or not you should do exercise?

LauraPashley Thu 06-Feb-14 12:53:25

Thank you all, lots of points to ponder! Squeezing everything in is hard, I work 4 days, dh works shifts, we go days just passing each other in the doorway as he comes in and I go out and vice versa. So there is always that aspect of "what should i use the time for"- in the rare instance that kids are taken care of, I am not at work or working - do I use that time to rest or exercise? Or do housework?! Etc etc.
I am glad that no one is telling me to man up and work through it though! Dd2 was up for about 2hrs last night and slept twitchily in between that - I am just about on the floor!

ocelot41 Fri 07-Feb-14 06:37:01

You poor thing. That sounds really hard. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now