Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why toilet seats don't last...

(49 Posts)
EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 05-Feb-14 17:49:14

My children appear to be pissing through the metal that holds them together. Third one in about 2 years has just given up.

Are my children unusual? Do they have extra corrosive wee?

ParsleyTheLioness Wed 05-Feb-14 17:50:18

I think the fittings are poorer quality than they used to be.

DuckworthLewis Wed 05-Feb-14 17:52:24

I broke ours by sitting/falling onto it while pissed.

Frankly, your excuse sounds a lot better...

honeybeeridiculous Wed 05-Feb-14 17:53:04

YANBU we seem to always be buying loo seats! Iv tried the more expensive seat and the fittings still corrode, I blame the men for not aiming properly grin

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 05-Feb-14 17:56:02

It didn't used to be a problem before we had children.

So either - the quality of the fittings has decreased in the last 9 years, or they are not child-wee resistant.

If not, they should be.

Magix Wed 05-Feb-14 17:57:34

I'm on my fourth in 5 years . And that ones been broke for months confusedconfused it is driving me loopy. I just don't know why they are all braking confused

Joysmum Wed 05-Feb-14 17:57:53

The quality of the fittings has worsened.

Nousernameforme Wed 05-Feb-14 17:58:38

you need one with proper metal fittings so many of them are just foil covered plastic and they do wee through those in no time or at least all the males in my house do

DragonMamma Wed 05-Feb-14 18:03:38

Same problem here too. I only bought a new one the other week and I purposely try and pay a bit more in the hope that it will last more than a few months.

I think DD sliding on and off the seat is the cause as DH has a pretty good aim and DS is in nappies. Either that or it's me drunkenly sitting on it most weekends.

DuckworthLewis Wed 05-Feb-14 18:05:50

Also, in my defence <<ahem>>

I think the cleaning products we use nowadays are much more corrosive than in yesteryear.

I used to use Cillit Bang - fantastic at cleaning, but I shudder to think what's in it...

picnicbasketcase Wed 05-Feb-14 18:07:18

I think the steam from baths and showers makes the fittings weaken. And I refuse to think otherwise.

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Wed 05-Feb-14 18:07:27

I think it's the piss too. We've lived here 3? Years and I have our sixth seat ready to go on. Four children, three are boys and there always seems to be stray piss.

shewhowines Wed 05-Feb-14 18:07:30

What are you lot doing with them confused

Mine are the same ones we had when our house was built 14 years ago. They are as good as new.

magimedi Wed 05-Feb-14 18:09:20

I also think it's down to the cleaning products. You really do need to rinse them off or the metal corrodes. Think what they are designed to shift. grin

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 05-Feb-14 18:21:39

It's not steam, as it's in the downstairs toilet.

I think the inferior fitting theory is correct - shewhowines has old ones with proper metal (and maybe no boys?)

picnicbasketcase Wed 05-Feb-14 18:41:00

Damn it. That's my theory up in...piss.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 05-Feb-14 18:50:11

Was only thinking this 10 mins ago, as the sodding fell off the toilet again. Wooden seat is perfect but the hinges have rotted.
I guess it's the design flaw that makes the bog seat industry sustainable.

JennyOnAPlate Wed 05-Feb-14 19:25:35

Ours is 9 years old and fine. Although I have girls...

EndoplasmicReticulum Wed 05-Feb-14 19:40:00

Harriet - I suppose if they lasted for 20 years the manufacturers wouldn't sell so many, it's not the sort of thing you change on a whim.

Come to think of it, when we moved into our last house it still had the original avocado toilet, with an avocado seat. Should have kept it. (that's avocado coloured, not made of actual avocado).

DirtieBertie Wed 05-Feb-14 19:44:08

I think children tend to wriggle up on to loo seats as well as their bums are quite low down and this puts stress on the fixings. Adults are higher so just sit on the seat so don't stress the fixings so much.

Methe Wed 05-Feb-14 19:45:53

Toilet seats are a pain in the arse! Literally!

I'd pay good money for a toilet seat guaranteed to lays longer than 6 months.

Artandco Wed 05-Feb-14 19:48:16

Really? I've never changed a toilet seat in my life!

Although dh and both boys sit down to wee if that makes any difference? I couldn't cope with piss all over the place!

Waltonswatcher1 Wed 05-Feb-14 19:51:45

Ikea,cheap as chips to buy, but actually last a lot longer than other makes.
Not pretty but perfect for corrosive pees!

OtherBarry Wed 05-Feb-14 19:52:03

Mine broke yesterday when I sat on it but it's five years old now, I think the fittings do corrode otherwise they'd never sell any

mousmous Wed 05-Feb-14 19:55:52

it's the bleach.
just use soap and water and the metal hinges will not turn green disintegrate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now