Talk

Advanced search

School fines for absence, what is the criteria in YOUR area?

(11 Posts)
Sparklysilversequins Wed 05-Feb-14 17:45:49

I'm on another thread at the moment regarding these fines and the criteria for receiving a fine for unauthorised absence seems to differ from area to area.

Eg in my area it's a PCN per absence, which could be one day or one week, it's the period of absence that is fined for so £60 for the whole time. Others say it's £60 per half a day shock in their area.

AIBU to think its going to be very difficult to enforce this is the guidance is unclear and differs from area to area? Legally can local authorities make these decisions? Doesn't I have to be consistent throughout?

Just wondering what others think?

jacks365 Wed 05-Feb-14 18:02:30

My area states the PCN will only be issued for absences of 10 sessions or more per term. So only 1 per term.

meditrina Wed 05-Feb-14 18:06:39

The law provides for the maximum fine. LAs can opt to use a lower rate, but cannot exceed it. Would people really want those that use a lower rate to be forced to level up to the maximum?

jacks365 Wed 05-Feb-14 18:10:27

What is the maximum in law though.

willowash Wed 05-Feb-14 18:42:10

Dd's school sent letters out last week to inform us of 10 days off a term will be a £60 fine they will also fine for continual lateness too. And unauthorised absence will be a £120 per child now and not £60 per child/parent as before.

lljkk Wed 05-Feb-14 19:00:40

Stated here. You might get away with 4 days/half term before fines are triggered.

stargirl1701 Wed 05-Feb-14 19:02:01

None. I live in Scotland so it doesn't apply here.

revealall Wed 05-Feb-14 19:08:25

My LEA is Hampshire. Whilst I know the law, it also states that an LEA should produce a policy for guidance. Can't find one for 2013/14 anywhere.
Would be very interested if anyone else can.

Stinklebell Wed 05-Feb-14 19:18:16

We had a letter from DD2's primary last week that stated £60 per parent, per child for each period of unauthorised absence and kicks in once a child's attendance falls below 85% during each half term period.

So, providing your child has had no sickness, 1 or 2 days unauthorised absence wouldn't get you a fine, a 5 day holiday probably would.

Lateness without good reason could also earn you a fine as it's worked out on how many unauthorised absences there are recorded - missed registration (whether you're 2 minutes or 2 hours late) means 1 unauthorised absence and there are 2 registrations per day

monahue Wed 05-Feb-14 19:24:31

My local authority are not going to issue fines.

revealall Wed 05-Feb-14 19:33:55

willowash - £120 is if you don't pay the £60 if you fail to pay within 28d days. They aren't allowed to make up their own penalty fines. They can fine each parent though so perhaps that what they mean?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now