Talk

Advanced search

I think I probably am - communication from school.

(19 Posts)
theborg Wed 05-Feb-14 12:10:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 05-Feb-14 12:12:46

If she is on school action plus then she needs an IEP. How does the teacher get to 'not believe in them'? I would take this further.

CailinDana Wed 05-Feb-14 12:12:48

Is there a SENCo in the school?

Becles Wed 05-Feb-14 12:15:01

Not meaning to float a radical idea, but rather than mithering on here why not pro-actively call to book a time to meet / speak with the teacher to discuss any issues or concerns you have?

theborg Wed 05-Feb-14 12:31:59

MerryMarigold Wed 05-Feb-14 12:36:12

Just pester teacher for monthly meetings. She will soon communicate better and more regularly. And is there no Senco?

FancyAnOlive Wed 05-Feb-14 12:41:30

I think she should definitely have an IEP - even if she was at School Action she should have one. I didn't know they were not statutory but even if not they are in the SEN Code of Practice which coincidentally I have in front of me. It's not good enough for a teacher to say they don't believe in them! If you have IEPS then you have reviews 2/3 times a year as well as parents evenings. And on School Action Plus your dd should be getting some kind of help from external agencies; or the school should.

I would go in and see the SENCO and I would take a copy of the relevant bit of the Code of Practice with me (downloadable). If that gets you nowhere I would contact local Parent Partnership and see if they can help you negotiate for this with the school.

theborg Wed 05-Feb-14 12:42:02

freemanbatch Wed 05-Feb-14 12:46:56

I've just had a letter today about my DD's review for this term eventhough I had a meeting last week with her teacher and parents evening is only a few weeks away. At her school any child on school action or school action plus has a review every term and its pretty much open access to the teachers to discuss issues so it surprises me that you're finding it so hard to get information. It doesn't look good on the school that they don't communicate with parents!

If I was you I'd ring the school and ask for an appointment with the SENCo and ask for a copy of their policy on dealing with SEND children so you know what you should expect from them even if they aren't quite delivering it ;-)

theborg Wed 05-Feb-14 12:47:18

AwfulMaureen Wed 05-Feb-14 12:47:20

OP I do feel for you....here's what I would do...forget the fact that the teacher is busy and has many responsibilities...so do you...your DD. You need to perhaps begin emailing her...ask her...say "I know you're busy and I hate to bother you at pick up, so I thuought it might be better for us to stay in contact via email...then you can reply at your leisure and when you have time."

theborg Wed 05-Feb-14 12:53:04

theborg Wed 05-Feb-14 13:10:37

theborg Wed 05-Feb-14 13:11:54

longjane Wed 05-Feb-14 13:16:12

Make appointment with teacher . For after school.

theborg Wed 05-Feb-14 14:39:52

MerryMarigold Wed 05-Feb-14 15:00:09

My friend is a SENCO. She says the parents that pester get more.

How many appointments have you had? One appointment a term is fine. And I don't really understand why these issues were not brought up in a parent's evening. What on earth did they spend time on then?

I would write a list of the issues as you see them. Ask for an appointment with the teacher and the SENCO. Sometimes you need to be demanding, especially if a teacher is not on board.

theborg Wed 05-Feb-14 17:44:34

MerryMarigold Wed 05-Feb-14 20:18:14

10 minutes at parent's evening should definitely cover areas she is struggling in and things she is not coping with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now