Talk

Advanced search

to think my toddler eats too much?!

(37 Posts)
TeaAndFag Tue 04-Feb-14 21:56:09

DD is 19 months old, nearly 10lbs at birth so has never exactly been small, she fed for England as a baby and is still the same as a toddler! Now matter how much food I give her she still asks for more 'num nums' and if I have food she will eat most of that even if she has just finished her own meal! Typical day goes like this: cereal for breakfast, packet of raisins on the way to taking DS to nursery, pot of grapes for way back (if she's not eating while in the pushchair she screams), toast mid-morning then lunch of sandwich, fruit, crisps, yoghurt, more snacks while on nursery run, dinner (she doesn't have a small portion either), more yoghurt or banana. She doesn't drink milk but drinks water/weak squash throughout the day. Does anyone else's child eat CONSTANTLY or is it just mine? Obviously I don't have a problem with feeding her if she's hungry (all the time!) but I feel like her while life is just focused on food and am worried that it could be a sign of something? Worms maybe? An actual health condition? DS eats enough to sustain a gnat so maybe I'm just comparing them and her appetite is completely normal???!!!

squoosh Tue 04-Feb-14 21:58:27

Is she overweight?

Fishandjam Tue 04-Feb-14 21:58:46

How are her centiles? Is she tall/long for her age?

I have a DD the same age as yours and she can eat for Britain too if the mood takes her.

AwfulMaureen Tue 04-Feb-14 21:59:01

Well is she overweight? Is she very active?

GlitzAndGiggles Tue 04-Feb-14 21:59:56

I don't think it's too bad if she's active but remember toddlers don't need feeding on demand

WorraLiberty Tue 04-Feb-14 22:00:08

I find toddlers/kids want to snack when they're bored.

Can you try to occupy her more and distract her when she's asking for snacks?

It's not like she's hungry (or I doubt it anyway) and if she screams in the buggy, it's because she knows that screaming = instant snack.

It's stressful but let her scream/try to distract her. She'll soon get into the habit of just looking around at the environment and forget all about food.

TeaAndFag Tue 04-Feb-14 22:01:03

No, not overweight. She has always been long but definitely wouldn't say fat. Maybe she just really does need all that food?!

Fairylea Tue 04-Feb-14 22:03:29

Sounds similar to my who is also 19 months. He isn't overweight but is a tall child,he currently wears age 2-3 clothes and size 7 shoes!

I think as long as snacks are healthy and they're not eating out of boredom it's fine. My dd was the same and she is now 11 and tall and thin as a rake!

TeaAndFag Tue 04-Feb-14 22:04:37

Worra, I think that's what it is. She knows the minute she starts screaming I'll give her food and she'll stop so we're both happy. blush Maybe I need to try distraction if I know she's only asking for food out of boredom.

sandiy Tue 04-Feb-14 22:06:02

I can t see much protein in there except the yogurt.Maybe try some cheese and ham chopped up,especially if she's not drinking much milk.

Fishandjam Tue 04-Feb-14 22:06:04

So long as she's eating healthily I personally wouldn't worry, but maybe have a chat with your GP/HV?

TeaAndFag Tue 04-Feb-14 22:08:51

sandiy we eat quite a bit of meat so dinner is normally chicken and veg, something made from mince etc. Maybe a more substantial/protein based lunch would help though.

notnowbernard Tue 04-Feb-14 22:09:16

I have 3dc

All were eating similar amounts to what you describe in OP at that age

CONSTANTLY wanted food

None of them were/are overweight - in fact the older 2 are titch tbh

All have big appetites now, the older 2 aren't as on the case as they were, but they do eat big meals (ie 2 bowls cereal + toast)

I do think that although my dc clearly have good/ big appetites, they also used to want food habitually , ie expected it as part of routine (like your dd associating buggy with food)

I wouldn't worry

jenecho Tue 04-Feb-14 22:10:18

You could be describing my toddler. Think some of them just have big appetites, and i figure as long as its not junk that shes constantly eating its ok. She has actually been ill for a few weeks and off her food- its a relief that she has got her appetite back as she must be ok now!

TheRedQueen Tue 04-Feb-14 22:10:52

Is she perhaps lacking fat in her diet? I seem to remember that toddlers need a lot of their calories from fat not carbohydrates/sugars.

AwfulMaureen Tue 04-Feb-14 22:11:43

I agree it sounds more like bordom and her using food as entertainment. The only thing I'd say is watch the raisins! They're shocking for teeth you know.

WorraLiberty Tue 04-Feb-14 22:12:13

I know what you mean OP

Perhaps if you tried not to think of the snacks as 'food'?

It sounds crazy but it's easier to deny a child a 'snack' than it is to deny them 'food'.

Denying a snack doesn't tug at the heart strings because a snack is something we have between meals...but deny 'food' sounds Dickensian.

Even though snacks are still food.

Does any of this make sense? grin

TeaAndFag Tue 04-Feb-14 22:12:45

notnowbernard, glad to hear I'm not alone! I worried when my DS woudlnt eat now I'm worrying cos DD wouldn't stop! I guess we'll always worry about something eh?

Fairylea Tue 04-Feb-14 22:13:32

For interest this is what ds has had today....

2 weetabix and milk
After school run shared (stole!) my toast and jam!
1 banana
Ham and pickle sandwich for lunch followed by small fromage frais
small piece of homemade chocolate cake with butter icing
2 satsumas
Dinner was cottage pie and veg
Then he had a biscuit mainly because older dd had one and it didn't seem fair otherwise. ..

So that's an average day. It's all spread out though.

17leftfeet Tue 04-Feb-14 22:14:07

I would try something more substantial for breakfast -boiled egg and soldiers sort of thing

Raisins and grapes cause sugar highs and then lows so one or the other would be better

Eating can be a habit -would it be possible for her to walk rather than take the pushchair for a bit to try and break the association?

jacks365 Tue 04-Feb-14 22:19:40

I would recommend more protein earlier in the day so for example my dd has boiled egg and toast for breakfast, cheese and fruit as a snack, cottage pie for lunch, milk and biscuits mid afternoon then sandwiches or something like beans on toast for tea. She needs to eat her biggest meal at lunchtime, but of a pain but I normally keep leftovers from the night before.

Twinsplusonesurprise Tue 04-Feb-14 22:23:50

I worry my twins 2.8yo don't eat enough. Found this guidance:

How much per day

One serving for a child this age is about a quarter the size of an adult serving.

2 cups dairy (1 cup milk or yogurt; 1 cup = 1 1/2 ounces natural cheese or 2 ounces processed cheese)
4-5 ounces grains (1 ounce = 1 slice of bread; 1/3 cup ready-to-eat cereal, or 1/4 cup of cooked rice, cooked pasta, or cooked cereal)
1 to 1 1/2 cups fruit (fresh, frozen, canned, dried and/or 100 percent juice) Emphasize whole fruits rather than juice.
1 1/2 cups vegetables
3 to 4 ounces protein (1 ounce of meat, poultry, or fish; 1/4 cup cooked dry beans; or 1 egg)

Hth.

BuntyCollocks Tue 04-Feb-14 22:26:24

My 13 mo dd has been like this since starting weaning. She is tall and skinny, and eats more than her tall, skinny, 3yo brother.

Tbh it's embarrassing eating out with her when she points at other tables' food, "THAT! TA!"

bloob Tue 04-Feb-14 22:30:55

My DS is like this. "Nak nak" CONSTANTLY! He's 19m.

He can easily eat 3 weetabix for breakfast! Followed by a snack at 9/10 am lunch at 11.30 another snack at 2 when up from nap, another at 3.30 when collecting dd from school and then a big dinner at about 6!

He's teeny though! In 12-18 month clothes and I have to search everywhere for trousers narrow enough not to fall down.

I have no idea. There are times it drives me bonkers. I've barely finished making the last snack before he wants another!

AwfulMaureen Tue 04-Feb-14 22:44:54

aw at "Nak nak" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now