Talk

Advanced search

To LOATHE the weightwatchers advertisement with the mother and daughter?

(27 Posts)
MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Tue 04-Feb-14 21:19:43

What the hell message is that?

To me it seems to be saying...

Your relationship with your daughter would improve if you weren't so fat.

I love my mum even more, now she's not fat.

^^
Clearly this is not the message they are trying to get across but I certainly do not think the relationship with my own mum would improve if she lost weight. How bizarre! A terrible message for young girls I think.
I'm not ignoring the confidence that improves with losing weight or the health benefits but still.

What a pile of crap <gavel>

Joysmum Tue 04-Feb-14 21:21:25

Of course that's the message they are trying to get across, to guilt trip mums into joining.

ishouldcocoa Tue 04-Feb-14 21:21:48

I agree.
I struggle with the "I've lost weight, therefore the relationship I have with my daughter has got better" -

Where's the logic in that??

MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Tue 04-Feb-14 21:28:07

You know what Joysmum - you're right, it IS the message they want. As if unhappily overweight mums don't feel bad enough now they can rest easy that they are also destroying their relationships with their daughters. FFS. Now I'm really angry!

MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Tue 04-Feb-14 21:29:30

And fwiw as someone who has dieted with varied levels of success over the last 20 years I will never be going back to weight watchers. Arses.

RedPencils Tue 04-Feb-14 21:34:58

Such a strange advert. I don't get what they think they are saying.

Youcanringmybell Tue 04-Feb-14 21:35:32

YANBU
I felt exactly the same way! That advert makes me feel like a complete failure as as size 16 mother if an 8year old daughter.
Bastards angry angry

MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Tue 04-Feb-14 21:44:15

Youcanringmybell -

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
― Eleanor Roosevelt

No bloody way 'weightwatchers' should make you feel inferior. Fuckers. I'm sure you are a great mum. What the hell should your weight have to do with that! Ignore the money grubbing, manipulative bastards and treat them with the disdain they deserve angry

stiffstink Tue 04-Feb-14 21:46:27

What bugs me is that they have this apparently fabulous relationship but Harry is painting her nails and Dorothy is on her tablet. They aren't chatting or even making eye contact so despite the "I'm not fat so my daughter likes me" message, the advert is a crock of shit in soft focus.

It would be more palatable for me if they were holding hands whilst potholing or laughing on pogo sticks.

Fuck off Weight Watchers.

TheCrackFox Tue 04-Feb-14 21:48:25

The message seems to be "when I was a fatty I was totally unlovable" which is just charming.

Funnyfoot Tue 04-Feb-14 21:55:53

Lurked for ages and ages but registered just to say................

I know the women and her daughter in the advert!

Disclaimer I also think the advert sends out the wrong messagesmile

sunshinemmum Tue 04-Feb-14 21:57:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hopasholic Tue 04-Feb-14 22:06:19

I agree, it's fucking disgusting, who do they think they are?

I couldn't believe it when I first saw it and actually rewound it as I thought I'd misheard it. Shame on them.

MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Tue 04-Feb-14 22:12:44

Funny foot - so they are real people?! I presumed they were just actresses. Dish the dirt. Is it true, they are much happier now mum isn't a fatty?! Exactly how shallow are they?
(apologies if they are your lovely real life friends but their advert is still SHITE grin)

Funnyfoot Tue 04-Feb-14 22:16:06

Myarse
She was never obese but she was unhappy with her weight. They are a lovely family. I haven't seen them for a long time so seeing the advert the other night knocked me off the sofa. I had to rewind it 3 times to make sure.
shock

FetchezLaVache Tue 04-Feb-14 22:20:48

YANBU. Like Hopasholic I assumed I'd misheard. Fucking disgusting.

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Tue 04-Feb-14 22:26:49

YANBU and I especially hate that the idea of mothers discussing their weight constantly with their daughters when it's proven that they are more likely to end up with eating disorders and have low self esteem that way sad

you certainly don't bond that way

MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Tue 04-Feb-14 22:31:55

Hmmm. I'm unsure what to say now funny foot. I obviously loathe the advert and I doubly loathe the message. I feel sorry for them if that is what improved their relationship but good for the mum for doing something about it if it has made her happier. That's about the best I can do.

Funnyfoot Tue 04-Feb-14 22:37:56

Say whatever you like Myarse its fine smile . I hate the advert too. The people on it maybe real but the scenario is not. I have no idea why she agreed to it.
However if I do happen to see her again I will say "Mumsnet (and me) want to know your reasoning's behind doing such a pants advert" I will ensure I update accordingly grin

Icelollycraving Tue 04-Feb-14 22:44:28

I hate the advert. She looks like Jane Seymour but it doesn't seem like her voice,but of a much younger woman. The whole message is crappola.

MyArseIsbiggerThanYours Tue 04-Feb-14 22:49:12

Funny foot - yes do! I expect it was all about ££££ (y'know, to pay for all the meetings she had to attend and all the extra 'fun' they're now having wink)

KittensoftPuppydog Tue 04-Feb-14 22:50:32

They just seem like wankers to me.

SauceForTheGander Tue 04-Feb-14 22:50:48

What I find weird about that ad is that I thought the voice belonged to the DD

Piscivorus Tue 04-Feb-14 22:52:25

If Weight Watchers worked we would all be at our perfect weight and they would be out of business. This is just a way to manipulate us into increasing their profits. I won't be.

Famzilla Tue 04-Feb-14 22:55:25

DH and I were saying that there's no way they were mother and daughter. How funny that they are!

I agree though, nasty fat shaming advert.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now