Talk

Advanced search

to think I was tricked into buying glasses?

(6 Posts)
AroundTheGlobe Tue 04-Feb-14 20:54:50

I've been getting bad headaches lately and so went to my doctor who recommended that I get an eye test done (my job involves me sat at a computer most of the day)

Went to the opticians and was told that I am short sighted (even though I could read the smallest print on the card she handed me to read out?)

I chose quite cheapish frame (not because they were cheap but because I liked them) and felt the person kept trying to push me more towards designer ones.

It felt very weird when I first worn them and then today I wore then for probably about 20 minutes late afternoon whilst using the computer and when I took them off my vision was really blurry (it sort of felt drunk blurry).

Is this normal and I've just got to get used to them?

Or aibu to think I was sort of tricked into buying these glasses and wearing them could possibly make my eyesight worse?

Osmiornica Tue 04-Feb-14 20:57:56

Being short sighted doesn't mean you can't read close up - that's long sighted. They test for everything.

If you're not used to glasses it can take a while but they normally recommend you wear them for a while rather than on and off. If you still don't get on with them go back and get them checked again.

I doubt they'd need to con you into glasses - they must make enough from people like me who really need them and have to pay for all the extras.

MirandaGoshawk Tue 04-Feb-14 20:58:26

To address your last point first, I they won't make your eyesight worse - a lens in front of your eyes is just like a lens put in front of a telescope. All that might happen is that your headaches get worse as your brain struggles to make sense of what's in front of it.

But re the rest, I've been prescribed glasses that were way too strong in the past. Could you try some of the off-the-peg reading glasses? Boots sell them for about £20.

OatcakeCravings Tue 04-Feb-14 21:00:31

Whenever I get a new prescription for my glasses it takes me a good week to get used to them. I would persevere.

Wabbitty Tue 04-Feb-14 21:01:29

Short sighted means that things that are closer to you will be clearer than things that are a distance away. Basically I am very short sighted but would be able to read small print close to me but not a licence plate.

CrohnicallyFarting Tue 04-Feb-14 21:02:54

I wear glasses and every time I get a new prescription it makes me feel vaguely drunk and the floor seems to tilt and slide in a strange way.

The next day when I wear my new glasses, everything is fine. It seems to be the contrast between the old/new prescription that causes the feeling. After all, glasses bend the light that reaches your eyes- so things will appear on a slightly different part of your retina than before- so your brain has to adjust to the new information reaching it.

I would try your glasses again tomorrow, for the whole day, and again on Thurs and see what happens. If there's no improvement by Thurs I'd take them back and get them checked as it is possible to make slight mistakes like getting the prescription too strong, or the lens slightly off centre in the frame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now